For Cheesesteak Lovers

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
whiz wit

For Cheesesteak Lovers

Post by whiz wit » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:15 am

Had the "Philly" at Big Daddy's (Pembroke Road) yesterday and it was very good - pretty comparable to what you'd get at a top place in Philly and much better than what I was served at Crossroads the weekend before. Friendly and accommodating owner/cook as well. When I told him I was in town for a Lehigh wrestling match he told me he had wrestled in high school and college and on my way out gave me a "Go Lehigh!" Highly recommended for cheesesteak aficionados.

legger

Re: For Cheesesteak Lovers

Post by legger » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:19 pm

**** Maybe it is because I spent 30+ years in the Lehigh Valley but I much prefer the Lehigh Valley version of the Cheese Steak (complete with tomato sauce), ala The Brass Rail, than the True Philly Steaks found at Genos and Pats. Make mine 2 with extra cheese, fried onions, pickles and sauce. You can keep the hot peppers. Top those off with about 4 pierogies and that is good eating. I know people from N Jersey call that a Pizza Steak. Call it what you want, but I still think The Brass Rail serves The Best.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:57 pm

Agree with Legger except peppers. I like Peppers on almost everything but French Toast. Lehigh Valley Style is also popular in the Poconos and Harrisburg area. Often they allow Peppers as a substitute for Mushrooms no charge.

One place I heard that had great cheese steaks was Port Clinton Hotel (near Cabellas), Damn meat was halfway between Chipped steak and Hamburger, basically with ketchup
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:00 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:57 pm Agree with Legger except peppers. I like Peppers on almost everything but French Toast. Lehigh Valley Style is also popular in the Poconos and Harrisburg area. Often they allow Peppers as a substitute for Mushrooms no charge.

One place I heard that had great cheese steaks was Port Clinton Hotel (near Cabellas), Damn meat was halfway between Chipped steak and Hamburger, basically with ketchup
You put ketchup on everything (or tabasco)
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:43 pm

Somehow I'm not surprised that Legger piped in when the subject was food.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:36 pm

legger wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:19 pm **** Maybe it is because I spent 30+ years in the Lehigh Valley but I much prefer the Lehigh Valley version of the Cheese Steak (complete with tomato sauce), ala The Brass Rail, than the True Philly Steaks found at Genos and Pats. Make mine 2 with extra cheese, fried onions, pickles and sauce. You can keep the hot peppers. Top those off with about 4 pierogies and that is good eating. I know people from N Jersey call that a Pizza Steak. Call it what you want, but I still think The Brass Rail serves The Best.
I had one at The Brass Rail a few years back. It was pretty good but not my style and I like Big Daddy's better. BD's has a wide variety of steaks and, based upon the quality of mine, I think a guy like you who favors a baroque version would be happy there.
ikeremix

Post by ikeremix » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:22 pm

legger wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:19 pm **** Maybe it is because I spent 30+ years in the Lehigh Valley but I much prefer the Lehigh Valley version of the Cheese Steak (complete with tomato sauce), ala The Brass Rail, than the True Philly Steaks found at Genos and Pats
All due respect - Pats and Genos are not even close to a top cheesesteak place in Philly - tourist traps. If you’re in Philly do yourself a favor and go to Johns (right off the Delaware River, near IKEA), Delassandros (in Roxborough), or Angelos in Bella Vista (maybe a mile from the Palestra).

While I live in Philly I was born and raised in Bethlehem. I liked J’s cheesesteaks a little in the valley. But if you ask me, skip the cheesesteak and go straight to Pott’s for a few chili cheese dogs.

.....and if any of you attended the Princeton match maybe you grabbed a cheesesteak from Hoagie Haven (right on Nassau St). Best cheesesteak I’ve EVER had.
legger

Post by legger » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:27 am

**** ikeremix said: "While I live in Philly I was born and raised in Bethlehem. I liked J’s cheesesteaks a little in the valley. But if you ask me, skip the cheesesteak and go straight to Pott’s for a few chili cheese dogs."

I agree that Potts chili cheese dogs are great, especially if you add a slice of pickle.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:42 am

ikeremix wrote in part,

".....and if any of you attended the Princeton match maybe you grabbed a cheesesteak from Hoagie Haven (right on Nassau St). Best cheesesteak I’ve EVER had."

Hard to believe, but I'll give HH's steaks a try next time I'm in Princeton and will report back.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:07 pm

gimpeltf wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:00 pm
Richb-3 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:57 pm Agree with Legger except peppers. I like Peppers on almost everything but French Toast. Lehigh Valley Style is also popular in the Poconos and Harrisburg area. Often they allow Peppers as a substitute for Mushrooms no charge.

You put ketchup on everything (or tabasco)
wrong. Only put ketchup on Fries (FRench, home, Hash browns etc) Hot dogs, and Hamburgers (or failed use of hamburger meat (like horrible meat loaf). You are confusing me with the orange guy who puts ketchup om steaks

Tabasco(Petes, franks etc) is simply liquified hot peppers(basically)