Virginia law on NIL

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
JAD77

Virginia law on NIL

Post by JAD77 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:45 am

This will really change things:

Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin signed an NIL bill into law on Thursday that could significantly change the college sports landscape.

Effective July 1, schools in Virginia can directly pay student-athletes for Name, Image, and Likeness. The law that Youngkin signed on Thursday made it illegal for the NCAA to punish a school for compensating athletes for their NIL rights.

Richb-3

Re: Virginia law on NIL

Post by Richb-3 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:21 am

First big example I saw of NIL was M+F UVa BktBall players advertising the Good Feet Store, which I had never heard of before.
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:45 pm

I had never thought of this is a states rights issue. Who knew?

It appears that a Pandora's Box has been opened up by the Supreme Court that will drag us back to the Articles of Confederation.
HFO

Post by HFO » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:16 pm

Justafan wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:45 pm I had never thought of this is a states rights issue. Who knew?

It appears that a Pandora's Box has been opened up by the Supreme Court that will drag us back to the Articles of Confederation.
Nothing new since Federalist Papers. States have every right to govern within their borders. We are a constitutional Republic.

Decision is in alignment to the SCOTUS decision that student athletes have economic rights. This issues is essentially dead for NCAA. That cannot regulate it.