Dartmouth

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Re: Dartmouth

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:10 pm

Lafayette beat next week's opponent Monmouth, 28-14. Year two of the Troxell Era is producing tangible positive results in Easton....

ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:47 pm

Certainly not the kind of game I was hoping to see. A couple bad calls that could have helped shift momentum, early, but when adversity occurs, a good team finds a way to overcome. It has been recognized that we are not a good team. We have some excellent athletes at certain positions, but our breadth and depth of our talent is lacking, and until we have a couple good recruiting cycles, as many have recognized, we must be patient. There were be games where one looks back and can see where defeat was snagged from the jaws of victory. The slow offensive starts put too much pressure on a defense that is good but thin. I think some the play calling and defensive schemes are effected by whether there is enough personnel who can execute. I have seen a lot of first year players out there; true freshmen and sophs getting their first taste of game day, and as of four games in, it is apparent that we are what we are. I see a lot of young talent out there that needs to mature.

I would like to see our offense become more aggressive. Silbor has the physical tools but will need time to acclimate to the speed of the game at this level. He is clearly the most talented QB on the squad, but not the most experienced, and I think the decision to start him is the correct one with an eye on the future. Many have prognosticated that they expected Lehigh to win 3-5 games this year, which I don't think is unrealistic. Football is a game of momentum shifts, field position and taking advantage of an opponent's mistake. Physical strength, size and speed complement those elements. Unfortunately, we're making more mistakes than our opponents at this point, and our physical talent needs improvement. What also is needed is support from the alums, fans, students. I see a lot of projection of expectations on the players based upon a lot of 'sports talk' media. These students are committed to playing football at Lehigh and are learning a lot of new things this year. I hope they will learn that the Lehigh fans will be supportive and patient.

We are not in a position to make an immediate turnaround in today's collegiate athletics world. We don't have the ability nor interest in going whole hog on the infamous 'portal'. It takes time to do it right.
Local82

Post by Local82 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:09 pm

I concur on Silbor. Beating Bucknell and Georgetown would get the team to three wins, maybe pick up more against Colgate and Lafayette, and Monmouth (1-3).
Holy Cross and Fordham are at a level above the rest.
mookie

Post by mookie » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:27 pm

We don't have the ability nor interest in going whole hog on the infamous 'portal'. It takes time to do it right.

Who is we?
LUopa

Post by LUopa » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:47 am

High hopes here again...Happy NFL Sunday.

We lost...it happens in life. We had 8 1st downs...Can't win doing that. It doesn't hurt like the Cornell, Fordham, Bucknell and LAF games where bad coaching decisions caused the losses....not the kids. Even if we returned the blocked punt on the absolutely clean play which was stolen from us. We were going to lose that game. I think we will fair better against Monmouth.
News
Site Admin

Post by News » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:03 am

Dartmouth Head Coach Sammy McCorkle Uses Lines, Special Teams To Push Around Lehigh 34-17 In First Win as Big Green Head Coach

The green Powerade covered Dartmouth head coach Sammy McCorkle after the Big Green pushed around Lehigh 34-17 Saturday afternoon at Memorial Stadium.
Read more: https://www.college-sports-journal.com/ ... ead-coach/
adcs2

Post by adcs2 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:00 pm

Beating Bucknell and Georgetown would get the team to three wins, maybe pick up more against Colgate and Lafayette, and Monmouth (1-3).

I can see wins over Bucknell, Colgate and Georgetown. Don't see the Mountain Hawks having the horses to defeat Lafayette or Monmouth, IMO.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:23 pm

mookie wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:27 pm We don't have the ability nor interest in going whole hog on the infamous 'portal'. It takes time to do it right.

Who is we?
Lehigh and the rest of the PL. What PL school is going to pull already committed scholarships? We can certainly take a few transfers, as we have this year, but I don't see "us" (again, the PL) structured to dive headlong into through the portal and sweep up a who year's worth of recruits. I don't consider the great majority of FBS schools as playing college football. It is the NFL's minor leagues, or development leagues like the NBA, and I have been losing interest in the product. It's all about the Benjamins, now.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:29 pm

News wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:03 am Dartmouth Head Coach Sammy McCorkle Uses Lines, Special Teams To Push Around Lehigh 34-17 In First Win as Big Green Head Coach

The green Powerade covered Dartmouth head coach Sammy McCorkle after the Big Green pushed around Lehigh 34-17 Saturday afternoon at Memorial Stadium.
Read more: https://www.college-sports-journal.com/ ... ead-coach/
Cahill hit the nail on the head. Four games in, time to find out who really wants to play.
Old Timer

Post by Old Timer » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:46 pm

It looked to me that on every punt that same guy came in free! Where wasn’t he ST coach?