2025 EIWA Championships

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Spladle1989

Re: 2025 EIWA Championships

Post by Spladle1989 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:51 am

absolutely, only really need parking pass is if walking is difficult for you.....and only then really on Friday

Justafan

Post by Justafan » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:56 am

Spladle1989 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:47 am ummm....Zach Rey literally said the coaches treat the regular season as just preparation for the post season.....multiple times actually in his interview with Flo.......

Also I have been to EIWA's 3 out of last 4 years and will be this year, best matches pretty much every year from my viewpoint are Lehigh vs. Cornell or Penn or Princeton wrestler.....who's filling that void? Morgan State? Please........

I'm being mellow dramatic?
Did you ever ask Zach what he meant by that? I just talked to him but never thought to ask. Point out an instance where we didn't wrestle a dual meet to win. Did we have some absences during the season? Of course, as does every team in the NCAA...see Missouri in their last match. Every single match is a learning experience that should yield dividends for the post season.

Read my post. We lost Penn State, Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers, Temple etc. No new team came in to replace their points. Teams will tend to step up eventually. When Penn State left, Princetion (#4) was the only Ivy League school to crack the top 7. The following year after Pitt left none of the current Ivy League teams cracked the top 7. Most were bottom dwellers.

I think Navy is poised to make a move up. Perhaps so is Army. Rider is a possibility for next year and who knows how other realignments will impact the EIWA. Perhaps the Ivies have buyers remorse when 1/3 of the wrestlers will begin in the semi-finals.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:19 pm

[/quote]

I think Navy is poised to make a move up. Perhaps so is Army. Rider is a possibility for next year and who knows how other realignments will impact the EIWA. Perhaps the Ivies have buyers remorse when 1/3 of the wrestlers will begin in the semi-finals.
[/quote]

There is a difference between stepping up and moving up by default, Army and Navy will move up by default to be Lehigh's biggest challenger......but let's not pretend like they've "improved" or "stepped up"next year when they suddenly have multiple finalists........

I guess I don't live in that part of the U.S. anymore but Rider? Morgan State?......If I mentioned those schools to people around here (WNY) they would have zero idea where or what they are........and I'm not talking about wrestling I'm talking about the schools in general.....Ask someone outside of NJ, NY metro and Eastern PA if they've ever heard of Rider and I'm guessing around 95% say no..........but everyone has heard of Princeton, Cornell and Penn.........
HFO

Post by HFO » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:39 pm

Again, high school wrestling is pretty darn strong from VA to NY. The EIWA will do fine. If a 2-3 more teams come in all the better. The Top 4 teams will be competitive in the Top 40. Maybe Lehigh can stay in Top 10-15 for a long time. Maybe some years crack into Top 5-10.

So some other EIWA team will emerge. 20 years ago American got hot. Cornell got hot under Koll and now Grey. Princeton got hot under Ayres. Penn got hot under Reina. I would not bet against Kolat long-term at Navy. He could become a legend beyond what he already is. Army under Ward continues to improve. Wirnsberger has good wrestlers at Bucknell. I think Long Island wrestling could reemerge with LIU and Hofstra. Binghampton is putting good teams and recruiting upstate NY and northern PA very well.

EIWA will be fine. It will produce All Americans. It will produce National Champions. It will hold its own.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:47 pm

HFO I agree with you on a lot of things, but on this one going to have to agree to disagree.....wrestling pedigree of schools in EIWA will be down next year and overall pedigree of schools in EIWA will be down next year....

Things change, just because it worked out in the past does not mean we should have blind faith that it will again in the future.....plucking the Rider and Morgan State's of the world does not in my opinion better the conference in any way other than adding numbers and one could make a good argument it lessens the academic "image" of the conference.....