NCAA Awards

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
jdalu75

NCAA Awards

Post by jdalu75 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:27 am

Just updated --

NCAA updates Division I award standings after conference tournaments

INDIANAPOLIS — The NCAA has released updated standings for the 2024 NCAA Wrestling Awards that will be awarded on March 23 at the conclusion of the Division I Wrestling Championships.

The inaugural NCAA Wrestling Awards were presented at the 2012 wrestling championships. The three awards, given in each division, honor the Most Dominant Wrestler as well as the student-athletes that have accumulated the most falls and the most technical falls throughout the course of the regular and postseasons.

For results to be counted for the awards they must come against opponents in the same division (i.e. Division II vs. Division II). Ties in the falls and tech falls categories are broken based on the aggregate time.

The Most Dominant Wrestler standings are calculated by adding the total number of team points awarded through match results and dividing that number by the total number of matches wrestled. Wrestlers need a minimum of 17 matches and must qualify for the national tournament to win the award. Points per match are awarded as follows.

* Fall, forfeit, injury default or DQ = 6 points (-6 points for a loss)
* Tech falls = 5 points (-5 points for a loss)
* Major decision = 4 points (-4 points for a loss)
* Decision = 3 points (-3 points for a loss)

After a runner-up finish in the Big 12 Conference over the weekend, heavyweight Wyatt Hendrickson of Air Force leads in the standings for Most Dominant Wrestler with 5.05 team points per match, in addition to leading Division I with 15 falls in 23:08. Penn State’s Aaron Brooks is second with 4.94 average team points while Trent Hidlay of NC State is third with an average of 4.83. Two-time national champion, Keegan O’Toole of Missouri rounds out the top four with an average of 4.68.

Kelvin Griffin of Lehigh is tied with Hendrickson in total falls with 15 this season in a time of 44:59. Two wrestlers head to Kansas City with 13 falls in Ohio State’s Ryder Rogotzke and Campbell’s Levi Hopkins.

Lock Haven’s Wyatt Henson and Lehigh’s Michael Beard are tied with 16 tech falls. Henson currently leads with a time of 64:17.

jdalu75

Re: NCAA Awards

Post by jdalu75 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:27 am

With 15 falls, Griffin is one behind Mark Lieberman (1979) for most falls by a Lehigh wrestler in a single season. Mark did it in 21 bouts, so he'll have a higher WBF percentage than Griffin will.
Richb-3

Re: NCAA Awards

Post by Richb-3 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:59 am

And Mark L had walking Pneumonia for a majority of his falls.