Week-End Salvo

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Richb-3

Re: Week-End Salvo

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:43 pm

I gather Giardia is ranked between Dysentery and Cholera, with cholera about the equal of detectable Covid-19. Hepatitis A ranking with Dysentary (reading books on the Civil war it seems like everyone on both sides had the old soldiers disease excepting Robert E Lee.

Guess I was lucky and careful not to get G (I once was Guiding on the Lehigh R when, out of nowhere, I got severe hiccups, with only a couple swallows left in my water bottle. I was about to start drinking mass river water, when an opened 24 oz water bottle floated by, respect the river gods)

I also like to think that G was the end of Cole Waters career, not wrestling injuries, so we can put him in the same column as Eric Hess and Austin Meyes. (career ended by a fluke condition, not a normal wrestling injury)

drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:33 pm

Cole also had a serious issue with a neck vertebrae; he had the surgery, I think, but then got the ghiardia bug; I also contracted that on a trip to Russia in '73, where the residents are immune partly due to heavy doses of vodka. Thanks to reading a NY Times article about G before I traveled, I had an idea what I had a week or so after getting home. I was lucky it was a mild case but the first hit of drugs didn't fully finish it off.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:51 pm

Yeah I know that Cole had an injury similar to Rushatz, But I like to think he was AA material before the illness, no reason to think he had less potential than Hess, there records were pretty much the same in HS
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:50 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:51 pm I like to think he was AA material before the illness
The Staff certainly thought so. Walter's best results were in a handful of road tournaments that none of us saw.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:34 pm

Hess's Best win was probably Stutzman pf Bloom, who I may or may not have placed, But I think Was Top 6 ranked when it happened.

Walter's best was likely McFadden. he had an awful lot of Quality close losses. Massa, Little Valencia etc

Obviously one can't be sure of NCAA places (Steve Hunte of Iowa) but I certainly think health would have been top 10 seeds at least a couple of times