Ivy League 2021-2022

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
lu_alum

Re: Ivy League 2021-2022

Post by lu_alum » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:59 am

TMH wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:19 am Sorry, I don't understand your logic. Are you saying that the bluest of the blue chips like the group you mentioned are paying for college? I am no expert in this area but I'll assume they are all part of the 9.9 every school is allocated. In that regard, on paper, a full ride to Lehigh has greater monetary value than a full ride to an instate student to SUNY. Just saying that losing Nickerson eg to Cornell may have a lot more to do with the rapid progression of Travis Lee than the cost to a non-scholarship athlete.
Just my opinion
There is no 9.9 in the Ivy.

drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:27 am

Ughh, what hath mookie wrought, by tossing a large chunk of meat in front of 3-4 pit bulls?

CU's Ag School is rated Top 3 in the nation (last I checked) with Nebraska and Okla St.

Sesame St-style debate: "1 of those 3 is not like the other ..." can you guess which one, kids?

You can argue why does CU even have an Ag School? Because they were founded as one, before they became CU.

My only beef (you see where I'm going there?) is that Aggies make up about 1/3rd the enrollment but about 80% or more of the line-up "regulars," making it harder to claim "there's no 'there' there"
TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:40 am

My point, I suppose, was that having the 4 SUNY colleges in their system and hence the lower tuition for in-state students is probably not the deal breaker it is purported to be.

Help me on this though, is it that the Ivy League doesn't use the 9.9 or that due to their large financial aid packages, it is rendered pretty much moot? There is no doubt that Universities needing to spend their endowments faster has created an unlevel playing field but the same exists with every state school. Under that microscope, the fact that we finished #12 last year and beat two #5 teams is pretty amazing.

We have about a 40 man wrestling room with 9.9 equivalencies. The vast majority of guys in the room are pretty highly credentialed. I wonder how many are really paying full cost given that about 50% of all students at Lehigh are getting need-based and academic aid.

The numbers below refer to aid which is supplied by Lehigh University.

50.0% of freshmen (635 total) were given scholarships at Lehigh University, averaging $40,267 per student. This ranks in the top 20th percentile of all colleges in the country.

225 freshman students were awarded a grant. About 18.0% of Lehigh freshmen received grants with an average of $5,466 per person.
lu_alum

Post by lu_alum » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:15 am

TMH wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:40 am Help me on this though, is it that the Ivy League doesn't use the 9.9 or that due to their large financial aid packages, it is rendered pretty much moot?
The Ivies don’t use 9.9 because they do not award athletic scholarships. NCAA 9.9 restriction applies to athletic grants.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:47 am

lu_alum wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:15 am
TMH wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:40 am Help me on this though, is it that the Ivy League doesn't use the 9.9 or that due to their large financial aid packages, it is rendered pretty much moot?
The Ivies don’t use 9.9 because they do not award athletic scholarships. NCAA 9.9 restriction applies to athletic grants.
The difficulty with the Ivies is getting in. The famous "admit lists", which are not limited to Ivy League schools, allow coaches the ability to get their recruits around the sieve that all other students need to go through. Add that to the liberal aid policies that the Ivies can afford, and the Ancient Eight can be competitive in any sport they choose. You don't think Harvard could field a Top Five wrestling program, every year, if it wanted to? Cornell wants to.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:59 am

jdalu75 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:47 am
lu_alum wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:15 am
The difficulty with the Ivies is getting in. The famous "admit lists", which are not limited to Ivy League schools, allow coaches the ability to get their recruits around the sieve that all other students need to go through. Add that to the liberal aid policies that the Ivies can afford, and the Ancient Eight can be competitive in any sport they choose. You don't think Harvard could field a Top Five wrestling program, every year, if it wanted to? Cornell wants to.
I will add that Cornell (and any other Ivy) will not admit any student, no matter how accomplished, if they feel that said student cannot succeed academically at Cornell.
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:00 pm

NothingMeaningful wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:57 am That full ride at Lehigh may have a lower *cost* than a NY resident at Cornell's Ag school (and stop with the SUNY bullshit, please), but the *value* of the Cornell degree is much higher than that of the Lehigh degree (when you look at the earnings over a lifetime). That's with an apples-to-apples courseload comparison. The fact that there aren't available athletic scholarships should tell you something about why these guys chose Cornell (or Princeton) over Lehigh.
Agree with the "stop the SUNY bullshit" comment. And I am also sick of the Cornell bashing that takes place.

However, as to the value of a degree:
https://www.payscale.com/college-salary ... /bachelors

Lehigh ahead both at early career and at mid-career.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:06 pm

drd5748 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:27 am
My only beef (you see where I'm going there?) is that Aggies make up about 1/3rd the enrollment but about 80% or more of the line-up "regulars," making it harder to claim "there's no 'there' there"
Just for shits and giggles, I just looked at the current Cornell roster: of the 23 listed, 10 are not in the Ag school. So, about 60% of the current roster. I can't speak to the "regulars," though you may be more correct.

(and a significant number of those ten are in the Engineering school and one in Architorture).
TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:23 pm

"However, as to the value of a degree:

Lehigh ahead both at early career and at mid-career."

This is certainly a selling point for Lehigh coaches. The truth is that Lehigh doesn't offer many "non-marketable", for lack of a better word, majors. Even the Arts and Science School is pretty heavily weighted to the sciences from the conversations I've had with students on campus. That's certainly a plus for Lehigh but perhaps a disadvantage to recruiting.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:30 pm

JAD77 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:00 pm
NothingMeaningful wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:57 am That full ride at Lehigh may have a lower *cost* than a NY resident at Cornell's Ag school (and stop with the SUNY bullshit, please), but the *value* of the Cornell degree is much higher than that of the Lehigh degree (when you look at the earnings over a lifetime). That's with an apples-to-apples courseload comparison. The fact that there aren't available athletic scholarships should tell you something about why these guys chose Cornell (or Princeton) over Lehigh.
Agree with the "stop the SUNY bullshit" comment. And I am also sick of the Cornell bashing that takes place.

However, as to the value of a degree:

Lehigh ahead both at early career and at mid-career.
If we just look at Engineering (rather than including all those useless fine arts and French literature degrees that Cornell likely has more of than does Lehigh):

Here's Lehigh (open the tab for Rossin): https://www1.lehigh.edu/admissions/job- ... -education

Here's Cornell: https://www.engineering.cornell.edu/sit ... ary-VD.pdf

Just pick various fields and check it out. I'm biased towards the results of the CS data, since I (Cornell '80) and my daughter (Lehigh '20) are both in that field (or were, as I just retired).