Ivy League 2021-2022

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
TMH

Ivy League 2021-2022

Post by TMH » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:22 pm

I recently had a discussion about how the Ivy League rebounds from this cancelled season. I fully understand that every individual is different and different levels may produce different results.

I think we can all pretty much agree that wrestling is one, if not the, most physically demanding sport out there but I believe it can be one of the most mentally draining ones too. Most wrestlers go to the Ivy League to wrestle because of the education and opportunities they provide. So how do they react both physically and mentally after 12-15 months pretty much away from the sport? Do they come back hungrier than ever or does over a year of not having to battle weight issues and endure the workouts while taking on the academic load sap their drive and make them more willing to move on? Are they keeping themselves in wrestling ready condition or do they have a lot of catching up to do?
HEW is a very real phenomena in the best of times. Does a year away deter it or enhance the possibilities?

I'm sure there is no right or wrong answer but I just put it out there philosophically.

jdalu75

Re: Ivy League 2021-2022

Post by jdalu75 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:00 pm

I've wondered about this myself and I guess we'll have to wait to find out. Remember that some Ivy guys took Olympic redshirts last year, and many take a year off anyway as part of their academic curriculum. So we'll have to see how many who haven't wrestled since March 2019 return for the fall of 2021. I normally begin sketching out EIWA rosters over the summer, but this year I'm holding off until teams post rosters. No idea what some eligibility situations will be like.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:18 pm

I can mostly only speak for Cornell, of course. Most of their projected starters (Vito, Yianni, Saunders, Richard, Ramirez, Foca, Dean) have been wrestling a lot of freestyle matches. The other starters (Yapoujian, Darmstadt, Fernandes) apparently have been enrolled and are thus burning a year of eligibility. Cardenas has also been seen in FS matches, so he's also not enrolled. Haven't seen Greg Diakomihalis, who is presumably taking the year at TC3.

As far as eligibility:

Greg D: FR
Vito: SO
Yianni: JR
Saunders: FR
Yapoujian: FR (or So?)
Ramirez: FR
Foca: FR
Dean: JR
Darmstadt: JR (or SR?)
Fernandes: FR (or So?)

By the way, Saunders just beat highly touted PSU recruit Shayne Van Ness 10-0 (in :40), and Foca just beat Max Dean also by 10-0.

Also, many Penn and Princeton guys have also been seen in the RTC Freestyle circuit.
mookie

Post by mookie » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:42 pm

Why does everyone shit on Cornell's Ag school?
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:35 pm

Main reason i shit on it? Because its cheap as a NYS Suny in comparison to the rest of Cornell.... would be like if the Business College at Lehigh only cost $25,000 a year to go to instead of the $68,000 the rest of the students are paying, makes it a lot easier for potential wrestlers/ students to stomach cost and distribute scholarship money.....It is not that much easier to get into than rest of college, although yes it is slightly easier.....and the school is very well known and productive and needed in America today....

So in summation to me its all about $$ advantage in recruiting and maintaining....much like state schools like Ohio State, Penn State etc....
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:10 pm

https://finaid.cornell.edu/detailed-bre ... attendance

Tuition for anyone attending the "endowed" colleges and non-residents attending the state contract colleges is $58,586. Total estimated cost of attendance is $77,952.

Tuition for residents attending the state contract colleges is $39,244. Total estimated cost of attendance is $58,610.

Compare to Virginia Tech. Tuition for residents is $13,691, with total estimated cost of attendance at $27,033. Tuition for out-of-state residents is $32,835, with total estimated cost of attendance at $46,177. A New Yorker can attend Virginia Tech for less than he/she can attend Cornell's Ag colleges.

Lehigh's tuition is $54,490. Room and Board varies but averages around $15,000, and other expenses will total around $5000 (more than my freshman year cost total in 1971-72). So that's around $75,000. The only price advantage that Cornell has is for New York residents attending the Ag school.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:20 pm

According to the site below, Cornell's Ag school has an acceptance rate of 8.8% and SAT ranging from 1240-1430

https://blog.collegevine.com/which-coll ... e-schools/

Virginia Tech has an acceptance rate of 70% with SAT ranging from 1180-1390

Lehigh has an acceptance rate of 32.1% and SAT ranging from 1280-1450

It seems to me that any complaints about the Ag school is nit-picking.

Can't wait to see how the Ivies respond to this long layoff next year.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:28 am

The two best wrestlers on team are NYers (Yianni and Vito).....Greg D. obviously a NYer..... Dake is a NYer....Nickerson a NYer and so on.... inagine if Lehigh could rake one or two of the best PA kids at state school prices every year?

And my dollar numbers were all just throw outs in general terms....but doesnt change the facts.... gotta love engineers and their numbers....Also i’m not comparing ag school to other schools I’m comparing it to acceptance rate for rest of Cornell
TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:19 am

Spladle1989 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:28 am The two best wrestlers on team are NYers (Yianni and Vito).....Greg D. obviously a NYer..... Dake is a NYer....Nickerson a NYer and so on.... inagine if Lehigh could rake one or two of the best PA kids at state school prices every year?

And my dollar numbers were all just throw outs in general terms....but doesnt change the facts.... gotta love engineers and their numbers....Also i’m not comparing ag school to other schools I’m comparing it to acceptance rate for rest of Cornell
Sorry, I don't understand your logic. Are you saying that the bluest of the blue chips like the group you mentioned are paying for college? I am no expert in this area but I'll assume they are all part of the 9.9 every school is allocated. In that regard, on paper, a full ride to Lehigh has greater monetary value than a full ride to an instate student to SUNY. Just saying that losing Nickerson eg to Cornell may have a lot more to do with the rapid progression of Travis Lee than the cost to a non-scholarship athlete.
Just my opinion
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:57 am

TMH wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:19 am
Spladle1989 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:28 am The two best wrestlers on team are NYers (Yianni and Vito).....Greg D. obviously a NYer..... Dake is a NYer....Nickerson a NYer and so on.... inagine if Lehigh could rake one or two of the best PA kids at state school prices every year?

Sorry, I don't understand your logic. Are you saying that the bluest of the blue chips like the group you mentioned are paying for college? I am no expert in this area but I'll assume they are all part of the 9.9 every school is allocated. In that regard, on paper, a full ride to Lehigh has greater monetary value than a full ride to an instate student to SUNY. Just saying that losing Nickerson eg to Cornell may have a lot more to do with the rapid progression of Travis Lee than the cost to a non-scholarship athlete.
Just my opinion
When did the Ivy League start handing out 9.9 scholarships? The Ivy League does not give out athletic (or even academic) scholarships: all aid is need-based (at least ostensibly). So, yeah, Yianni, Vito, and Dake paid for college, unless they qualified for need-based aid.

That full ride at Lehigh may have a lower *cost* than a NY resident at Cornell's Ag school (and stop with the SUNY bullshit, please), but the *value* of the Cornell degree is much higher than that of the Lehigh degree (when you look at the earnings over a lifetime). That's with an apples-to-apples courseload comparison. The fact that there aren't available athletic scholarships should tell you something about why these guys chose Cornell (or Princeton) over Lehigh.