Still Cloudy

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
mookie

Still Cloudy

Post by mookie » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:47 am

Many questions in a season full of them.

125: I'm now officially bored with the Les Affairs Stanich. Just start Seymour and be done with it.
133: At some point, the bubble wrap needs to be removed.
141: Wouldn't mind seeing Bailey as the starter
149: Reinsel or Griffin...not much difference.
157: Brignola is pretty good.
165: Should be Herceg.
174: Void
184: Wilt is a competitor
197: Beard - he's been the #1 horse
285: Taylor - 1A

martinsilvestri

Re: Still Cloudy

Post by martinsilvestri » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:11 am

mookie wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:47 am Many questions in a season full of them.

125: I'm now officially bored with the Les Affairs Stanich. Just start Seymour and be done with it.
133: At some point, the bubble wrap needs to be removed.
141: Wouldn't mind seeing Bailey as the starter
149: Reinsel or Griffin...not much difference.
157: Brignola is pretty good.
165: Should be Herceg.
174: Void
184: Wilt is a competitor
197: Beard - he's been the #1 horse
285: Taylor - 1A
Understandable Lehigh would take the foot off the gas somewhat after the tough weeks behind us, but man was that close. Glad to get the win yesterday but the conversation today could be very different depending on split-second moments at 133, 165, and 157.

A couple people are really pushing the issue on the facebook page. One guy in particular really insisting on answers about 125 and 133. Meanwhile wrestlers' family members jumping in to defend the team. Kind of awkward.

I don't ever want to be discouraging to these guys. I'm rooting for anyone wearing the Lehigh singlet. But it's a spectator sport and it comes with the territory. Any of the "big" schools are going to get a lot more active and aggressive fan engagement for better and for worse.
Last edited by martinsilvestri on Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:18 am

>>>>>>> The only ‘cloudy’ issue is the coaching staff not explaining every decision in detail for fans to hyper ventilate over. The lineup is fairly straight forward, given the injuries/ weight issues at various weights along with the patient approach for determining the 149 starter ( which OkieSt is also doing at 149 per Smith’s recent Flo interview)

Appears obvious that Santoro and staff are being careful with the weight and youth issues at 125 & 133———- and by any objective analysis the process is working extremely well: Stanich & Crookham are a combined 27-1.

Stanich was ranked #16 at 132 by Flo as a hs senior———limiting his weigh-ins is a sensible approach ( especially with Seymour at 125) that is working exceptionally well so far.

Crookham has a history of injury issues——It’s not an unreasonable coaching approach for him to miss an occasional dual ( for whatever reason).

Lastly, the Army dual was edge of your seat exciting for fans ( were you not entertained? ) and would have been a ho-hum affair with Stanich and Crookham in the lineup————-I don’t think that was the coach’s objective, but it definitely the outcome.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:33 am

Drum roll ...... I agree with FL Guy (a.k.a. General Obvious)

Nicely summarized and accurate. IMO.
mookie

Post by mookie » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:43 pm

All so reasonable, so sensible.
lu_alum

Post by lu_alum » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:45 pm

My speculation is that we'll see Stanich as follows:

9-Feb: Bucknell
24-Feb: @ Arizona State - #11/#14 Figueroa (IM/Flo ranks)
8-Mar: EIWA (two weigh-ins)
21-Mar: NCAA (three weigh-ins)

That puts him on a schedule to (weigh-in and) compete every two weeks, with another opportunity against a ranked opponent prior to EIWAs. Over the six week timeframe, he would only have to hit the scale seven more times for the four events.
Dad

Post by Dad » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:56 pm

Good analysis Mookie. I only disagree with 2 of your points. Stanich has trouble making 125. There is no reason for him to make weight every weekend. He is the guy. It will be his only shot at 125 as he will move up next year.

Regarding the bubble wrap comment - Ryan has had a consistent issue with injuries. There is no downside to giving him a week off. He wrestled all of the top guys on our schedule this year. He is a legitimate title threat if he is 100%.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:11 pm

lu_alum wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:45 pm My speculation is that we'll see Stanich as follows:

That puts him on a schedule to (weigh-in and) compete every two weeks, with another opportunity against a ranked opponent prior to EIWAs. Over the six week timeframe, he would only have to hit the scale seven more times for the four events.
He already beat Figueroa so give Seymour the bout - esp if the hand keeps improving.
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:25 pm

Mountain Hawk wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:11 pm
lu_alum wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:45 pm My speculation is that we'll see Stanich as follows:

He already beat Figueroa so give Seymour the bout - esp if the hand keeps improving.
Why would we risk a loss there though? These are the times Stanich is most needed.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:58 pm

Does it matter how the staff does it? If they want to rest Crookham and Stanich, so what? As long as they are 100% entering EIWAs, that's all that matters.

Penn State has scaled back their competitions over the years. NC State has publicly announced their intention of doing the same. These days, if someone wants a lot of bouts, they can get them....and if they want to stay healthy, rest and be fresh come tournament time, they can do that as well. It seems to me there are legit reasons why these 2 are being held out. Of course it makes the fan base nervous, but the coaches have to do what's best for the athletes. If it doesn't work out, they will be second-guessed, but we have no real choice but to trust their judgement. And why wouldn't we? Pat's track record is better than most. Every program swings and misses from time to time. IMO, Lehigh will be fine and well-rested -- even hungry -- for the post season.

This last EIWA tournament is going to be extremely competitive -- tons of ranked guys in the conference this year.
It seems most teams have a few tough outs that will keep everyone's attention and focus on the next bout. Looking past the qualifier to nationals would be a huge mistake.