COMMIT. Jayshen Saigal

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
RichH

COMMIT. Jayshen Saigal

Post by RichH » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:24 pm

Jayshen Saigal G. 6'1 165. Scarsdale HS. NY
Committed last night. Scarsdale a pretty good AA program in NY. State runner up last year. Struggling this year. Saigal A-S. Also plays. AAU.
This year. 20.5 pts, 9.4 r, 3.7 a, 2.5 steals.
Very active athletic young man. Competition is varied but overall not that high.
I'll leave it to the mavens to assess how he fits here.

TMH

Re: COMMIT. Jayshen Saigal

Post by TMH » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:29 pm

Just wondering...
We lose 3 seniors this year, although one has never played. We have 3 commitments already. I think we only had 11 schollies on the roster this year. So will this signing bring us back to 12 next year? Does it make up for the late Bennett transfer last year and if so why did we wait so long to fill it?
van

Post by van » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:23 pm

on the subject of next year, I was concerned about the PG, but after watching MW this year, I think he could handle point, not sure who spells him when he needs a blow, of course a polished FR may be in the pipeline
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:12 pm

Betlow is next up I suppose. Sinclair looks to be the guy ultimately I think.
MWilson certainly has the skill. He and Fenton are a good pair.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:21 pm

Saigal is listed as a walk on by Verbal Commits. They aren't always accurate, but they don't miss much.
They think we have 13 on scholie next year if you count Leib and the 3 we have coming in. But I think Jack is done. So we theoretically have one to give. However, we almost always only carry 12 scholarship players.

Clear as mud?
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:43 am

Here's more from NYCHopps.net:
Maurice Wingate • NYCHoops
Publisher
@nychoops
It’s been awhile since Scarsdale High School has produced a Division I prospect but under its second year head coach, all that has changed. “I just had my senior [Jayshen Saigal] commit [to Lehigh],” said Head Coach Joe Amelio.

Although the 6’3” combo guard is a walk-on at the Patriot League school, he’s a preferred walk-on with a guaranteed spot on the team according to Amelio. if the senior excels, he will receive a full scholarship. ”He’s fully on the team and might travel to Russia with them in June.”

Coach Amelio believes that Saigal will do just fine playing with the Mountain Hawks. “Lehigh University is one of the nation’s most distinguished schools. Along with a top notch education, Jay has found a basketball program he believes he can excel on.”

Lehigh head coach Brett Reed will get a lightning quick guard that can beat players off the dribble. This past season, Saigal averaged 20.8 points, 9.4 rebounds and 3.3 assists. “He is really a complete package,” Amelio touted.

Coach Amelio credits Lehigh head coach and assistant coach Harry Morra for recruiting Saigal. “They made him feel right at home from the beginning.”

Saigal verbally committed to Lehigh University on Wednesday.

Aha, Russia in June???
ArturoGarcia1

Post by ArturoGarcia1 » Fri May 01, 2020 6:57 am

Looks like he is going to struggle going to the rim.

my little cousin goes to the rim better than him going off his tape.

Some encouraging things behind the arc. Shot is normalish but plays a bit like kevin martin.