Cornell Wrestling Forum

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
LU808

Re: Cornell Wrestling Forum

Post by LU808 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:24 pm

JAD77 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:58 am I just don't understand the whole Covid anti-vaccine thing. All kids are required to have a laundry list of vaccines before entering public school. I understand that there is a small minority of people that are opposed to this, and home school as a result. I personally don't agree with this, but it is their choice. Cornell's decision to require the vaccine can be viewed as an extension of the childhood vaccine requirement - necessary to deal with a new and dangerous virus. Just as with childhood vaccines, Cornell has the safety of the entire student body to consider. However, with the Covid vaccine, the % of people opposed to it are a multiple of the usual anti-vaxers. The main impetus behind this opposition, based upon polls that identify the population who are opposed, seems to be a denial of science based purely on politics. I understand this is a simplification and does not apply to all of them, and I realize this is my opinion only, but if true that seems to be a pretty ignorant reason to put yourself and others at risk.
If I were a Cornell fan, after what Cornell has done for, and provided to, both Max and his brother Gabe, I would be pretty upset if that were the main reason for his decision.
Before anyone gets upset by this post I did emphasize that all the above is purely my opinion.

Klehner - as a Cornell alum and fan - I'm honestly curious as to your take on all of this.

"...seems to be a denial of science based purely on politics".

If that is the case can we open to schools to five day a week in person teaching and disregard the Teacher's Unions lock outs?

JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:27 pm

You're right - I'm sure she'll be fine. But man, if anyone had the grades/test scores, combined with the legacy aspect, it was her. I'm not you, but if I was, I'd write a strongly worded letter to the President of Cornell and the Dean of Admissions.

By the way, thanks for your response to my post - well written and much appreciated.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:28 pm

Must be an economic-downturn sort of thing. After the 2008 banking panic (or whatever they're calling it now) the "public Ivy" schools like UVA and William & Mary saw huge jumps in applications. The reasoning was that many top students couldn't afford to attend private colleges and so swamped the top publics. UVA went from something like 13,000 in 2008 to 23,000 in 2010 (the year my son graduated high school). We thought he had a good chance of getting in and he wasn't even wait-listed.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:50 pm

LU808 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:24 pm
JAD77 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:58 am I just don't understand the whole Covid anti-vaccine thing. All kids are required to have a laundry list of vaccines before entering public school. I understand that there is a small minority of people that are opposed to this, and home school as a result. I personally don't agree with this, but it is their choice. Cornell's decision to require the vaccine can be viewed as an extension of the childhood vaccine requirement - necessary to deal with a new and dangerous virus. Just as with childhood vaccines, Cornell has the safety of the entire student body to consider. However, with the Covid vaccine, the % of people opposed to it are a multiple of the usual anti-vaxers. The main impetus behind this opposition, based upon polls that identify the population who are opposed, seems to be a denial of science based purely on politics. I understand this is a simplification and does not apply to all of them, and I realize this is my opinion only, but if true that seems to be a pretty ignorant reason to put yourself and others at risk.
If I were a Cornell fan, after what Cornell has done for, and provided to, both Max and his brother Gabe, I would be pretty upset if that were the main reason for his decision.
Before anyone gets upset by this post I did emphasize that all the above is purely my opinion.

Klehner - as a Cornell alum and fan - I'm honestly curious as to your take on all of this.

"...seems to be a denial of science based purely on politics".

If that is the case can we open to schools to five day a week in person teaching and disregard the Teacher's Unions lock outs?
I suggest starting a new thread here for this kind of discussion. Perhaps follow the PSU forum example and name it the "Gratuitous COVID-19 Dumpster Fire Thread"?
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:36 pm

exceptional job maintaining civility on an annoying and hot topic (too often made hotter than necessary; but what else is new?).

Some of you should run for office.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:55 pm

drd5748 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:36 pm
Some of you should run for office.
Maybe we did, and we lost. So we're posting here.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:33 am

NothingMeaningful wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:50 pm
As a parent of a HS senior who applied to Cornell Early Decision (apparently, 1560 SATs, a 4.2GPA, a 5 on the AP CS test and two Cornell graduate parents weren't sufficient to gain admittance), I was watching Cornell's handling of the pandemic. They did an outstanding job of managing illnesses, rarely having more than a handful of infections at any given point. As others (I'm looking at you, "Billyhoyle"!) have pointed out, the Ivy League is about academics, not athletics, first. So they made the decision that they would not risk their *students* by allowing intercollegiate athletics. They've attempted to make it up to their athletes, but mostly fell short due to there being not much they can do about it. (off your topic, but it is interesting that the Princeton senior athletes have all indicated that the Ivy League's granting of the one-time graduate student eligibility came too late to actually get into Princeton's graduate programs)

Cornell wrestling fans are pretty much <rolleyes> wrt Kyle Dake's more nonsensical training/living theories; remember the saying that "some people succeed despite what they do." We are more slack-jawed and angry over the anti-Semitic and other ramblings of Nahshon Garrett, and I think lose a lot of respect for him that he rightfully earned over the years. I think there are more than a few who were disappointed in Koll and Yianni being photographed with then-President Trump (at least Yianni didn't wear sweats, unlike some others at that photo-op!).

We don't know everything about the Dean*2 situation, so I can't really speculate. I doubt that Koll would lie (he's been around long enough to know that lies eventually are disproved for all to see) about what he and Max discussed. I know nothing about the opinions of the brothers on science, vaccination, etc.

Finally, I really don't want to add fuel to any more COVID/vaccination discussions; I'd prefer to stick to wrestling stuff. This is being discussed on four different wrestling forums at the same time (I don't look at the Hawkeye Report forum, because I get enough Penn State chatter on Penn State's forum :-), and on at least two of them it has veered into the nonsense you describe above.

(Most of the conflict on this site is pretty good-natured (except for the SUNY Ithaca crap :-), which I enjoy)

An interesting piece on historical vaccination acceptance and vaccination passports was on NPR yesterday: https://www.npr.org/2021/04/08/98525342 ... -whats-new

I get pulled in at times, but I'm learning that it isn't worth my time and stress.
From Princeton's Class of 2025 details:
Princeton University has offered admission to 1,498 students for the Class of 2025, including 22% who will be first-generation college students, an increase from 17% last year. Sixty-eight percent of U.S. citizens or permanent residents in the admitted group self-identified as people of color, including biracial and multiracial students.

Not sure your daughter's "person of color" status but considering that 68% of PU's class met that criteria one has to wonder whether CU, another virtue signaling woke factory, went the same route. The Ivies - and most others tbh - are not institutions of higher learning anymore. Its all about the woke. Hasn't NPR taught you anything? MH finds it somewhat delicious that your dumbass leftism has circled all the way around to bite you in the ass.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:43 am

Mountain Hawk wrote in part,

"From Princeton's Class of 2025 details:
Princeton University has offered admission to 1,498 students for the Class of 2025, including 22% who will be first-generation college students, an increase from 17% last year. Sixty-eight percent of U.S. citizens or permanent residents in the admitted group self-identified as people of color, including biracial and multiracial students."

For Dartmouth it's 48% identifying as black, indigenous or "other people of color."

This is what's known as "equity".
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:53 am

Mountain Hawk wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:33 am Hasn't NPR taught you anything? MH finds it somewhat delicious that your dumbass leftism has circled all the way around to bite you in the ass.
So much for Denny’s post concerning civility. :roll:

MH can always be counted on for biting and acerbic commentary,
not that there’s anything wrong with that!! :lol:

My apologies to all, as I started this descent into the culture wars.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:11 am

Mountain Hawk wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:33 am
From Princeton's Class of 2025 details:
Princeton University has offered admission to 1,498 students for the Class of 2025, including 22% who will be first-generation college students, an increase from 17% last year. Sixty-eight percent of U.S. citizens or permanent residents in the admitted group self-identified as people of color, including biracial and multiracial students.

Not sure your daughter's "person of color" status but considering that 68% of PU's class met that criteria one has to wonder whether CU, another virtue signaling woke factory, went the same route. The Ivies - and most others tbh - are not institutions of higher learning anymore. Its all about the woke. Hasn't NPR taught you anything? MH finds it somewhat delicious that your dumbass leftism has circled all the way around to bite you in the ass.
One difference (among many, I'm sure) between you and me is that I understand the need sometimes to make a personal sacrifice to enable justice for those to whom it was long denied. I'm not big on IGMFY, which is probably your license plate.

"Princeton University has offered admission to 1,823 students for the Class of 2024, including 17% who will be first-generation college students and 61% of U.S. citizens or permanent residents self-identified as people of color,"

Class of 2022: "53.4 percent have self-identified as people of color, including biracial and multiracial students"

Shall I keep going? When did this "wokeness" start?

Take your "wokeness" and shove it somewhere else.