EIWA Sessions 1 Results Re-Cap

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

EIWA Sessions 1 Results Re-Cap

Post by Oracle » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:14 pm

A total of 25 wrestlers advanced to Round 2 tonight at 7 pm.
125 = 3
133 = 3
141 = 1
149 = 1
157 = 1
165 = 3
174 = 3
184 = 3
197 = 3
285 = 4

Guaranteed to lose one at 174, as Wolak/Incontrera match-up.

So out of 61 (Cornella scratch) slots, 25 advance = 41%. I'm not taking the time to calculate every conference, but I'd say it's a decent showing so far. R2 will either make or break this tournament for the EIWA and for Lehigh. IMO.

A few thoughts:
* The SoCon has some tough wrestlers. Their best guys scrap and are dangerous -- as they have proven in R1.
* Iowa is sucking air. We hear a lot of Yada yada yada from coach Brands. Maybe time for a change,
* Columbia is becoming the darling of the media. If their 2 guys win tonight, we'll hear a lot more.
* The EIWA is a tough conference this year evidenced by Conway taking down Foca (maybe hurt) great finish!
* Watching the ESPN+ 8-mat screen is pretty cool.

Spladle1989

Re: EIWA Sessions 1 Results Re-Cap

Post by Spladle1989 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:22 pm

Seemed like it was more than a coincidence that there was a lot of eiwa vs eiwa violence in the round of 32…..

I mean is it just me or did it seem like there was an inordinate amount of eiwa vs eiwa matchups?
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:43 pm

125: Brett Ungar v. Dean Peterson (Rutgers)
133: Vito Arujau v. Gable Strickland (LHU)
149: Ethan Fernandez v. Caleb Tyus (SIUE)
157: Meyer Shapiro v. Colton Washleski (Rider)
165: Julian Ramirez v. Nick Hamilton (Virginia)
174: Benny Baker v. Lennox Wolak (Columbia)
184: Chris Foca v. James Conway (F&M)
197: Jacob Cardenas v. Jack Wehmeyer (Columbia)
285: Lewis Fernandes v. David Szuba (Rider)

Cornell's R1 matchups. Not 1 power program on the list and lotsa Columbia/Rider

Foca, for whatever reason, is not the same Foca. Blew a 4-0 3rd period lead.
The Kid

Post by The Kid » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:46 pm

Rider is MAC not EIWA.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:56 pm

Stanich will be tested. Smith won on a controversial call regarding a whistle from another mat that he reacted to.

Crookham will be tractored around the ring in iowa style and his tendency to launch his offense while backing up will need to happen early in the match. The "blind" American kid pushed him all over the place and these refs call stalling in a bout 5 seconds. Get to the offense early.

Hines with a good chance to win 2 from here but start wrestling before you're down 4-0. Drives me mad with the 16 headgear replacements and job is always left late.

Griffin gets Rutgers and its winnable but they (and everyone else) will know all about his leg game. Never seen a guy so comfortable riding as high as he does. I mean he is sometimes hanging so far over guy's head its ridiculous. Anyway great experience for the young man and he has developed extremely well in year 1.

Max has some tough hombres ahead but I am expecting him to roll into the blood round. Slow start cost him today. that and the TD by Blockhus in 1st period short time. My neighbors heard me yell and thought it was another kidney stone.

Logan. Welp.

Beard gets the 20 seed and then probably Cardenas again. Just thought Beard did not look like Beard at EIWAs. Something bothering him there? Obv he and Cardenas know each other well. I expect Micheal makes it 3-0 against him this yr and makes his AA in the championship bracket.

Taylor ran into a different style today but despite a little bit of an uneven match for him. he has that stalling Doucet from OkSt tonite who i feel like went into OT in the dual or he won it late. Fire that double leg! He had two epic mat returns on the CalPoly kid that may have registered on the richter scale. becoming a trademark.
Then its the big ASU kid that beat Jordan Wood a couple years ago in the quarters. nate lost a 1 pointer to him last time they met. Should be a battle.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:57 pm

The Kid wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:46 pm Rider is MAC not EIWA.
yes son I am aware. i was not responding to the EIWA/EIWA post merely pointing out that Cornell had a sweet draw.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:01 pm

You had at a minimum:

Day vs Greiss
Crookham vs Leethe
Koderhandt vs Composto
Wolak vs Baker
Foca vs Conway
Cardenas vs Wehmeyer
Ayzerov vs Nolan

And as to Oracles point I agree its time for the Brands to go from Iowa, has become a circus and not a great one at this point either…….the bring in anyone to try to stay relevant, combined with their coaching antics is embarrassing……
The Kid

Post by The Kid » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:12 pm

I guess I need to slow down my reading and get it all ... too amped up. I agree about these slow starts ... its costing big time. I was saying the same thing during the Taylor match, "Shoot the Double!"

It's like the lottery, you've got to play to win.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:33 pm

>>>>>>> A few short months ago I was roundly chastised on this board for being critical of Brands.

Good to see some posters are changing their tune . I’ll know the jig is up fro Brands when mookster comes on board.
Asa Packer

Post by Asa Packer » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:25 pm

I have 37 EIWA guys still alive, including 9 in QF. Watching progression thru double consies both Fri am and pm is always interesting/exciting.