19-20 in review

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
jimk72

19-20 in review

Post by jimk72 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:54 pm

While our sports lives are on hold for a few (hopefully) weeks, it seems like a good time to get everybody’s opinion on the 19-20 men’s season. And what our take is on the direction of the program for next year and beyond.

Obviously the brutal non-league schedule, travel, and the injuries contributed to the overall record. Wheels really fell off after the Karnick injury tail end of the Loyola game at Stabler. Things hit bottom with the blown lead at Holy Cross and the home loss to Easton High. To the team & coaches’ credit nobody gave up and they became very competitive down the stretch.

In my opinion, with all this youth Brett did some of the best coaching of his career. Particularly in game, late in the season, which has been a knock on him for a long time. Of course my personal knowledge of basketball coaching is non-existent, so please fire away if you disagree.

As to individuals, Fenton and Taylor were better than expected. Taylor looked like the best of the class based on high school competition (Chicago area). Fenton from western Pa., not so much. I think if they continue to work off season either could make all league. J. Wilson made strides to become a dominant 3 or 4 in this league. Nic improved with the starting minutes. And of course Marquis and James will be starters next year. Based on limited minutes Alamudun, Betlow, and Arion add depth.

To me the number one question for next year is who plays point. M. Wilson is the incumbent, but are we better with him as the scorer at 2, assuming Jalin Sinclair our incoming 5-10 freshman is really good? But if that happens, (Sinclair or Betlow at point, M. Wilson at 2) are there enough minutes for Taylor, Fenton, Lynch, and J. Wilson? Problem is there’s still only one basketball to go around……

Of course that's a great problem to have, assuming everybody stays...

Your thoughts???

van

Re: 19-20 in review

Post by van » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:03 pm

I was very concerned about PG next year, but less so now after seeing MW get more minutes this year, if he mans the point, I have no idea who might back him up, both Fenton and Taylor can play and should get a lot of minutes next year, JW is a rinsing star, center position is locked down with JK and NL are both solid and when we what to go big with both they are a handful for opposing D's, not sure what to make of JA with the limited time he got this year, same could have been said about NL last year an look how he blossomed with more experience, hopefully we do not need so many minutes from next years FR and they get a chance to mature some before being thrown into key roles