LU makes the Track/Field NCAA Championships

Home Forum Lehigh Sports Other Sports/Suggest New Category LU makes the Track/Field NCAA Championships

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  TMH 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

LU808
    Participant

From the LU Athletics web site

…..Senior Lucas Warning qualified for the NCAA Championships in the shot put on Friday after placing ninth in Friday’s shot put prelims, posting the second furthest shot put in school history (18.82m). The mark is bested only by his Patriot League Championship winning throw of 18.98m on May 6. He will be the only shot putter in Eugene not from a Power Five Conference school.

Courtney Avery, headed back to the NCAA Finals for the second straight year after she placed fifth on Friday in the high jump, tying her own school record at 1.82 meters. This is the first time under the current qualifying criteria that Lehigh has had two different athletes qualify for the finals at the NCAA Championship.

TMH
    Participant

Lucas Warning finishes 10th out of 24 shot putters which makes him 2nd team AA. The top 8 earn 1st team honors.
    Congratulations!! Good news is he is back for another season.

http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/external/track-field/results/d1/outdoor17/final/017-1_compiled.htm

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Lucas Warning finishes 10th out of 24 shot putters which makes him 2nd team AA. The top 8 earn 1st team honors.
    Congratulations!! Good news is he is back for another season.

Great accomplishment. As for being back for another season, he has used up his eligibility to compete indoors. Theoretically he could return only to throw outdoors – IF his missed spring season was due to injury – but the article says this was his last meet.

TMH
    Participant

Yes, I was referring only to outdoors. Lucas already announced in an interview a few days ago that he will be returning to compete next season.

http://lehighsports.com/news/2017/6/6/womens-track-and-field-seniors-warning-avery-reflect-before-traveling-to-ncaa-championships.aspx

You can fast forward to the 5:00 mark if you want.

The amazing thing about Lucas is that his claim to fame prior to Lehigh was finishing 15th in his District in HS. Now he is 10th in the nation.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Yes, I was referring only to outdoors. Lucas already announced in an interview a few days ago that he will be returning to compete next season.

http://lehighsports.com/news/2017/6/6/womens-track-and-field-seniors-warning-avery-reflect-before-traveling-to-ncaa-championships.aspx

You can fast forward to the 5:00 mark if you want.

The amazing thing about Lucas is that his claim to fame prior to Lehigh was finishing 15th in his District in HS. Now he is 10th in the nation.

Has he said he is definitely returning to Lehigh? His quote doesn’t say anything about competing for Lehigh next year – only that he is going to be throwing the shot next year. But that could mean for a club or some other graduate program. If he is returning, the LU coach and SID people apparently are not aware of it:

“The All-American performance caps what has been a tremendous and accolade-filled Lehigh career.”

“Knowing this was the culmination of his career, and getting that close to getting three more throws and extending your season at the highest possible as a collegian,” “said head coach Matt Utesch.

“Warning finishes his Lehigh career holding the top 12 indoor and top four outdoor shot puts in school history.”

TMH
    Participant

You could be right in that I noticed that Warning, who was a chemical engineering major at Lehigh was looking to parlay that into the nuclear engineering field which Lehigh does not have. He may be using his last year of eligibility at the graduate level elsewhere. I’ll see what I can find out.
    Good catch.

TMH
    Participant

Although the competition is still not over, it appears that Courtney Avery will finish in a 4 way tie for 6th place based on fewer misses. I believe the top 8 qualify as 1st team All Americans.

Congratulations Courtney…..is she the 1st one for Lehigh?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The Bonds That Tie The Lehigh Family Are Strong, May They Never Be Broken