Redshirting

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Richb-3

Redshirting

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:00 pm

Maybe we have discussed this before, Heck, maybe I brought it up.

Watching the OhSU-MicU football game. An OSU player is mentioned as having been injured a lot, and having played in only 3 games. HE can redshirt. In fact he plays in this game and still redshirt.

So could he have played none of the first 11 games, but play this game, the B1G championship game, and both games of the playoff series?

gimpeltf

Re: Redshirting

Post by gimpeltf » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:13 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:00 pm Maybe we have discussed this before, Heck, maybe I brought it up.

Watching the OhSU-MicU football game. An OSU player is mentioned as having been injured a lot, and having played in only 3 games. HE can redshirt. In fact he plays in this game and still redshirt.

So could he have played none of the first 11 games, but play this game, the B1G championship game, and both games of the playoff series?
My understanding is that with the new rule (last year or this year?) it doesn't matter which games. I also believe this is football only.
bkcbrau

Post by bkcbrau » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:39 pm

A new rule in college football this year is that a player is allowed to play in four games (total) and retain one year of eligibility. Could be the first four, last four, spread out over the entire season. Also, it doesn't matter if you are a freshman or senior.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:54 pm

bkcbrau wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:39 pm A new rule in college football this year is that a player is allowed to play in four games (total) and retain one year of eligibility. Could be the first four, last four, spread out over the entire season. Also, it doesn't matter if you are a freshman or senior.
Is it FBS? all 4 divisions? somewhere in between?

As I hinted, could it include Playoffs or bowls?
-----------
I would obviously oppose a Red shirt for someone who goes 0-2 in tournaments. But think of someone who gets hurt at Princeton open winning 3. Then he comes back for the F+M or Millersville, and gets hurt again. Seems not unreasonable to get RS
bkcbrau

Post by bkcbrau » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:37 pm

Fourth game could be a playoff game or even the national championship game. I do not know if this four game rule encompasses all divisions.