Week-End Salvo -- Special Early East Coast Edition

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Week-End Salvo -- Special Early East Coast Edition

Post by Oracle » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:33 pm

Greetings!
Frank Lynch (2 years?)
Billy Sheridan (1912-1952)
Gerry Leeman (1953-1970)
Thad Turner (1971-1988)
Tom Hutchinson (1989-1994)
Bob Latessa (1995)
Greg Strobel (1996-2008)
Pat Santoro (2009-2020)

Generally speaking, wrestling is a sport that keeps coaches around through ups and downs. Lehigh is no different.
41 years for Sheridan is remarkable. We sometimes lose sight of how great he was and how much he did for the sport in the LV and other places like LI. His innovative summer camps are something we take for granted today but what imagination it took to be the first. 17 years apiece for Leeman and Turner, 13 years for Greg and now 12 years for Pat. Cornell has had Koll since 1994! Contrast Navy and Army who have changed coaches more frequently after long stints by Leroy Alitz and Ed Peery (28 years.)

The view from 30,000 feet: Outside of the top programs, wrestling never had much admin support at most schools -- another reason why cuts were easy to make. If a program was so-so, rather than invest and support the coach, admins just said "screw it." Title 9 anyone? Life as a non-revenue/minor sport.

It also seems like D1 coaches are getting older and staying into their 50s is more and more common. There is no reason why this shouldn't be true. J Robinson was viable right up to the time of his departure near 70! The head coach doesn't need to get on the mat other than to demo a technique and maybe not even then. Strobel was a great technician and teacher of positioning and pinning. It was no coincidence he was National Team and Olympic coach.

Listening to the podcast of Pat and Chris talk about how Greg connected alums.....I was at practice in the old room in Taylor gym when Matt Ciasulli was a red shirt. Greg asked me if I wanted to ref a bout with Ciasulli and another freshman. I was thrilled to do it. He had me at 'hello.' I've been a Strobel fan ever since. Greg was special.

Wash your hands and go vote on Tuesday if you haven't already.

Sundayamqb

Re: Week-End Salvo -- Special Early East Coast Edition

Post by Sundayamqb » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:51 pm

Iowa State's Harold Nichols was almost 70 when he retired ...
mookie

Post by mookie » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:22 am

The longer Covid is a thing the less likely wrestling has a season. We should be discussing wrestle offs right about now. Bummed.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:08 pm

Not so fast ..... pro sports has developed a model for competition that college football adopted and there is no reason why winter sports can't follow the same protocols. Every athlete will be tested over and over. Spectators will be limited -- either none but essential workers running the events or a vastly reduced number that reflects social distancing. As for wrestle-offs-- with the season delayed from early Nov by 60 days there is no rush to hold them. I suspect ranking bouts will be held between after Thanksgiving and prior to December 10th. There is a tremendous amount of interest in these bouts because there are so many talented guys coming of red shirt and several 'open' weights will be hotly contested.
TMH

Post by TMH » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:28 pm

Does anyone know what the current status of Lehigh's athletic training is right now?

On or about October 2, Lehigh elected to suspend all in person classes, close extra-curricular buildings eg the libraries, gym galleries and halt organized athletic traing for 2 weeks. It has now been 4 weeks, the #s are down but I haven't heard of any changes with Thanksgiving and the end of the 1st semester being a month away.

I've been told that many if not most of the on-campus students have moved back home for now. Communications now seem to be focused on the spring but will the athletic teams remain on campus and will they be allowed to have team workouts?
HFO

Post by HFO » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:46 am

There will be no season. Sorry gentlemen. In 3 weeks, it will be worse than in April. Retired from Johns Hopkins.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:36 pm

Once school closed, no practicing allowed (as if the Caruso Complex wouldn't be part of campus).

>>17 years apiece for Leeman and Turner,

18, with each having 9 indiv ncaa titles (of course, Thad had Germ as #1 asst, something later called by Strobel "an unfair advantage"

Go ahead, ask why we can't approach those stats today. Because we had a monopoly among private schools that cared ... and far more money is now getting pumped into the sport. Also too many Gable disciples
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:42 am

HFO wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:46 am There will be no season. Sorry gentlemen. In 3 weeks, it will be worse than in April. Retired from Johns Hopkins.
Joe will crush the virus! Season is on! Virus ended last Wednesday!