Building on Success

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
HFO

Re: Building on Success

Post by HFO » Sun May 05, 2024 10:57 pm

LUEngineer wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:49 pm Best option is prepare Hines to bulk up for 149 & let Stanich jump into 141 next year assuming he can beat Bailey.

Bragnola likely to redshirt so 157 could be a 1 year need. Any of your 1 year grad AS potentials fit there.

No need to bring in a 141 transfer as we are loaded at that weight.
It does if it is Alirez and you have two options. Alirez goes 141 and Stanich redshirts or ready to go if any injury at 133 or 141. Certify him at 133.

If Alirez goes 149, then Stanich in the lineup at 141.

Then you have 3 previous All-Americans in a row: 3rd, NCAA Champion, 5th

If no Alirez, then I agree, it makes no sense.

At 149, I would go after Parco, if he has any interest in Lehigh. High probability of points at NCAA, helps to improve the younger wrestlers at 149 who then can battle for spot the following year. If no Parco, I lean Griffin, but he potentially could be beat out. The learning curve is high on these younger wrestlers. They can close the gaps on each other quickly.

157 nobody good enough left. Max goes and a rare 4 years in a row from true freshman to true senior. If he had 7 years, he likely would have kept on improving.

1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Mon May 06, 2024 12:31 pm

"Hope springs eternal in the human breast; Man never Is, but always To be blest. The soul, uneasy, and confin'd from home, Rests and expatiates in a life to come"....Alexander Pope

Nice touch LUEngineer/HFO with the reminiscience of the GLORY-DAYS via Caruso - Peritore - Stuart! My alma-mater, Washington H.S. wrestled against St. Benidicts back in the early '60's, and my first glimpse of Mike. He beats our returning NJ State Champ Kenny Carswell, 4-0, in what I thought a very respectable match, and I pinned his brother Fred as we upset the BEES on a foggy night in Newark. I soon became a FAN of Lehigh, and Caruso in particular in the years following. Have spoken to Mike on occasion at matches, and he's SHARP,..remembering in detail their match with the Blue-Streaks that night. 8-)

Would love to see Lehigh compliment our 4-HORSEMEN by picking up a few stellar Free-Agents, but consider it a long-shot compared to what other schools might offer. But ya never know.. :roll:
HFO

Post by HFO » Mon May 06, 2024 2:04 pm

1/2NELSON wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:31 pm "Hope springs eternal in the human breast; Man never Is, but always To be blest. The soul, uneasy, and confin'd from home, Rests and expatiates in a life to come"....Alexander Pope

Nice touch LUEngineer/HFO with the reminiscience of the GLORY-DAYS via Caruso - Peritore - Stuart! My alma-mater, Washington H.S. wrestled against St. Benidicts back in the early '60's, and my first glimpse of Mike. He beats our returning NJ State Champ Kenny Carswell, 4-0, in what I thought a very respectable match, and I pinned his brother Fred as we upset the BEES on a foggy night in Newark. I soon became a FAN of Lehigh, and Caruso in particular in the years following. Have spoken to Mike on occasion at matches, and he's SHARP,..remembering in detail their match with the Blue-Streaks that night. 8-)

Would love to see Lehigh compliment our 4-HORSEMEN by picking up a few stellar Free-Agents, but consider it a long-shot compared to what other schools might offer. But ya never know.. :roll:
Hope is not a strategy. Action is. As my grandmother would say, "MORE DO, less talk!" in her thick Pennsylvania Deutsch accent. The other was "Shit or get off the pot!" Either we have a university, AD, coaches of action, or we do not. The competitive landscape for good or bad has changed.

Strategically, I think the route of Grad transfers is palatable to the administration and easier to implement. Lehigh has a call out to Lehigh alum to enroll in School of Business programs because they are not getting enough students to maintain the operating costs of individual programs. While undergrad is getting enough applicants, it is very easy to admit a graduate student to Lehigh, if there is a program that a wrestler is interested in. While I would stretch to a NCAA qualifier and a rank of 33 when we have nobody below 50 for a weightclass, I would have no problem if they say we will only go after a grad transfer who has degree in hand, is a R12 NCAA and is admitted through normal graduate admission process.

Not going after available talent in any industry is just plain stupid. In orthopedic surgery, we would poach the guys who were getting the all the operating room time to our practice. We aren't going to allow them to take market share. It is the same in wrestling, either you go after the "guys" or to your peril somebody else will.

So if it takes getting to this NIL endowment pool getting to $20 million to distribute 5% of the money each year, then so be it, we have to get there sooner than later to other institutions. It isn't like we don't have alumni with the ability to do it. You have to sell it why it is important to Lehigh.

It is important to Lehigh because it is likely the only sport to consistently deliver National Champions and All Americans.

Also, shout out to Lehigh Lacrosse. I watched 4Q comeback on 3 goals on man down. As I used to have a home on Lake Skaneateles, I am very familiar with the people and tribal lands of the Onondaga Tribe and their invention of what is lacrosse and the lacrosse stick. In fact, I used to buy original Alfie Jacques, the famed maker of the Tribe, when I would see them at flea markets in Central New York.
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie » Mon May 06, 2024 3:14 pm

Alirez? Why is there talk of Alirez coming to Lehigh? Is this just fantasy? Or is there any real shot of this happening?

I'm a fan of aiming high, but seems like our reach is a little beyond our grasp on this one.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon May 06, 2024 6:54 pm

FloridaGuy wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:40 pm >>>>>>> Lopes won the Beast of the East at 132 and Flo has him ranked #4 sr at that weight.
I stand corrected as to Lopes's weight class last season. But I wouldn't consider his tournament in December as "recent".
Last edited by whiz wit on Mon May 06, 2024 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Mon May 06, 2024 7:42 pm

Frenchie wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:14 pm Alirez? Why is there talk of Alirez coming to Lehigh? Is this just fantasy? Or is there any real shot of this happening?

I'm a fan of aiming high, but seems like our reach is a little beyond our grasp on this one.
Yeah this thread has turned into some kind of fantasy string. Have not seen Ricardo Montalban (rich Corinthian leather) or the little annoying Tattoo yet but they must be about to make an appearance.
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Mon May 06, 2024 8:33 pm

I agree so here is my reality.

Why Lehigh?
Very good academic reputation for those in the right fields.
State of the art wrestling facilities
Great coaches and a very good team chemistry.
Spots available for the taking between 149-184 for the right individuals
Great crowd atmosphere

So here are my realistic targets

Terrell Barraclough

Pluses
Big 10 Distinguished Scholar
Biomedical Engineering major which dovetails nicely with Lehigh's new state of the art biomedical engineering lab.
An instant spot open at 165 for someone who probably yearns to have a meaningful experience at the NCAA tournament.
Should be a fine training partner for our 157# and 174#
I think he is affordable

Negatives
None

He should be our top priority but he will probably not be without other suitors.

Rylan Rogers

Much like his namesake (Caden), Rylan seems to be a bit of an enigma so far.

Plusses

Big time reputation coming out of high school (Blair)
From the Michigan site...
• Graduated from Coeur d’Alene High School (2022)
• Captured two Idaho state titles at 195 pounds (2021, '22)
• Idaho recipient of the 2022 Dave Schultz High School Excellence Award
• Posted a career prep record of 115-6
• Also claimed the 2020 National Prep 182-pound title and two New Jersey prep state championships while at Blair Academy (2019-20)
• Captured individual titles at the prestigious Ironman (2019), Super 32 (2021) and Doc Buchanan (2022) tournaments
• Won a NHSCA Freshman National title in 2019
• Three-time Fargo All-American; two-time freestyle finalist (2019, '22)
• Ranked as the No. 13 overall recruit by FloWrestling and No. 4-ranked 195-pound wrestler

Like Beard, he was already heavily recruited by Lehigh
Still has 3 years of eligibility left
He is listed as a 184# wrestler at Michigan
Is probably very affordable at this point

Negatives

Like Caden, he has not transitioned well at Michigan and currently has a ranking of #39 by Wretlestat.
Again, like Caden is probably a more natural 197#

I like his upside and a change of scenery may just be what is needed.

I thin
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Mon May 06, 2024 9:12 pm

Some of ya are spending a BIT too much of your time at the local apothecarium dispensary by-the-looks of some of these threads! :lol:

DREAM-ON! :cry:
HFO

Post by HFO » Tue May 07, 2024 2:10 am

Lehigh is going to land a grad transfer this year. Wait for it!