Cornell Wrestling Forum

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
NothingMeaningful

Re: Cornell Wrestling Forum

Post by NothingMeaningful » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:03 am

lu_alum wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:58 am
NothingMeaningful wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:33 pm
whiz wit wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:22 pm Confirming recent rumors, Max Dean has entered the transfer portal. Rumored that he and Gabe are looking to return to Michigan.
He did just get spanked by Foca at the Last Chance Qualifiers, but doubtful that's the reason (although if he can't beat Foca, Max has nowhere to go). That would leave Berreyesa at 174, I guess.

Still: Greg D/Vito/Yianni/Saunders/Yapoujian/Ramirez/Berreyesa/Foca/Darmstadt/Fernandes. I'll take it.
Also speculation that the vaccine mandate could have something to do with the decision:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/edu ... 107778002/
Coach Koll is quoted in a Flo article that Max was concerned that the Ivy League would cancel sports for the 2021-22 year (not very likely), and that he had "issues" with the vaccination requirement.

gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:06 am

What I saw in the article (I skimmed so might have missed something) was that the requirement was for the class of 2025. So the problem would be more hypothetical (or hypo-antithetical) than actual for them.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:28 am

gimpeltf wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:06 am What I saw in the article (I skimmed so might have missed something) was that the requirement was for the class of 2025. So the problem would be more hypothetical (or hypo-antithetical) than actual for them.
Headline is incorrect (or incomplete at best). All students will be required (it really doesn't make sense for just the freshmen, does it?).

https://statements.cornell.edu/2021/202 ... uction.cfm
Accordingly, Cornell intends to require vaccination for students returning to Ithaca, Geneva, and Cornell Tech campuses for the fall semester.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:01 am

NothingMeaningful wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:28 am
gimpeltf wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:06 am What I saw in the article (I skimmed so might have missed something) was that the requirement was for the class of 2025. So the problem would be more hypothetical (or hypo-antithetical) than actual for them.
Headline is incorrect (or incomplete at best). All students will be required (it really doesn't make sense for just the freshmen, does it?).

https://statements.cornell.edu/2021/202 ... uction.cfm
Accordingly, Cornell intends to require vaccination for students returning to Ithaca, Geneva, and Cornell Tech campuses for the fall semester.
The Cornell article does say all whereas the USA Today article implies class of 2025.
Thanks

And that does make more sense if there's truth to the Dean situation in this regard.
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:58 am

I just don't understand the whole Covid anti-vaccine thing. All kids are required to have a laundry list of vaccines before entering public school. I understand that there is a small minority of people that are opposed to this, and home school as a result. I personally don't agree with this, but it is their choice. Cornell's decision to require the vaccine can be viewed as an extension of the childhood vaccine requirement - necessary to deal with a new and dangerous virus. Just as with childhood vaccines, Cornell has the safety of the entire student body to consider. However, with the Covid vaccine, the % of people opposed to it are a multiple of the usual anti-vaxers. The main impetus behind this opposition, based upon polls that identify the population who are opposed, seems to be a denial of science based purely on politics. I understand this is a simplification and does not apply to all of them, and I realize this is my opinion only, but if true that seems to be a pretty ignorant reason to put yourself and others at risk.
If I were a Cornell fan, after what Cornell has done for, and provided to, both Max and his brother Gabe, I would be pretty upset if that were the main reason for his decision.
Before anyone gets upset by this post I did emphasize that all the above is purely my opinion.

Klehner - as a Cornell alum and fan - I'm honestly curious as to your take on all of this.
D3 for LU

Post by D3 for LU » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:19 pm

JAD77 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:58 am I just don't understand the whole Covid anti-vaccine thing. All kids are required to have a laundry list of vaccines before entering public school. I understand that there is a small minority of people that are opposed to this, and home school as a result. I personally don't agree with this, but it is their choice. Cornell's decision to require the vaccine can be viewed as an extension of the childhood vaccine requirement - necessary to deal with a new and dangerous virus. Just as with childhood vaccines, Cornell has the safety of the entire student body to consider. However, with the Covid vaccine, the % of people opposed to it are a multiple of the usual anti-vaxers. The main impetus behind this opposition, based upon polls that identify the population who are opposed, seems to be a denial of science based purely on politics. I understand this is a simplification and does not apply to all of them, and I realize this is my opinion only, but if true that seems to be a pretty ignorant reason to put yourself and others at risk.
If I were a Cornell fan, after what Cornell has done for, and provided to, both Max and his brother Gabe, I would be pretty upset if that were the main reason for his decision.
Before anyone gets upset by this post I did emphasize that all the above is purely my opinion.

Klehner - as a Cornell alum and fan - I'm honestly curious as to your take on all of this.
+1... well said, JAD. :|
D3
Sir, a pint of you finest ale, please!
Never argue with an idiot... he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:50 pm

JAD77 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:58 am I just don't understand the whole Covid anti-vaccine thing. All kids are required to have a laundry list of vaccines before entering public school. I understand that there is a small minority of people that are opposed to this, and home school as a result. I personally don't agree with this, but it is their choice. Cornell's decision to require the vaccine can be viewed as an extension of the childhood vaccine requirement - necessary to deal with a new and dangerous virus. Just as with childhood vaccines, Cornell has the safety of the entire student body to consider. However, with the Covid vaccine, the % of people opposed to it are a multiple of the usual anti-vaxers. The main impetus behind this opposition, based upon polls that identify the population who are opposed, seems to be a denial of science based purely on politics. I understand this is a simplification and does not apply to all of them, and I realize this is my opinion only, but if true that seems to be a pretty ignorant reason to put yourself and others at risk.

As a parent of a HS senior who applied to Cornell Early Decision (apparently, 1560 SATs, a 4.2GPA, a 5 on the AP CS test and two Cornell graduate parents weren't sufficient to gain admittance), I was watching Cornell's handling of the pandemic. They did an outstanding job of managing illnesses, rarely having more than a handful of infections at any given point. As others (I'm looking at you, "Billyhoyle"!) have pointed out, the Ivy League is about academics, not athletics, first. So they made the decision that they would not risk their *students* by allowing intercollegiate athletics. They've attempted to make it up to their athletes, but mostly fell short due to there being not much they can do about it. (off your topic, but it is interesting that the Princeton senior athletes have all indicated that the Ivy League's granting of the one-time graduate student eligibility came too late to actually get into Princeton's graduate programs)

Cornell wrestling fans are pretty much <rolleyes> wrt Kyle Dake's more nonsensical training/living theories; remember the saying that "some people succeed despite what they do." We are more slack-jawed and angry over the anti-Semitic and other ramblings of Nahshon Garrett, and I think lose a lot of respect for him that he rightfully earned over the years. I think there are more than a few who were disappointed in Koll and Yianni being photographed with then-President Trump (at least Yianni didn't wear sweats, unlike some others at that photo-op!).

We don't know everything about the Dean*2 situation, so I can't really speculate. I doubt that Koll would lie (he's been around long enough to know that lies eventually are disproved for all to see) about what he and Max discussed. I know nothing about the opinions of the brothers on science, vaccination, etc.

Finally, I really don't want to add fuel to any more COVID/vaccination discussions; I'd prefer to stick to wrestling stuff. This is being discussed on four different wrestling forums at the same time (I don't look at the Hawkeye Report forum, because I get enough Penn State chatter on Penn State's forum :-), and on at least two of them it has veered into the nonsense you describe above.

(Most of the conflict on this site is pretty good-natured (except for the SUNY Ithaca crap :-), which I enjoy)

An interesting piece on historical vaccination acceptance and vaccination passports was on NPR yesterday: https://www.npr.org/2021/04/08/98525342 ... -whats-new

I get pulled in at times, but I'm learning that it isn't worth my time and stress.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:26 pm

NM, I'm astonished that with those numbers and being a double legacy your daughter didn't get into Cornell. Somebody on the admissions team must have read your wrestling posts. :lol:
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:39 pm

whiz wit wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:26 pm NM, I'm astonished that with those numbers and being a double legacy your daughter didn't get into Cornell. Somebody on the admissions team must have read your wrestling posts. :lol:
The pandemic did insane things with college applications. I think Harvard had a more than 40% increase in applications; UCSD had something like 115,000 applications (daughter is on their waiting list); some elite schools are going to have 3-4% acceptance rates. The fact that many schools were making standardized tests optional didn't help her, either.

One thing that hasn't changed is that to get into these kind of schools, you have to have something truly exceptional on your record: lots of money, real excellence in some endeavour, etc. She didn't have that (look up Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, or POTS, to understand why that might have been). Oh, well. She's deciding between Wisconsin and Maryland (both of which have excellent CS departments), so she'll be fine.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:22 pm

Instead of having a racist admissions policy that relies on applicants HS body of work and testing - why not move to a lottery?