End of an Era

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Richb-3

Re: End of an Era

Post by Richb-3 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:19 am

martinsilvestri wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:08 am Thought this was interesting in light of the recent discussion about Dartmouth wrestling:

Reddit post entitled "Dartmouth college not allowing wrestling club" 2 hours ago on r/wrestling:
"Hey wrestlers, I am currently at Dartmouth. They have neither a club nor a varsity wrestling program. Some other former wrestlers have been trying to start at least a club, but they have blatantly ignored our emails, etc. I decided to go there and forgo college wrestling because I was injured and recovering from surgery anyway. I figured I could start a club, but now I'm unsure what to do. Does anyone have experience with colleges not complying like this?"
Dartmouth wrestling would need both a men's and women's team, either club or varsity.

George Porgie

Post by George Porgie » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:04 pm

I think the best idea I've heard is EIWA and ACC merging. The big loss to me is Cornell. They were our main competitor and always raised the level of the conference. But Va. Tech, NC State, North Carolina etc. are good academic schools, and Va. Tech is a school that has good recruiting. The travel would not be that bad, we recruit the Northeast but the programs in the south are producing some polished talent, we could buy into that pool of talent. Penn is periodically good but so is NC State. We bring some solid programs to the table as well, Bucknell, Binghamton, Drexel are marginally good and the competition would sharpen them up. Is Frank Popolizio still at NC State? And if we're going to dream big, the end run would be a network dedicated to those programs. That may not work without football and basketball included. But hey, I'm a person that doesn't really treasure change, but it's inevitable, and if it's embraced, with some imagination, good things may come of it. This is a good time too, currently Lehigh brings a lot to the table.
lu_alum

Post by lu_alum » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:04 pm

LUEngineer wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:41 am Do you think it is possible that the Ivy move was to reestablish the original EIWA by first breaking off & at some point invite the 5 Patriot League schools to join them next year?

Ivies did not like bringing in the marginal academic schools that the EIWA did several years ago to keep 16 team league.

So perhaps this is step 1 of a 2 step process to realign with like minded institutions. Essentially restarting the EIWA in a way that didn’t kick out the marginal programs. New name will be “IPWA”.

Perhaps this is why no one in authority has any passion to approach the ACC?
No. The Ivies want to have their own thing - an IVY LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP.
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:06 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:19 am Dartmouth wrestling would need both a men's and women's team, either club or varsity.
well that's really unfair and unfortunate... idk if thats an ivy policy or what but it makes women's wrestling a direct barrier to these students trying to start a wrestling team and a good example of the "woke nonsense" to which i alluded earlier.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:57 pm

martinsilvestri wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Richb-3 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:19 am Dartmouth wrestling would need both a men's and women's team, either club or varsity.
well that's really unfair and unfortunate... idk if thats an ivy policy or what but it makes women's wrestling a direct barrier to these students trying to start a wrestling team and a good example of the "woke nonsense" to which i alluded earlier.
Oh come on. I remember 20 years ago when the asleep, like Dale Anderson, said Girls/Women's would never catch on. Too bad that he wasn't awake enough to catch his boss, Hastert diddling Jr High Boys. Talk about a black eye to our sport.
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:26 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:57 pm
martinsilvestri wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Oh come on. I remember 20 years ago when the asleep, like Dale Anderson, said Girls/Women's would never catch on. Too bad that he wasn't awake enough to catch his boss, Hastert diddling Jr High Boys. Talk about a black eye to our sport.
Uhh.. okay... where did anyone say anything bad about girl's wrestling "catching on"? You actually think it's a good thing that these students aren't allowed to start a men's wrestlng program if they can't simultaneously provide a girl's team? That's what I said is an obvious problem - not the existence of women's wrestling if a school chooses to have that sport. Are you not able to understand the difference? I think women's wrestling is great for those who are interested in it. I get the feeling that you're just looking for a fight.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:52 pm

Here is a reasonable article on Girls HS Wrestling.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/girls-fallin ... 27820.html

But Don't stop at the article. Read the comments. About 30-40%, by my estimation, are not woke
Last edited by Richb-3 on Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:58 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:52 pm Here is a reasonable article on Girls HS Wrestling.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sports/wwe-w ... 43767.html

But Don't stop at the article. Read the comments. About 30-40%, by my estimation, are not woke
You provided an article about WWE wrestlemania. But it doesn't matter. If you think you've found an arguing partner about girl's wrestling you're mistaken. I have nothing against it. I just don't support a policy which says you can't have men's wrestling without also having women's wrestling, or mandating it receive equal resources, etc. If that requirement prevents these Dartmouth kids from starting a club, or kneecaps a more established men's wrestling program, I'm against that. But you're entitled to your opinion.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:30 pm

Here is the actual article.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/girls-fallin ... 27820.html

Again The people Who were posting all the stuff about trans girls taking girls places hate wokeness also hate wrestling. Simple. Just look at the BS the Fallwells put the wrestlers at liberty. Just see the clown who posted about a 6' 3" guy wrestling a 4' 10" girl. No knowledge on the subject, just hate.

If Dartmouth has 20-30 guys who want to wrestle, they likely have 4-6 girls who want to wrestle, 4-6 is enough for a club. If the guys really want a club team or a Varsity team Female wrestling will help help the quest. Maybe 20 years ago some guys wanted a wrestling program, and an AD just did not want the sport. So he used no female wrestling as an excuse. Now that excuse is gone.
HFO

Post by HFO » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:20 pm

Apparently Title IX is non-existent anymore. Just offer the wrestling team or the wrestling club or wrestling program.