Lehigh 21-22

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
jdalu75

Re: Lehigh 21-22

Post by jdalu75 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:29 pm

lu_alum wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:25 pm
Made an error on the record, as I used what is shown on the final NCAA brackets. Didn’t realize they added the tourney performance into the record shown on the first line.
https://www.ncaa.com/_flysystem/public- ... on%206.pdf
Gotta watch them anyway. Lots of errors are made. The first iteration of the NCAA brackets counted the Lehigh-Rider dual bouts twice. Wood was shown as 7-2; hate to think that affected his seed, but it probably did.

TMH

Post by TMH » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:48 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:50 pm Who is shorter between Jake L and Thayer L? Lawrence also is from a program with not a lot of tradition, But I assume that is made up for, somewhat by Young Guns
I have not met Lawrence yet but I think he was described as being closer to Humphreys build rather than Logan.

If I'm not mistaken, saying Frazier is a program without a lot of tradition may be a huge understatement. I recall when we recruited Thayne that the Frazier wrestling team was put together for Thayne. I think it consisted of 6 wrestlers in his freshman year and was up to about a dozen by the time he was a junior. I think they were expected to have someone at each weight class this past year for the first time.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:59 am

looks like FRazier started wrestling with 3 guys when he was in 7th grade, That happens once in a while in Pa. A few schools only have the one guy, then goes away when he is done. Harrisburg Christian had a one man team for a couple of years. A little christian school in Philadelphia had a state finalist about 7 years ago (they were in district 1 not 12). He went to Sacred Heart.
Actually my school does that with swimming, some years we have a swimmer or four. We actually have had about 6-8 guys and gals with maybe 12+ state medals They swim at a YMCA about 15 miles. Of course the expense of starting a real wrestling team is pretty insignificant compared to building a pool. Happens in other sports like Tennis Golf XC
lu_alum

Post by lu_alum » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:30 am

jdalu75 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:29 pm
lu_alum wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:25 pm
Made an error on the record, as I used what is shown on the final NCAA brackets. Didn’t realize they added the tourney performance into the record shown on the first line.
https://www.ncaa.com/_flysystem/public- ... on%206.pdf
Gotta watch them anyway. Lots of errors are made. The first iteration of the NCAA brackets counted the Lehigh-Rider dual bouts twice. Wood was shown as 7-2; hate to think that affected his seed, but it probably did.
Yes, I was the one who caught it & posted about Wood having two losses when the field was announced (prior to seeding meetings & bracket release). It tipped off Gimp, who started making calls.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:25 am

Richb-3 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:59 am
Actually my school does that with swimming, some years we have a swimmer or four. We actually have had about 6-8 guys and gals with maybe 12+ state medals They swim at a YMCA about 15 miles. Of course the expense of starting a real wrestling team is pretty insignificant compared to building a pool. Happens in other sports like Tennis Golf XC
The best man at my wedding (yes, I found someone willing to marry me) swam in Kentucky (and later at Clemson). His HS team took third at the state championship one year: he was the only one on the team.

He did hold at one time every freestyle state record.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:52 am

NothingMeaningful wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:25 am
Richb-3 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:59 am
The best man at my wedding (yes, I found someone willing to marry me) swam in Kentucky (and later at Clemson). His HS team took third at the state championship one year: he was the only one on the team.

He did hold at one time every freestyle state record.
Do you know how many events he was allowed to swim in a meet? In N.J. it's no more than 4 - and no more than two individual events. Not sure if one can swim one individual event and all three relays. Seems like it's always two of the eight individual events and two of the three relays for the A swimmers on a team.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:31 am

And of course there is the famous tale of the track meet between the Carlisle Industrial Trade School (5 members) and the vaunted program of Lafayette College (wherever they are located) which was undefeated. Sometimes, it only takes 1.

https://www.northernstar-online.com/gre ... e-college/
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:28 pm

Babe Didrikson Achieved fame by being the only member of her track team (I think employer sponsored) at the AAU Nationals. She had 3 golds and a silver. They(she) won the team title.

about 25 years ago Selinsgrove (then a AA team) had a track sprinter who won the 100, 200, 400, and the team title.

Swimming in Pa is 2 days AAA 2 AA. Boys and girls interspersed -- not this year. 5 qualifying heats for each event in the morning/afternoon. Then, in the evening, Petite(9-16) and Grande(1-8) finals. I think a kid can enter 2 events a day, 4 races. So a great freestyler could win 4 events, 50, 100, 200, 400. 80 points, but not likely to win the team on his/her own. Relays are worth double, so strong teams tend to win. -- 9-16 places get recognition, but not medals. In fact 17-40 places are noted. (I have been watching my cousins granddaughters swim) (talk about sucks- in the D3 tourney all Hershey girls needed to do to win the team title was finish the 4 x 200 free relay, but they were trying to win the event and girl 3 entered the water too soon-- ouch).

Seems like 2 guys is the min to win PIAA wrestling. Rick Santoro and Tom Bold were their only entries when Beca won 1979, of course Bold had 4 pins, and now there a lot more places and many more wrestlebacks, so 2 wont cut it
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:42 pm

That swim story sounds familiar. A few years ago the boys high school team in my town had in the preceding years traded state championships with a team from another part of the state and there was bad blood between the teams. In the sectional championship to determine who went to the state championship all they had to do in the final event - the 400 free relay - was to take second and third. So they split their relay teams - sending the top guy on the A team to anchor the B team. They had second and third sown up by a huge margin going into the last segment but that top guy left the blocks early, the B team got disqualified, the team lost the meet, and they didn't get to go to the state championship against their arch rivals.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:50 pm

The Thorpe Story. I had not realized it was 1912, his olympic year. He had to already be very well known by then.

When I tell the story, only 3 Carlisle students got off the train, and one was the manager.

Carlisle football was one of the top programs by 1907, long before Jim, Most important school in using passing attack.

They had several Olympic T+F athletes and Major Leaguers before Jim.