Freestyle season

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Freestyle season

Post by Oracle » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:56 pm

Over-all most of us consider this past year successful. Maybe not with regard to seeding positions but certainly based on preseason projections.

If Stanich defers, he obviously won’t be ranked preseason.
Crookham will be pre-season #1
Beard #4
Taylor#5
The rest are not relevant to rankings. Not that they won’t contribute points but none are podium threats at this point in time.

Cornell placed 2nd with this configuration. I’m bullish on Beard. He was not at Brooks or Hidlay levels but he can compete with all the others to win it all. He made strides this year and needs to stay healthy for his final year.

In my view, Crookham will have to open up more to maintain the gap because guys like Nasir Bailey will also improve. Still, I like his chances.

Taylor is ready to stand on the podium. How high is the question. Two finalists and a 4th and Lehigh is in the trophy hunt. Cornell proved it can be done.

Figuring out 141 thru 184 should be interesting. There is some deferred talent coming on line and there are some true frosh that may affect the balance of power. Like someone posted - maybe HFO - no spot is safe. This years starters may not start next year. Get the best guys on the mat. If it’s a true frosh no problem. Defer him later if need be.

So what does all this have to do with freestyle season?

Nothing.

Maybe enter Stanich at 143 and see what happens.

martinsilvestri

Re: Freestyle season

Post by martinsilvestri » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:13 pm

In Crookham's post-nationals interview he said he plans to compete this summer. I don't find the idea particularly exciting with his injury history and can't imagine the coaching staff does either what with the beloved "bubble wrap" approach mid-season. But obviously he had something in mind when he said it. He hasn't popped up in the last chance olympic qualifier or anything like that, but I don't know what other options there are for the summer.
HFO

Post by HFO » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:01 am

martinsilvestri wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:13 pm In Crookham's post-nationals interview he said he plans to compete this summer. I don't find the idea particularly exciting with his injury history and can't imagine the coaching staff does either what with the beloved "bubble wrap" approach mid-season. But obviously he had something in mind when he said it. He hasn't popped up in the last chance olympic qualifier or anything like that, but I don't know what other options there are for the summer.
Not much happening this summer in wrestling other than Olympics. As you said, there are more high school students at Olympic Qualifier than Lehigh wrestlers. I suppose there could be USA Wrestling age group wrestling for Crookham just to get some competitive bouts in. Seems to me there is not much upside and huge downside if he gets injured. Probably just to train with LVWC resident athletes and not much more.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:40 am

Knowing nothing about him, I could see Nasir being up a weight next season. Taller and well built.
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:22 pm

martinsilvestri wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:13 pm In Crookham's post-nationals interview he said he plans to compete this summer. I don't find the idea particularly exciting with his injury history and can't imagine the coaching staff does either what with the beloved "bubble wrap" approach mid-season. But obviously he had something in mind when he said it. He hasn't popped up in the last chance olympic qualifier or anything like that, but I don't know what other options there are for the summer.
Personally I see NO need for him to compete this Summer, probably just LIP service. Lift, and work some Summer clinics/camps. 8-)
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:06 am

Oracle wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:56 pm
Crookham will be pre-season #1
Beard #4
Taylor#5

Cornell placed 2nd with this configuration. I’m bullish on Beard. He was not at Brooks or Hidlay levels but he can compete with all the others to win it all. He made strides this year and needs to stay healthy for his final year.

Taylor is ready to stand on the podium. How high is the question. Two finalists and a 4th and Lehigh is in the trophy hunt. Cornell proved it can be done.
That's not how Cornell "did it." Cornell did it by having a few transcendental talents (Arujau and Shapiro) who, by themselves, outscored (with 45) the entire Lehigh team (with 36.5) ...by a lot. Cornell, as a team, had more than half as many team point as Lehigh...in bonus points alone (with 19.5). The third highest scorer for Cornell (Cardenas with 15.5) outscored the highest scorer on Lehigh (Crookham with 13.5); in fact, Shapiro and Cardenas alone matched Lehigh's team total. Eight of the nine Cornell wrestlers scored points; I don't need to point out what Lehigh's wrestlers did in that respect. This all with Ramirez flaming out and Foca struggling at times.

Michigan got the final trophy because they had three outstanding guys who all outscored everyone on Lehigh's team, and four guys with double-digit point totals.

Iowa State got lots of points from everyone, plus four AAs.

Iowa had three guys outscoring everyone on Lehigh.

Beard was seeded 4th and took 8th; in 2023, he was seeded 5th and made R12. Taylor was seeded 5th and went 2-2. You think that bodes well for their future podium successes?

Stanich and Crookham are likely 4x AAs barring injury, so you have that going for you. Assuming Crookham figures out how to actually score points in the NCAA tournament: scoring four points or fewer in five of his six matches? Judging by this tournament, I give Stanich a higher ceiling.

The portal ain't gonna do it for Lehigh. What will certainly help is figuring out how not to have goose eggs across the board come NCAAs. Flo's pre-NCAA rankings (based on rankings of individual wrestlers) had Lehigh at 56 (ahead of Michigan!): they scored 36.5. They had Cornell at 57.5: they scored 71.5.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:37 am

Nobody likes a bragger. Was there a need to post this other than to rub others' noses in it?
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:21 pm

Oracle wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:37 am Nobody likes a bragger. Was there a need to post this other than to rub others' noses in it?
Was it bragging to include what the other top teams did?

The *only* point was to correct your view of how a team achieves success at the NCAA tournament. Take it or leave it.
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:29 pm

Oracle wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:37 am Nobody likes a bragger. Was there a need to post this other than to rub others' noses in it?
I see nothing that is inaccurate in his statement. We probably don't like to hear it but we can learn from it.

Truth is we do have a solid basis of 4 guys but they all have to wrestle up to or over their potential to take us where we want to go. We all know the middle of the lineup produced nothing and that too needs to change, perhaps not by leaps and bounds but certainly in a positive direction.

This was an intriguing season. The mood started in a very bad place, then soared to perhaps unreasonable expectations and settled where it did. Next year, the bar will be raised higher to start and we will see where the new over-performers will come from.
Asa Packer

Post by Asa Packer » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:04 pm

Jan 13, 2024: #23 Lehigh 17, #9 Cornell (SUNY-Ithaca) 16
Certainly a positive on the season.