Columbia Head Coach Opening

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Justafan

Re: Columbia Head Coach Opening

Post by Justafan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:32 pm

Oracle wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:33 pm
Mountain Hawk wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:22 pm
Justafan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:59 pm Please just stop
Had you pegged as somehow part of the admin from the beginning. Truth hurts. Whole world watching our "most elite institutions" reveal themselves.

>>>>>>>> Justafan a tad sensitive to common sense remedies. The lack of these obvious remedies is why this behavior is out of control. IMO. Or should I say "I'm thinking out of the box?"
LOL...not at all. I just believe that I , like many others come to this forum to discuss Lehigh sports and to escape from the nastiness of political and ideological differences. These threads have a tendency to break down very easily. I asked nicely to stop.

Oracle

Post by Oracle » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:18 pm

Hey, you couldn't be more right about threads breaking down easily -- sometimes there's not even one wrestling reply before someone dives into where to get the best cheese steaks.

BTW, asking nicely doesn't work either.

If you're a Lehigh grad, what year?
HFO

Post by HFO » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:23 pm

Justafan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:32 pm
Oracle wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:33 pm
Mountain Hawk wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:22 pm

Had you pegged as somehow part of the admin from the beginning. Truth hurts. Whole world watching our "most elite institutions" reveal themselves.

>>>>>>>> Justafan a tad sensitive to common sense remedies. The lack of these obvious remedies is why this behavior is out of control. IMO. Or should I say "I'm thinking out of the box?"
LOL...not at all. I just believe that I , like many others come to this forum to discuss Lehigh sports and to escape from the nastiness of political and ideological differences. These threads have a tendency to break down very easily. I asked nicely to stop.
In the words of Jay Cutler, "Don't care." bye bye
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:26 pm

Not much relevant wrestling to discuss these days unless it turns out that LU lands Parco or Bear Claw or comparable. Didn't somebody imply on this forum a couple days ago that something was in the works vis-a-vis the Portal?

And as to cheesesteaks, Mercantino Italiano in Quakertown, which connoisseurs consider one of the best places in the area for a steak, are supposed to be opening at a location on Third Street soon.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:33 pm

There it is.......thank you whiz
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:36 pm

During the Governance Strike wrestlers Steve Shields and Dave Waters prevented two drunks from starting breaking things. Which of course been really stupid since the Faculty and Administration were amenable to the discussions. The board and older alumni were a bit of a problem
HFO

Post by HFO » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:21 pm

whiz wit wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:28 pm I'd also put Northwestern significantly ahead of Notre Dame.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/ra ... tance-rate
Acceptance rate not truly the best metric of the students admitted. The upper range of SAT is in terms of capability and freshmen year success consisted with College Board when they devised SAT.

Being popular floods the applicant pool and then when you are a small or midsize university, your acceptance rate will decline, if and only if your YIELD is HIGH.

Chicago, Northwestern are more comprehensive with Medical Schools and Hospital Systems. A whole different animal in academia.

The Top 20 Universities With Alumni At Fortune 500 Companies. No Chicago, No Northwestern, No Notre Dame. https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltni ... 5cb88d2c35

University of Phoenix had 15,924 alumni working at these companies, which include the likes of Walmart, Amazon, Apple, CVS Health, Microsoft, Verizon and AT&T.
University of Washington, 14,264 alumni
University of Mumbai, 5,801
Georgia Institute of Technology, 5,292
Stanford University, 4,639
University of California, Berkeley, 4,302
University of Southern California, 4,213
University of Texas, 3,938
Arizona State University, 3,820
Cornell University, 3,680
Pennsylvania State University, 3,214
Strayer University, 3,025
University of Arkansas, 2,845
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2,692
San Jose State University, 2,661
Northeastern University, 2,302
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 2,251
Harvard University, 2,220
Purdue University, 2,195
University of Pennsylvania (Wharton School), 2,022

WSJ a bit date, 2010.
The Top 25 Recruiter Picks
https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424 ... 3989873060

Notre Dame #22, No Chicago, No Northwestern. Employer go with depth of education, large enough numbers for yield they need, realistic expectations of what they are worth out of college or graduate school.
Top 10
Penn State
Texas A&M
Illinois-UC
Purdue
Arizona State
Michigan
GA Tech
Maryland
Florida
Carnegie-Mellon

I have taken a course from U of Chicago. It is a great in some many areas. Northwestern is no Chicago. It is a great place for an undergraduate education, has some highly competitive grad programs. Notre Dame principally is much like Lehigh strategically. It is primarily an undergraduate elite private residential university, which has very solid MBA and Law School, does economics and some other areas very well at graduate level.

Notre Dame has assets too. #11 NACUBO Endowment Study. 2023 $16.6 billion. #15 FTE per student $1.287 million.
Northwestern $13.7 billion. FTE per student $660,000 per student.
Chicago $9.9 billion. FTE per student $533,000 per student.

Yep, Notre Dame is in elite company. With that level of funding per student, the future looks bright.

Lehigh $1.7 billion. FTE per student $255,000. We are in same range per student as Carnegie Mellon, but nowhere near the prestige of Carnegie Mellon. Lehigh as I have said over and over has dropped like a rock over the past 20 years. It needs a full scale house cleansing at the Board Level. The Board is too passive and not engaging in the requisite oversight and input in true competitive strategic planning. The composition of the Board has favored only those who contribute the most. It is not reflective of the entire Lehigh community, Lehigh Valley community and necessary input from industry and the professions. It became myopic in thinking and near homogenous of NY/NJ liberal lawyers, real estate finance. It has not served the comprehensive interests of the corpus.

Anyway, my input, take what is useful, ignore to your peril what you want. There have been other periods of Lehigh of weak Presidents and do nothing boards. Then every 40 years or so, a true leader emerges and elevates Lehigh. It will happen again. Right now, is not that time.

Not happy that Lehigh is on list of government DOE investigations. Does not bring honor upon the institution due to weak leadership and responses by Helble. On we go.

I know a number of our posters have input into hiring. I had input into hiring and careers at residency and in orthopedics. Like many, there is something interesting about the guy or gal who emerges out of a huge Big 10 school and has well developed Midwest personality of a day's work, best effort. Being at a behemoth program with 500 seat auditoriums and recitations and little to no access to a professor and excelling is quite a feat. Those who emerge at the Top are as ready to go in any profession that I have ever come across. They are elites, well grounded and ready. I have also hired from the Ivy. Well schooled, not as ready for the work environment, coddled, complainers on average, entitled, they make it through, but their first year is harder until they adapt and eliminate personal desires and do what the residency program requires. I would take 10 Big 10 grads over 2 Ivy League any day, but I was only one vote into the program.

Anyway, if you are in Top 100, you are pretty elite given that globally there are about 25,000 colleges and universities. Lehigh is good. It is not great. It could be better. For sure Notre Dame is elite. It will get better. It will get even more prestigious.
George Porgie

Post by George Porgie » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:53 pm

Mountain Hawk wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:52 pm Counting all the grad students Columbia has about 37k students. 13k of them here on some form of foreign visa. 6500 are Chinese nationals in the grad school.
Mass expulsions, pull the visas for foreigners involved and send them home.

Honestly the entire silo of academia is deeply infected with radicalized Marxists - professors certainly included.
I'm sorry my friend. That couldn't be further from the truth. The colleges have been taken over by the bean counters. Oh yes and an administration that is petrified of law suits.
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:00 pm

"If you're a Lehigh grad, what year?"

1975 and 1979

You would think that cheesesteaks would have it's own thread by now :-)
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:07 pm

University of Phoenix?
Strayer University?

LOL?