The New Assistant Coach

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
whiz wit

The New Assistant Coach

Post by whiz wit » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:18 am

Sorry, I don't know who it will be.

Just wondering if there's a "norm" for what happens when an assistant coach leaves early in the season. How quickly does he get replaced? Is it unusual that the slot's still open at Lehigh and, apparently, short list candidates haven't be reported. Seems that Cruz has been sitting with the coaching staff at dual meets and wondering if nothing's happening this season because the plan is to make Rey an assistant and Cruz the volunteer next season.

gimpeltf

Re: The New Assistant Coach

Post by gimpeltf » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:32 am

whiz wit wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:18 am Sorry, I don't know who it will be.

Just wondering if there's a "norm" for what happens when an assistant coach leaves early in the season. How quickly does he get replaced? Is it unusual that the slot's still open at Lehigh and, apparently, short list candidates haven't be reported. Seems that Cruz has been sitting with the coaching staff at dual meets and wondering if nothing's happening this season because the plan is to make Rey an assistant and Cruz the volunteer next season.
Informally, Zach is interim assistant and Darian interim volunteer but they haven't done anything official yet. I believe what you said about Darian is all they're looking for from him at this point. He's still training and they might want to keep it that way for a while. Rules seem unclear but I don't think they need to specify anything until post-season when they would need to write names on lists to get coaching passes (or whatever they do). Compliance has rules saying that if someone starts doing things that look like coaching they might have to count them among the 4. However, rules are relaxed with alums.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:13 am

I think Zach has come such a long way in maturing into a coaching role that he is an excellent choice for the permanent replacement for John Hughes position. He is engaged and enthusiastic in his role and appears to be ready from my perspective. He also apparently has the support from Pat. With regard to the volunteer assistant position there are limitless possibilities in addition to Darian whose primary role is to train for international competition and work to improve our lightweights.

The performance of Paetzell suggests he is doing a great job in that regard and with Sheldon Seymour coming in next year as perhaps a permanent 125 pounder, it is imperative to get him combat ready ASAP starting this summer. I am assuming Paetzel will likely move up to 133 next year with hopefully an AA medal to demonstrate his talent this March.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:29 pm

IMO, Paetzell will stay at 125. Why would he make the effort to move down just to move back up? He's now a viable AA candidate whereas at 133 he was not. I see Paetzell again at 125 while Seymour defers and gvets bigger.
van

Post by van » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:36 pm

not to mention we have 2 very good 133# already
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:59 pm

I tend to trust my lyin' eyes, and what I saw yesterday was that Treaster looked bigger than Paetzell. If Brandon can make the weight and wrestle capably, he should stay down. It's the nature of the sport, made easier by me not having to do the cutting.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:19 pm

Certainly Paetzell should stay at 125 if in fact he can do so but I was perhaps improperly assuming it is a tough pull for him to have gotten to 125 and one year may be all that his growth hormones will permit. Obviously Seymour having a year to groom for the big time is much preferred if Brandon can in fact make that happen for another year.

I am excited to see what happens at 141 next year between Moran, McGonigle, and Hynes although Hynes looks more like a 149 pounder as he bulks up.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:20 pm

I've heard that Hines is tall and that 149 may be in his future. I feel the same way about Ruth and 184.

Re Paetzell -- I don't have any inside info on what the plans are, but he wrestled 125 as a true frosh at Rutgers. He redshirted his first year at Lehigh and competed solely at 133. My impression was that he aimed for 133 last year because Scott Parker's status was questionable and we appeared to be deep at 125. I don't think he had any problems certing at 125 this year. If I had to bet I'd put my money on 125 again next year.
Lehighsam

Post by Lehighsam » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:05 pm

Another possible candidate!! Did anybody else see Chance Martsellar sitting with the team Friday night?
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:16 pm

Lehighsam wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:05 pm Another possible candidate!! Did anybody else see Chance Martsellar sitting with the team Friday night?
Been training with LVWC for a few months.