Week-End Salvo

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Week-End Salvo

Post by Oracle » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:33 am

Good morning one and all!

Tip of the head gear to John Hughes for his lengthy and effective contributions to the program. In my view he added a tremendous amount of 'winning attitude' to everyone he recruited and coached. Best wishes John.

A win is a win is a win .... beating Oklahoma State is a win for the program. Our guys with a few exceptions looked physical and tough. Too bad only 3,000 showed up but still a decent crowd. Man, Humphreys is some kind of powerful. Not once, but twice cranking over a tough wrestler from Okla St is not something you see every day. Pure horsepower. Reminded me of Bo Jordan's bout with Marshall Peppelman at 165 a few years back. 184 was concerning and not because Weiler gassed. Montalvo is plenty tough, a 2X California state champ. When he couldn't convert the cradle the second time....why continue only to be reversed? A head scratcher to me. At 197, I was shocked to see the gap between Jake and Dakota Geer. Thought it would be closer. Also thought Wood looked good. His guy was very good. It was a tough style match-up for him because the guy was as quick as he was. Most aren't. Pomrinca was impressive if not overly offensive. Over-all the guys fought hard against a great program.Anyone OSU puts on the mat is big time.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone -- we have much to be thankful for.
And remember: Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever.

Have a great weekend everyone!

BP-LU87

Re: Week-End Salvo

Post by BP-LU87 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:08 am

I've witnessed this behavior (keeps attempting the same move despite it not working well) with Weiler in the past. This is high risk/high reward but perhaps needs to do a better job of on the spot cost/benefit analysis based upon historical returns.

It's early and I'm sure he's pretty motivated to make a statement this weekend based upon last weekend's showing.

Oh, and there's a big football game this weekend as well.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:40 am

Perhaps Mr Weiler under-estimated his opponent's talent level.
mookie

Post by mookie » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:53 am

I'm just happy the ORACLE is back.
D3 for LU

Post by D3 for LU » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:10 pm

Same here! 8-)

Even though there definitely needs for improvement (there always are), we'll take the win.
Looking forward to the Sat. & Sun. duals.
Wrestle hard, Gents!
D3
Sir, a pint of you finest ale, please!
Never argue with an idiot... he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:42 pm

I have to hold back some things I learn in the room (and none of it concerns Hughes- he said pretty nothing other than what was in the article about why) but I'll put this out there about Weiler that is just my observation of him as a fan. I think we saw similar two years ago at this time. He looked much better later in the season than early. It must take him longer than others to get in shape at the level he needs. It happens.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:03 pm

I actually think Weiler attempted the cradle 4 times.

First time reversed by a merkle

After Chris reversed, he again attempted, a cradle. and Montalvo aganin slipped head. Chris grabbed a lower leg, held on and got called for stalling on top.

Restart Chris again attempted cradle, again got merkled,

Then Chris got his reversal and nearfall to end period.

Start of 2nd, Chris again attempted cradle, again a montalco merkle attempt again chris grabbed a leg this time the stall was a point, then Montalvo gets escape abd TD etc,

The order I have may not be exact, but I am pretty sure 4 CW cradle attempts resulting in two reverses and 2 stall calls
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:29 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:03 pm I actually think Weiler attempted the cradle 4 times.

First time reversed by a merkle

After Chris reversed, he again attempted, a cradle. and Montalvo aganin slipped head. Chris grabbed a lower leg, held on and got called for stalling on top.

Restart Chris again attempted cradle, again got merkled,

Then Chris got his reversal and nearfall to end period.

Start of 2nd, Chris again attempted cradle, again a montalco merkle attempt again chris grabbed a leg this time the stall was a point, then Montalvo gets escape abd TD etc,

The order I have may not be exact, but I am pretty sure 4 CW cradle attempts resulting in two reverses and 2 stall calls
That sounds about right. And I wasn't suggesting that conditioning had much to do with this aspect of the match.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:39 pm

the surprising thing to me wasn't Weiler gassing, we've seen that before......the surprising thing is how fast he gassed out, he looked shot at the end of the first period, by 30 seconds into the 2nd he was basically done.......
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:28 pm

Spladle1989 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:39 pm the surprising thing to me wasn't Weiler gassing, we've seen that before......the surprising thing is how fast he gassed out, he looked shot at the end of the first period, by 30 seconds into the 2nd he was basically done.......
hi energy stuff the whole time in period 1. 4x to the well was poor strategy, but hindsight looking great right about now. Both were expending a lot but MH thinks Chris more. Either way he was cooked in the end. An easily winnable match and MH thinks Weiler prevails should they meet again.