Brad Mayes

Home Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Brad Mayes

This topic contains 25 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by jacbees4822 jacbees4822 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

First:

QBDad, you are welcome on here, and I understand that you are representing your son and your knowledge of him. I respect you’ll go to the mat for your son, and your posting of your cell # was proof of that, but nonetheless I edited that out (keeping your comments otherwise unedited).

Second:

I think everyone on here feels like this season is not going as planned. I don’t think Brad thought he played the perfect game. However, as hawktalker said, in the post-game presser he owned up to his mistakes. The same, by the way, was true of Jimmy Mitchell after the Yale game. He took responsibility there for what was happening as a unit, something a team captain is supposed to do. He didn’t throw anyone under the bus. As far as I’m concerned, both kids have displayed admirable traits as men in those press conferences. Things haven’t gone as planned, but despite that, they owned up to the fact that the outcomes are not acceptable and that their play needs to improve.

You can tell these two kids are going to be alright in life in the way that they stood up like that. In a way, though, it makes it more painful, because you want these kids to succeed. I didn’t want them to come to Lehigh to experience this.

I have thoughts about how things might be improved, however, I am not a coach, and I realize 1) this isn’t Madden and 2) I’m not in the business of telling someone how to do their job. What I do know is giving up 276 yards and 3 TDs to a 2nd string tailback is unacceptable, but also, if you get the ball first in a game and there is a turnover – whomever is at fault – that’s unacceptable, too. You aren’t ever going to achieve your goals if you do things like that, and a lot of them are happening week to week. Too many of them. In all phases. I also believe you can’t try to pass off a performance like last week’s as “improvement” in a post-game presser. Like the Yale game, I saw mistakes in all phases, and all those mistakes contributed to losing the game.

This is a place with high expectations. Every year Lehigh is expected to compete for a championship, bar none. This is not Austin Peay where winning a game or two and taking baby steps to contention is something to be celebrated. Lehigh is a team where even with an 0-4 start and giving up 65 points to Penn and 56 points to Yale the team and coaches are expected to compete for a Patriot League championship in November. You can’t win a championship every year – that’s understood. But you have to be close, or pretty close to getting there. Nobody called 2015 a failure when Lehigh was ten yards away from taking out Colgate.

I think it’s on the coaching staff to get this thing turned around this week, so that the Colgate game is competitive, and from there, everyone can move forward. It will be immensely hard. There will need to be success against Wagner, and a lot of it, to get the confidence to a level that we can think of the Colgate game as a chance for victory. In the end, that is the coaching staff’s responsibility. I hope they appreciate how difficult a spot they have put themselves in.

MLK
    Participant

I read this Forum as a joke because of the postings from the lack of knowledge “Never was” posters ” who can evaluate all aspects of the game. As a former lineman and linebacker Coach & Official I can tell you unless you know the play call, defense, all players reactions you can;t tell if there was a mistake , whose it was,and what ever. I don’t don”t think I should be the all seeing pontificator, but a few observations’
    Do you know the receivers route,did he run it, was it a spot pass, did some player or official get in the way, did the QB get a 3 count to release the ball. I speak from the experience as a former D-1 Official who predicted Marino would never make it, but Blackledge would.
    This kid Mayes is one of the best. He has a quick release and foe the edification of some he reads all his receivers and will go through them with the time provided. He is a passer Schaf was a runner big difference. Also who had more picks?
    This kid Mayes is someone his Dad can be proud of and it is a shame his whole post was taken down. I would love to meet him since I followed his son after he commited. Best QB in Blue-Gray Game. Would have started as a Freshman if not for commitment to Schaf.
    Posters:
    Make certain prospects read all this garbage so they can decide to go elsewhere.
    As far as Coen .
    As Duffy Doughty famed Coach said ,” Do you know what is like to have a 19 year old run on the field with your check in his hand”. You never know what they will do.
    I have now made my comments and will recede into silence.

LehighGuy
    Participant

Brad has been playing great, sure he messes up just like every other QB in the country. to bad he stuck with this D. He could have a pro career after LU. He will be all conference.

objective observer
    Participant

Everyone on here are the best!

Great comments and great support for the team!

The team is what it is!

A good patriot league team

I sometimes forget and need to remind myself –
    ITS ONLY A GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need to remember that!!

Go Lehigh!!

LehighGuy
    Participant

OO, i bet you wont see QBDad at GU game, LMAO!

objective observer
    Participant

if I took everything personal said about my kid

i would be writing for months-

van
    van
    Participant

if I took everything personal said about my kid

i would be writing for months-

somehow I find that very believable

LehighGuy
    Participant

Who is or was your kid OO, I’ll tell u about him LOL

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

MLK and QBDad have added a great deal to this conversation, including offering a huge reality check for us fan-posters.

Both sides of the ball take 11 players executing their individual jobs properly to succeed. This is the ultimate team sport.

I’ve watched LU football for almost 50 years. Brad compares very favorably in many parts of his game to LU greats such as McQuilken, Rieker and Stambaugh. They all did things a little differently. Like Stambaugh, Brad was an incredibly quick study.

I think I said this last year, but LU’s offense may be as good as it ever has been. You can’t help but want to watch it play every week.

But it’s saddled with what has consistently been one of the worst defenses LU has ever had, which transcends numerous classes of players and graduates. Seems like a coaching issue to me.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster
    jacbees4822
    jacbees4822
    Participant

Good for you Mr. Mayes. It is a complete joke that “Brad Mayes” is even part of the conversation at 0-4. 38, 46, 56, 65……that spells 0-4. QB seems to be the easy target for those who know little about the game. First year starter putting up amazing numbers and we are talking about progressions, etc. What??

Nearly every FCS team in country, and quite a few FBS teams would love to have Brad right now. Let’s get real on this forum. Should not be a venue to take cheap shots at kids.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The Bonds That Tie The Lehigh Family Are Strong, May They Never Be Broken