Navy Dual

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
whiz wit

Re: Navy Dual

Post by whiz wit » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:59 am

Did you all get a load of Grape's powerful double leg takedowns? They stem from his linebacker background.

gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:11 am

whiz wit wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:59 am Did you all get a load of Grape's powerful double leg takedowns? They stem from his linebacker background.
I gather a lot listening couldn't hear me but I believe that's the one where I said Jordan Burroughs had nothing on that double.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:50 pm

Those listening on the radio had no problems hearing you, except briefly when the replacement mic quit. Those watching on the video made their choice that they'd rather watch than listen.

Sometime you get to watch and listen, sometime you watch, sometime you see basketball. Radio better.
mh1

Post by mh1 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:23 pm

Gimp is was hard to hear you first half of dual, but after the break you were back in full throat. First home dual I missed in 12 years, so it was great to watch.

With just 1 dual in next 3 or 4 weeks you mentioned some Opens that some Lehigh guys might attend. Could someone post what they are and when to fill that wrestling jones.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:27 pm

Edinboro Open, Feb 1st

Warrior Open (ESU2), Feb 23rd

Mat Town II Open (Lock Haven), Feb 23rd

The Warrior Open was cancelled last year when it was scheduled for Feb 10th. I don't think weather was a factor; the tourney was cancelled five days in advance.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:37 pm

Navy always wrestles us strategically by the edge. Stayed away when they had to. Disappointing to see Farro lose. He showed well when he was aggressive. Took his foot off the gas the last minute and paid for it. Hopefully, a lesson learned. Similar with Pomrinca. He is strong and when he commits to a take down he gets it. Perhaps he's a bit out of shape after not having wrestled for the past week plus, but I hope he turns it up a notch going forward as he has the talent. Gotta love the effort by the team. Moran gave a great performance wrestling up. Praetzel very consistent. I hope he can remain at 125 through next year. Meyer showing a ton of promise. Just needs seasoning. Kutler steady as usual and was glad to see Eli get a shot as they give Chris time to rehab. Tough loss by Jake. He should have won, but mistakes happen. and Jordan was in control. The Navy heavy is only a freshman, and shows potential. A great streak going right now and a good time to get some dings undone. Congrats to Coach on his 200th win as a head coach.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:26 am

You did see that Farro got hit in the head midway through the second period and went through an extensive concussion protocol check before he was allowed to continue, correct? He showed a lot of guts just stepping back onto the mat.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:31 pm

jdalu75 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:26 am You did see that Farro got hit in the head midway through the second period and went through an extensive concussion protocol check before he was allowed to continue, correct? He showed a lot of guts just stepping back onto the mat.
Absolutely. But he was fine after he came back and showed good aggression scoring points. When he took the lead with about a minute to go, you could see that he stopped putting the pressure on and eased up. When that happens physically, it is also happening mentally and that's when you become more vulnerable. The best offense is an "aggressive defense". In many sports, your scoring opportunities come from your defense. I am not saying he should have been taking wild shots in that last minute that could have exposed himself to a counter; but you can be 'attacking' that will prevent the opponent from getting a clean shot.
I am in no way criticizing him for his effort. He is to be admired, but it is frustrating to see such effort discarded that was preventable. Hopefully, he and teammates watching learn from such mistakes, now, while correctable. Pat says all the time that the kids need to be on the attack. I pull hard for each of our guys to win. To get beat is one thing; losing is different.