Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
TMH

Post by TMH » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:02 pm

Whether we wish to admit it or not, Covid has had a significant impact on our wrestling team over the last year. As I mentioned earlier, there was only 1 wrestler who was not under Covid protocol at least once. For many it was several times.

The biggest casualties to what transpired are true freshmen. I happen to think that last year's recruiting class was quite outstanding. Only the bluest of the blue chips can make the transition from HS to Div 1 seamlessly and typically only if they come from a high powered HS program. The vast majority of our recruits did not.
These freshmen missed the summer training that is so important in the transition. Fall practices began and within a week or so was shut down for 5 weeks. Even during the January/February time periods, individuals were put on protocol and then of course there are the injuries that always seem more prevalent when training is haphazard.

With all the being said, 2 of those freshmen are at 184# in JT Davis and Caden Wright. Davis was 2-3 with a MD before his injury. Wright was 3-4 with a pin. I'm not here to predict that either will be an All-American right now but I think both are only at the beginning of their developmental growth curve. Both have, I suppose a possibility of 5 years to fulfill that development and I'm looking forward to see how it plays out.

mookie

Re: 184

Post by mookie » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:28 pm

Athleticism for both is a concern. That can't be coached.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:21 pm

I'm not sure what you mean. IMO, if you build a resume that allows you to compete at the Div 1 level, you generally already have the tools to be considered athletic. So why can't components of athleticism be coached?

In your opinion, do they lack strength ? We have really good strength and conditioning coaches. Quickness which is far more relevant than speed in wrestling IMO is often the result of confidence. Hesitate and the physical element means nothing. Lieberman was probably correct that wrestling is 80% mental. Agility? They have it. Can it be refined? Of course.

I'm going to remain optimistic that they can be real contributors until they prove me wrong. What needs to be measured is heart and the willingness to do what it takes. They are only 18-19 yo kids right now.
mookie

Post by mookie » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:25 pm

Well we disagree on mostly all points. Hoping I'm wrong.