Lehigh @ US Open

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
FloridaGuy

Lehigh @ US Open

Post by FloridaGuy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:48 am

>>>>>>>The U20 US Open underway in Vegas includes a few Lehigh recruits.

Skellenger placed 3rd @ Greco 72 kg ———brackets/matches are on Flo. I’m not a fan of Greco, but Skellenger had some nice throws in his 6 matches and his win for 3rd vs a good Mich frosh had some quality action.

Skellenger and Van Hoven are included in FLo’s preview for the freestyle 70kg, which is scheduled for Fri, along with a host of quality hs and college guys.

Federici is included in the 79kg preview.

Lehigh wrestlers competed in this tournament in past years, ( I think Taylor last year) , but none were mentioned in this year’s preview.

Oracle

Re: Lehigh @ US Open

Post by Oracle » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:56 am

Hopefully, Skellenger comes in and adds something to the LU room.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:27 am

Last year Skellinger won his event easily. Or was it under 17? In any case he was seeded #1. Trying to view that match, it kept ending for me, with less than 2 minutes gone.

In any case, even if he has, maybe D Craig level success at Folkstyle, having a formidable Greco guy certainly adds to our programs prestige.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:44 am

>>>>>>>I like seeing recruits like Van Hoven or Skellenger, who are not from the prime wrestling states, make the commitments to wrestle in the high level regional and national tournaments. In other words—- guys who love to wrestle and compete against the best.

I am somewhat surprised, however, to see no mention of Lehigh’s younger guys at this high level national tournament.

Does it conflict with exams or wrestlers/coaches avoiding Vegas for some reason?

Seems to me the tournament is a target rich recruiting event for our coaches with the level of talent in int U17 and U20 brackets.
HFO

Post by HFO » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:09 pm

Yes, passion for competition and succeeding is a good correlation for future collegiate success.
As for not a single Lehigh entrant, despite LVWC, not a good sign. Yes, it is crunch time academically with papers, projects and exams coming up, but deals have always been worked out with Professors for extensions or at least it used to be when Lehigh was an even more competitive academic institution than it is now.

Again, room for improvement still exists with AD, Pat and team, and external resources like LVWC. We for sure are not Penn State/NLWC which obviously had been firing on all pistons this cycle of NCAA and Olympic Trials. Pat closes the gap when he manages these small gaps in the program. NIL, off-season competition in freestyle, special class admissions, etc. LVWC needs better athletes to be more of a magnet and indirectly through training sessions with Lehigh wresters improve Lehigh Wrestling. We have structures, just not optimal performance, participation, assessment and achievements. Room to grow still even for a 58 years old professional. At 58, I was only about half way through my career until retiring in my early 80s. Always room for professional and administrative performance improvement.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:51 pm

Skellenger got pinned in his first bout. Van Hoven lost his second bout. Federici won easily twice.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:27 am

Federici got tf'd in the round of 16 by Mulvaney of Bucknell, who had a a very good year as a true freshman albeit losing by a couple one pointers to Jake Logan.
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:08 am

Thanks for the updates. Im encouraged about Federici's upside after watching him this year.
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:45 pm

I'm not big on results/winning in the OFF season,. but more impressed with the EFFORT to get better, bigger, and stronger,.. which translates to positive ATTITUDE! :roll: