Week-End Salvo

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
HFO

Re: Week-End Salvo

Post by HFO » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:08 pm

ikeremix wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:28 pm
Spladle1989 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:57 pm I think Hines would have to cut off a leg to make 133 at this point.....

Prime example of why Stanich had to take his shot at 125 this year, once you move up in weights you are not always guaranteed the same success..........not saying he will or he won't but there are no guarantees......what worked for you at one weight won't necessarily at another (i.e. McGonagle)....
From a podcast last week - Willie Saylor said he's heard the current plan is to RS Stanich next year and bring him back at 141. Willie is generally plugged in, especially at Lehigh w/ his local ties.
Sounds about right. The poor guy probably hasn't ate 2 full meals in a day in 3 years. He has been in the 120 to 125 range now since his junior year of high school. Seems to be someone with enough height and base skills to make the jump up just like Esposito when he went from 134 to 149. Stanich will have 3 years to adjust, but I would think he holds 141 for the duration of his college years. They are still quick, a little longer and a lot stronger at 141 to 125. Which makes the progression of Carter Bailey impressive this year.

Will be interesting to see what current freshman are capable of when they come back next year. There were some very elite high schoolers who either were injured or did not wrestle much in their redshirt freshman year.

HFO

Post by HFO » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:14 pm

Oracle wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:52 pm It's become rather obvious Luke Stanich will not return to 125 next year. But let's say, just for the sake of discussion, he were to win the title at 125 this year. Do you defer a returning NCAA champ? He's seeded to make the finals, so it could very well happen.

Deferring him to return in '26 at 141 means Ryan makes 133 and that's his weight for the duration. And either Bailey or Reinsel compete at 141 next year....assuming Griffin stays up.

As a consummate LU fan, I'm saying Kelvin 'The Maine Mauler' Griffin will be in the 7/8 placement bout this year.

In fact, I am completely bullish on Lehigh turning heads in Kansas City.

mookie can stay in his basement and watch Biden campaign rally re-runs -- we will watch *every* Lehigh bout!!!!
I would say if both Stanich and Crookham are both All American, you do not redshirt Stanich and then wrestle them off and the loser goes up to 141. So they both certify at 133 and loser goes up to 141. This then forces Hines to hold the spot and beat Bailey, Crookham or Stanich or anyone else who might emerge. The team depth is good that once again, redshirts must be used if you lose, and existing varsity are not guaranteed to hold their spots.

For sure 125-149 next year will be as impressive of a first 4 in all of NCAA and the Final 2 at 197/285 could be the best in NCAA.

Will be some tough calls, but it is hard to sit an All American.
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:53 am

HFO wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:14 pm I would say if both Stanich and Crookham are both All American, you do not redshirt Stanich and then wrestle them off and the loser goes up to 141. So they both certify at 133 and loser goes up to 141.
That would certainly make the B&W a little more interesting next year! ;)