Army

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
mookie

Army

Post by mookie » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:57 am

Voted preseason #1 in the EIWA so high expectations. Would expect nothing less from a team with seven 285 lbs. and four Browns. Markus Hartman at 157 lb. is legit. Rest of the team is filled with 3rd - 6th types - capable eastern wrestlers but bracket fillers/ two and barbecue at the NCAA tournament.

Kevin Ward should again win most obnoxious coach award.

jdalu75

Re: Army

Post by jdalu75 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:10 am

Army and Navy contending at EIWAs shouldn't come as a surprise. They finished 3rd and 4th last March; if Ben Sullivan had avoided injury then Army tops Cornell for second. Even without looking at their rosters, we know that nobody's redshirting or out of school this season, so they both have full teams. Army has more starters returning than we do. Seven of their tournament entries were bumped out of the championship bracket by guys who won't be there this time, so they might do better than 3rd to 6th.

So without taking a detailed look at the rosters, picking Army at or near the top makes sense; especially when you consider how many unsettled weights the returning champs have. Do I expect those weights to remain unsettled ? No, but for a preseason pick I wouldn't complain much.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:52 pm

jdalu75 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:10 am Army and Navy contending at EIWAs shouldn't come as a surprise. They finished 3rd and 4th last March; if Ben Sullivan had avoided injury then Army tops Cornell for second.
If he had avoided injury and also beaten Brendan Furman, whose only loss in the tournament was to champion Jordan Wood and who also beat the #4 and #5 seeds, then Army may have finished ahead of Cornell.

After Cornell, Princeton, Lehigh, Army, and Navy, the EIWA is pretty weak.

Lehigh brings it every March, so also without looking at any rosters, I wouldn't count them out. Army also went a spectacular 0-6 in the semi-finals last year.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:36 am

As a spectator, Army was my most enjoyable dual meet win last season.

I recall that after the Princeton Open an Army guy on wrestlingreport was crowing about how their second string had beaten LU's starter at one of the upper weights and how they were going to kick LU's ass that season, yak yak. They had the planets aligned for a win in West Orange. It was their Senior Night with lots of parents present, and the meet was in honor and in the high school gym of one of their wrestlers who had been killed in a training accident. The gym was packed and the large majority were yelling for Army.

LU started out slowly, the first six bouts were split and Army and their fans were smelling blood in the water. Then Kutler pinned a tough kid from Army, the crowd quieted down and then the LU kids steamrolled their opponents in the next three weights for a convincing dual win.

I'm sure Army was feeling they could reverse things in the Easterns but they finished fourth and just ahead of Navy. I would expect that Army will come to Bethlehem with big chips on their shoulders this season.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:57 am

I can't picture Kutler's pin any more, but I remember re-watching it several times it was so amazing.
lu_alum

Post by lu_alum » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:43 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:57 am I can't picture Kutler's pin any more, but I remember re-watching it several times it was so amazing.
Lehigh post-match recap (TD leading to the fall occurs at about the 1:30 point in the video):
https://lehighsports.com/news/2020/1/31 ... -24-9.aspx

Complete bout from the Flo archive: https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6681 ... arvey-army
D3 for LU

Post by D3 for LU » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:35 pm

The one bout, that I recalled was Farro's @133 where he lost to Army's Wert133, 5-3.
He had a hell of a time trying to get out from under the Cadet's withering ride.

The fact that he exacted revenge over Wert in the EIWA QF w/ a last second fall after mastering him throughout the match. That was some excellent wrestling on Nick's part!
What a run he had in that tournament. Sad to see him move on with one more season of eligibility left.
D3
Sir, a pint of you finest ale, please!
Never argue with an idiot... he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:57 pm

whiz wit wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:36 am I'm sure Army was feeling they could reverse things in the Easterns but they finished fourth and just ahead of Navy.
Army was 3rd, midway between Cornell and Navy. I stand by what I posted on another thread; if Ben Sullivan hadn't been injured they'd have been second.

1. Lehigh 154.0
2. Cornell 120.0
3. Army West Point 112.0
4. Navy 104.5
5. Princeton 100.5

Army posted its schedule yesterday and they don't show the Lehigh dual (our website shows Feb 6th at 6:00 pm) but it could be that they're just showing home events right now.
mookie

Post by mookie » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:54 pm

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

No fans will allow the refs to hear Kevin Ward's chirping on each and every call. Wonder if any of his guys were part of the cheating scandal?
lu_alum

Post by lu_alum » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:43 pm

mookie wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:54 pm If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

No fans will allow the refs to hear Kevin Ward's chirping on each and every call. Wonder if any of his guys were part of the cheating scandal?
Surprising the scandal was for calculus. Shouldn't those enrolled at the academy be able to handle that class? Most high-achieving students take that class in HS.