Board of Trustees

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
LU808

Re: Board of Trustees

Post by LU808 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:45 pm

JAD77 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:54 pm
Spladle1989 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:02 pm Ridiculous and reactionary......but that's the way the world is now......we've become a nation of snowflakes.......

Not a Trump fan, but this is just stupid and honestly meaningless...
Not entirely. It sends a message that the University does not approve of a man who fomented insurrection and committed treason.
In my opinion, the statement did not go far enough.
Asa Packer served two terms as a Democratic member of the U.S. House of Reprpsentatives, made an unsuccessful bid for the Democratic Party's Presidential nomination, got the party's nod for the 1869 Pennsylvania Governor's race,

Since the Democrat Party fomented Slavery, the Civil War, KKK, the Jim Crow south should we denigrate and erase him too? Tear down his statue? ? Or is hypocrisy the order of the day? What message is the University sending about old Asa??

TMH

Post by TMH » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:42 am

LU808 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:45 pm
Spladle1989 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:02 pm Ridiculous and reactionary......but that's the way the world is now......we've become a nation of snowflakes.......

Not a Trump fan, but this is just stupid and honestly meaningless...
Not entirely. It sends a message that the University does not approve of a man who fomented insurrection and committed treason.
Asa Packer served two terms as a Democratic member of the U.S. House of Reprpsentatives, made an unsuccessful bid for the Democratic Party's Presidential nomination, got the party's nod for the 1869 Pennsylvania Governor's race,

Since the Democrat Party fomented Slavery, the Civil War, KKK, the Jim Crow south should we denigrate and erase him too? Tear down his statue? ? Or is hypocrisy the order of the day? What message is the University sending about old Asa??
You do know that your post made virtually no sense on so many levels. How you managed to draw a straight line between a US Representative from PA to slavery, Civil War, KKK and the Jim Crow South is way beyond my understanding.

In the meantime we have some more Lehigh sports to absorb this weekend.
Asa Packer

Post by Asa Packer » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:48 am

LU808: Hey, leave me out of this! :lol:

TMH: Unfortunately, it does make sense in today's world of SJWs gone wild. Said as 14 year adjunct at major university. :roll:
HFO

Post by HFO » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:03 pm

Well I'm a retire orthopedic surgeon, worth +$10s of million. Lehigh will never see a cent of mine while Simon is there and it stays on the liberal dipshit course.

Call me old fashioned, but when my uncles entered Lehigh in early 1900s and I in 1940s, it was bastion of conservatism and a place for industrialist to train. 25% of my graduating class went onto being C-suite or Board of Directors of publicly traded companies. Asa Packer is rolling in his grave. You want to talk about Conservative...our founder was.

Lehigh has been lost since Likens. Farrington, Gast, Simon, all abject failures.
HFO

Post by HFO » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:06 pm

TMH wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:42 am
LU808 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:45 pm

You do know that your post made virtually no sense on so many levels. How you managed to draw a straight line between a US Representative from PA to slavery, Civil War, KKK and the Jim Crow South is way beyond my understanding.

In the meantime we have some more Lehigh sports to absorb this weekend.

But if your really research him, you will find he was a fiscally conservative, religious man or very conservative values.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:35 pm

HFO wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:03 pm 25% of my graduating class went onto being C-suite or Board of Directors of publicly traded companies.
I call bulls***.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:40 pm

"But if your really research him, you will find he was a fiscally conservative, religious man or very conservative values"

All admirable qualities but how does that compare to the one who actually got his degree rescinded.

Please understand. This is not a political issue nor even an ideological issue. During one of your walks, please take time to reflect on the events that have just occurred and tell me how you justify it.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:08 pm

[/quote]

[/quote]

I Think we can all agree that anyone who supported slavery by breaking into the Capitol while carrying a confederate flag has renounced his citizenship, and should be sent to incarceration in Guantanamo.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:22 pm

LU808 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:45 pm Since the Democrat Party fomented Slavery, the Civil War, KKK, the Jim Crow south should we denigrate and erase him too? Tear down his statue? ? Or is hypocrisy the order of the day? What message is the University sending about old Asa??
I get tired of hearing about thinking what the parties represented in the 1800s means that things are the same now. Yes, members of the Old Democratic party mainly from the South did that. Generally around the 60s the parties realigned themselves after the Civil Rights Act. The southern democrats basically disappeared and the joined the Republicans. If not directly like Strom Thurmond by attrition.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:46 pm

FWIW ... Packer opposed slavery, according to this:

https://www.lehigh.edu/~inspc/asa_packe ... packer.pdf

Thus, maybe his statue (is there one on campus?) might be around a while longer.