Nate Hope

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

Nate Hope

Post by RichH » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:25 pm

He has joined his roommate in the portal.
Dont know the whys so I wont speculate on the wisdom of their choice.
Their timing sucks for the team. I get why risk injury now. Still a very selfish move

datruph

Re: Nate Hope

Post by datruph » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:55 pm

Unfortunately this will become more and more a reality of Lehigh in Patriot league football. Ref. great article by Groeller. IT's hard to believe that supposed smart institutions agreed years ago to this set-up??? No doubt money is the determining factor. The recruit that Lehigh and most other Patriot league teams are looking for is like finding a needle in a haystack. Smart but not too smart or they will go to an IVY School. Athletic but not to athletic or they will go to a better football school. It makes no sense that these hire-ups agreed to this nonsense. The only way to stop the bleeding is to offer BETTER....Better facilities. Better game day atmosphere. Better uniforms. In-door practice facility. Better training facility. Better trainers with superior talent. Promote your better players. Get the student body involved. A couple of night games. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN...So, we sit and cry each year because our thinning roster cannot compete. Add in a coach that cannot relate to todays athlete and you can see where Lehigh will be for awhile. I do think Lehigh will many more defectors and unless policies change very soon there will be a a day at Lehigh that spring practice becomes no pads and mostly 7-7 practices because we will not have enough players. (45) maybe...
van

Post by van » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:43 pm

get down off the railing datruph, don't jump, or maybe do jump
datruph

Post by datruph » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:21 pm

Just stating facts...Transfers will happen as long as current rules are in place in all schools. The thing that concerns me the most is starters leaving. It's concerning!!! It's hard enough to get them here and they start and still leave. Hope emerged as a 3 or 4 on the depth chart behind Allen, Hill and Lucas. Myabe unhappy he had to wait a lil? Spencer seemed to start early. We will see how it plays out.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:04 pm

There are all sorts of reasons why players leave school.

At Lehigh, I'll bet academics are a huge issue/challenge I see raised relatively few times. I think Hope and Spencer are both from Georgia -- their bios have been erased from the roster already (wow!) -- and distance/weather could be a factor.

There are all sorts of potential reasons: college culture, some personal, some academic, some athletic, etc.

To leap at conclusions without accurate reports or asking them (if they'd even be honest) seems futile.

Yes, these things seem to be happening more often ... elsewhere and at Lehigh. It is ugly.

Personally, the fact you can text your family and friends back home and elsewhere instantly -- compared to years ago -- might have implications old farts don't think about. In other words: Kids don't have to make that new set of friends at Lehigh or away at college; they can keep close with old friends without ever becoming anchored to that new community. That can't be healthy for college social or academic integration.
TMH

Post by TMH » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:54 pm

Sundayamqb wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:04 pm There are all sorts of reasons why players leave school.

At Lehigh, I'll bet academics are a huge issue/challenge I see raised relatively few times. I think Hope and Spencer are both from Georgia -- their bios have been erased from the roster already (wow!) -- and distance/weather could be a factor.

There are all sorts of potential reasons: college culture, some personal, some academic, some athletic, etc.

To leap at conclusions without accurate reports or asking them (if they'd even be honest) seems futile.

Yes, these things seem to be happening more often ... elsewhere and at Lehigh. It is ugly.

Personally, the fact you can text your family and friends back home and elsewhere instantly -- compared to years ago -- might have implications old farts don't think about. In other words: Kids don't have to make that new set of friends at Lehigh or away at college; they can keep close with old friends without ever becoming anchored to that new community. That can't be healthy for college social or academic integration.

Excellent points. Testing this theory, Lehigh basketball lost a bunch of players to transfer over the last 6-7 years. Almost every one of them transferred to a school close to home that were less stringent academically. It comes with morphing from a regional University to a national one and recruiting everywhere. The down side of social media is promoting home sickness.

Ironically Nate was featured in the Four Downs segment last week. He sounded very upbeat about Lehigh there and referred to Gilmore as a father figure up north. Fake news I suppose :-)

https://lehighsports.com/news/2019/11/6 ... h=football
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:42 am

I would guess fake news. Remember, the coaching circle is small and coaches talk. If a kid publicly says “I am leaving because I hate this coach” it would hurt them in portal. I’d guess academics and distance were a part of it and quite possibly the fact that this is not the staff that recruited these young men. As reported here on the forum, TGs sideline demeanor is lacking....but who knows how he is off the field??
TMH

Post by TMH » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:04 am

I think this is the staff that recruited them. They both came in with the 2nd batch of recruits last year.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:34 am

TMH wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:04 am I think this is the staff that recruited them. They both came in with the 2nd batch of recruits last year.
Recruiting began long before hiring of TG and Lehigh staff was work in progress.
RichH

Post by RichH » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:46 am

We really wont know the reasons for these transfers. Probably some ego and a mix to one extent or another of academics, culture, homesickness etc.
The timing tho is unusual. Perhaps to get in the mix for ESD. May be families think these fellas will be highly sought after by other teams. A quick scan of the portal lists should have told them that FCS transfers,albeit it talented, are well behind the 100s of FBS transfers already in the portal. If past practice holds, other than the very top talent, coaches use the portal to to fill out missing positions in their recruit class and roster.
Regardless of their situation, the transfers have hurt our team going into the last 2 games of the season.