Lehigh Lafayette

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
LU808

Re: Lehigh Lafayette

Post by LU808 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:49 pm

OL used to be a point of pride for LU....hasn't been that way for a number of years.

Coaching? Recruiting? Player development?

RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:46 pm

Tough L. Ugh Glad this season is over.

Team did get better as this extended Spring season played out.
Today. We killed ourselves, particularly on O with so many penalties.
OL a bit more cohesive at times but again another patchwork version. Between injuries and starters opting out there was little that could be done to improve. Cross is a drop back who has little running desire or ability. He needs a better clock in his head. Some of those sacks were on him. That said he threw much better today. Crisp and on target. We have a lot of talent ate RB WR TE and the D. We have till Sept to rebuild a functioning OL. Our opening slate is very tough.
van

Post by van » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:15 pm

Hope there is a placekicker in next class
LU808

Post by LU808 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:23 pm

This was the game.

LU
Fumbles - Lost 3-1
Penalties - Yds. 11-121

LC
Fumbles - 0-0
Penalties - 4-47
TMH

Post by TMH » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:08 pm

LU808 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:23 pm This was the game.

LU
Fumbles - Lost 3-1
Penalties - Yds. 11-121

LC
Fumbles - 0-0
Penalties - 4-47
Totally agree
TMH

Post by TMH » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:12 pm

van wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:15 pm Hope there is a placekicker in next class
One of my pet peeves. I believe we have 1 kicker coming in next year, Aiden Reinhart from Northampton.

Currently we have 3 kickers on the roster (1 soph, 2 freshman) and I think Gilmore is trying to figure out their roles. The problem is that the 2 freshmen and the recruit are punters that can kick. I'm not sure at this point is we have a consistent PK. Punting looked shoddy today but I think with a summer under their belt, we will be OK there.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:23 pm

Just some observations.

We all thought incoming freshman Canelas was huge. Lafayette averages 6-6, 317# across their offensive line. Including their TE, who scored both TDs. They have 9 players on their OL who are 6-5 or larger and only the TE is that short.

Their DL avgs about 265#

I still think Somerville should be given a real shot for the starting QB this fall. Right now he lacks a little poise behind a leaky OL but I think he is our most mobile QB and showed me a really accurate arm today.

I like our tackling. There was one missed tackle along the sideline that cost us but tackling had always been a weakness in Andy's last few years. I think the culture has changed there.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:33 pm

Yep, no question Lehigh killed itself today. Very disappointing. We have some talent in a number of areas, but some glaring gaps as well. Kicking game is horrible. The place kickers don't seem to have much lift, let alone accuracy. The punter gets some fortunate bounces that make the average bigger than it should be. Punting needs hang time. The OL has shown some improvement since the Holy Cross debacle, and I think not enough bodies is the problem, there, causing people to be shuffled around that impacts their ability to work together.
The QB seems to have a decent arm, but a lack of 'awareness' of what's going on around him. Plus, a decent arm is no good if it isn't accurate. Poor mobility/escapability, which with our current OL status is a major detriment.
The 87 yard drive in the third quarter was jaw dropping, and I thought, "Ok, the light has turned on!" But, then it we reverted to the prior scenarios. The backup is certainly more mobile, but can't tell if he can go vertical as a threat, which is needed as a threat. The number of penalties in this game was troubling, as we had relatively few the other two games.
The defensive unit has been pretty good this spring and impressed with a number of the freshmen and sophs playing. Is Hafner, done, or is he going to use his extra year? I'd love to see him leading this D next fall. I have always believed that championship teams are built, first, with defense. If the opponent doesn't score or scores little, you should win a lot of games. Kushurba has done a great job with the D. I only hope our OC had a similar effect on the O. I see little creativity. Seems like opposing D's know what's coming a lot of the time. I think our QBs need serious mentoring and I question whether they are getting it.
I am still hopeful that once we get the next class in, and nurturing the talent we have that we can start winning again come September.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:18 pm

Spring pretty much went as I expected, winless and uninspiring. Given the coaching and lack of talent/experience at OL and QB it was pretty much a perfect storm for a disaster. Going 0-3 against below average PL competition (relative to the rest of FCS), even if it is spring, makes the issues even more alarming.

Next fall will be very ugly. The worst record I can recall during my life is 3-8; I think a 1 or 2 win campaign is very much in play. Lehigh likely won't be favorite to win until November 13th again Georgetown. This current losing skid isn't going to end anytime soon. I have to think they'll be picked 6th in a preseason poll? What's the lowest ever?

I really hope the Ivy League opts to play so Lehigh can play Princeton and Penn next year. The next two games are Villanova and Richmond. I'm really looking forward to see how Lehigh comes out in September against legit FCS competition. As of now I'll take Villanova by 40+....

This is the worst shape I've seen Lehigh football in in my 30+ years of following the program.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:48 pm

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:18 pm Spring pretty much went as I expected, winless and uninspiring. Given the coaching and lack of talent/experience at OL and QB it was pretty much a perfect storm for a disaster. Going 0-3 against below average PL competition (relative to the rest of FCS), even if it is spring, makes the issues even more alarming.

Next fall will be very ugly. The worst record I can recall during my life is 3-8; I think a 1 or 2 win campaign is very much in play. Lehigh likely won't be favorite to win until November 13th again Georgetown. This current losing skid isn't going to end anytime soon. I have to think they'll be picked 6th in a preseason poll? What's the lowest ever?

I really hope the Ivy League opts to play so Lehigh can play Princeton and Penn next year. The next two games are Villanova and Richmond. I'm really looking forward to see how Lehigh comes out in September against legit FCS competition. As of now I'll take Villanova by 40+....

This is the worst shape I've seen Lehigh football in in my 30+ years of following the program.
I respect your opinions but this post seems to be hyperbolic or at least premature IMO. What we watched over the past month or so is really spring football with some exhibition games. Like many teams Lehigh has not been together as a team in almost a year before having to put a product on the field. Veteran teams can transition better than most however if I look at our depth chart today, there are 7 seniors on the 2 deep over the entire list incl long snapper. There are however 20 freshmen on there and a lot of untested sophomores including a transfer QB.

Yes, we went 0-3 but statistically we didn't do much worse than anyone we played. Our growth curve is bound to be steeper. These are not normal times. Where did Johns Hopkins and Penn State disappear to in lacrosse? Are Duke and NC fans giving up on their programs in basketball?

We have things to fix..definitely but I found some pluses too. Much depends on how hard everyone is willing to work over the next 5 months.