Ben Li

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
toddcudd

Re: Ben Li

Post by toddcudd » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:16 pm

Sounds like a rental to me.

Shane Whitfield
Miles Simelton
Tyler Jenkins
Brandon Alston
Pat Andre
Caleb Bennet

If you don't want to be here, DO NOT COMMIT HERE. Road gets bumpy, you out? Do not commit here. BA, PA, CB.
Not getting enough minutes? Do not commit here. TJ, SW, MS
I'd take 100 Maneris and Adams who will fight their guts out.

TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:36 pm

Welcome back Todd. It's been a long time.

There are two very distinct phenomena going on with regard to Lehigh basketball and transfers.

The advice I give all budding athletes is to utilize their athletic skills to get the best education possible, thereby setting yourself up for the rest of your life.

Alston and Andre did exactly that. They both managed to utilize the system of advanced credits and summer studies to graduate from Lehigh early. That gave them the opportunity to utilize their 4th and in Alston's case 3rd and 4th years to have a graduate degree paid for too. Lehigh doesn't always have the right fit for graduate school as was the case for Lexi Martins. Alston decided to use those years at a very high academic institution (Georgia Tech) while attempting to play on a bigger stage. I don't blame him. Andre found the right fit at NC State. One of his goals was to play in Europe and he believed that the brighter lights of an ACC would give him better options than Lehigh (per a highly reliable source).

The second group is a bit more problematic. Add Matt Holba to the list of Whitfield, Simelton Jenkins and Bennett and all five made a less than lateral transfer (IMO) primarily to be far closer to home. I spoke with a current player (who is staying right here) about this phenomena and he readily admitted that one's freshman year is really hard for those from far away. He also readily admitted that social media makes it even tougher because you are constantly inundated with information about what is going on back home and many don't even get home for the holidays.
I'm not trying to justify anything...just attempting to explain it.

Only time will tell with Li.
TMH

Post by TMH » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:38 pm

Thought that this article may be of some interest

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-02-27/B ... index.html
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:45 pm

Definitely interesting. My guess is a degree is of secondary importance to Li at least right now. Well we shall see how it plays out.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:04 pm

Not sure, but sounds like a lotta hype in that article. If the degree is a distant second, and he's that good, why Lehigh and the Patriot League? Verbal Commits lists three other offers, LIU, The Mount, and American. Nice schools, but not exactly the ACC in D1 basketball.

My suspicion is he has great aspirations in life and his dream of playing pro ball is still very much alive. If you've seen the Youtube highlights (for what they're worth), he is at the very least an intriguing prospect at 6-6, somewhat athletic, has some skills, and every bit of 225. Here's hoping he enjoys a tremendous four years at Lehigh regardless of whether he's our next all league selection or a valued roll player.