Lehigh Admissions

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
HFO

Lehigh Admissions

Post by HFO » Mon May 06, 2024 1:52 pm

Women's wrestling got a shout out by admissions about her being on world team. So I guess you have to sell your special abilities in your essays.

Should be strategy of wrestlers applying. Note major injuries you overcame, family poverty of disfunction, financial hardships to train and compete through the years, and any learning disabilities. Still no official policy of Lehigh for "special class" admissions.

https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/?q ... 543#admsns

2022 Admissions
Applicants 15,163
Admitted 37% 5610 students
Enrolled 27% 1515 students

Yield = Admitted * Enrolled = 9.9%

2023 Admissions
Applicants 20,396
Admitted Assume 37%
Enrolled 1515 student 7.4% of applicants
You get yield of 20%.

As I noted, international student enrollment has increased dramatically over the past 20 years. In 2022, 298,000 enrolled.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-g ... n-40-years

Total Numbers of foreign students by country
https://www.statista.com/statistics/233 ... of-origin/
China dominates and then everyone else by smaller numbers. U.S. hosted more than 1 million foreign students, who accounted for about 5.6% of the total college population.

https://www.highereddive.com/news/inter ... es/699512/
Grad School 150,000 per year
Undergraduate 100,000 per year

Combined: China and India make up over 52% of total students. Followed by South Korea which is only 4% of the total and then Canada at 2%.

Lehigh will continue to get capable students. Having a few "special admissions" for elite athletes who have an 1150 SAT instead of 1300 is not the end of the world given the plethora of majors Lehigh now offers. You can major in Community Health in School of Health Population or Health, Medicine & Society in School of Arts and Science or Design or Theater.

Now it is up to the institution to deliver the goods in research, scholarship and teaching where it has been lackluster for the past 20 years.

martinsilvestri

Re: Lehigh Admissions

Post by martinsilvestri » Mon May 06, 2024 3:38 pm

Needless to say, all of the above is unhelpful to wrestling from a demographic standpoint. Any way to bulk up our Russian and Iranian student population? Perhaps nuclear engineering?
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Mon May 06, 2024 4:09 pm

HFO wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:52 pm Women's wrestling got a shout out by admissions about her being on world team. So I guess you have to sell your special abilities in your essays.

Should be strategy of wrestlers applying. Note major injuries you overcame, family poverty of disfunction, financial hardships to train and compete through the years, and any learning disabilities. Still no official policy of Lehigh for "special class" admissions.

https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/?q ... 543#admsns

2022 Admissions
Applicants 15,163
Admitted 37% 5610 students
Enrolled 27% 1515 students

Yield = Admitted * Enrolled = 9.9%

2023 Admissions
Applicants 20,396
Admitted Assume 37%
Enrolled 1515 student 7.4% of applicants
You get yield of 20%.

As I noted, international student enrollment has increased dramatically over the past 20 years. In 2022, 298,000 enrolled.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-g ... n-40-years

Total Numbers of foreign students by country
https://www.statista.com/statistics/233 ... of-origin/
China dominates and then everyone else by smaller numbers. U.S. hosted more than 1 million foreign students, who accounted for about 5.6% of the total college population.

https://www.highereddive.com/news/inter ... es/699512/
Grad School 150,000 per year
Undergraduate 100,000 per year

Combined: China and India make up over 52% of total students. Followed by South Korea which is only 4% of the total and then Canada at 2%.

Lehigh will continue to get capable students. Having a few "special admissions" for elite athletes who have an 1150 SAT instead of 1300 is not the end of the world given the plethora of majors Lehigh now offers. You can major in Community Health in School of Health Population or Health, Medicine & Society in School of Arts and Science or Design or Theater.

Now it is up to the institution to deliver the goods in research, scholarship and teaching where it has been lackluster for the past 20 years.
HFO,
Thanks for providing all this information.
Just a few small comments and 1 question

All the situations you mentioned should absolutely be put on the application essay. That essay has more weight than some might think.
There probably is no "stated exception" policy in Admissions. I wouldn't know but don't believe for a second that all athletes have 1300s on their SAT. Over the years, bars have been lowered to a degree because they have exceptional talent in other areas. Lehigh, like most other Universities are looking for people that can truly be successful in their future pursuits.
Bringing in foreign students is the surest way to increase our international visibility IMO and hence our world ranking that you alluded to on another post. Ironically, up until a couple of years ago, Iran was a real source of students. Of course, due to world events, neither Russia or Iran will be on our radar :-)

Question: why do you assume that the acceptance rate remained the same if the # of applicants went up by 1/3. I think, but am not sure that the acceptance rate is about 28% for the class beginning in 2023.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Tue May 07, 2024 12:06 pm

When a friend of mine was still teaching Mech Engineering, until about 3 years ago, he said there were a lot of Iranian Students, Need to see if we can find a way to get a couple of wrestlers in that group
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Mon May 13, 2024 4:56 pm

Justafan states,.."Lehigh will continue to get capable students. Having a few "special admissions" for elite athletes who have an 1150 SAT instead of 1300 is not the end of the world given the plethora of majors Lehigh now offers. You can major in Community Health in School of Health Population or Health, Medicine & Society in School of Arts and Science or Design or Theater."

I've often heard Lehigh allows a few POLE-FAULTERS that don't quite clear the bar onto the Campus! :roll:

WTF,..52% CHINESE/iNDIAN :shock:

Don't SELL the Health-Care field short if the St. Lukes expansion in the Lehigh Valley is any indication! :o
IMO the FIELD is/has been booming, altough entry ($$) level scale probably leaves alot to be desired! :oops:
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Mon May 13, 2024 8:35 pm

The only reason Lehigh takes all these Chinese and Indian students is because almost every one of them is full pay. Gotta pay all that admin.
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Mon May 13, 2024 10:10 pm

1/2NELSON wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:56 pm Justafan states,.."Lehigh will continue to get capable students. Having a few "special admissions" for elite athletes who have an 1150 SAT instead of 1300 is not the end of the world given the plethora of majors Lehigh now offers. You can major in Community Health in School of Health Population or Health, Medicine & Society in School of Arts and Science or Design or Theater."

I've often heard Lehigh allows a few POLE-FAULTERS that don't quite clear the bar onto the Campus! :roll:

Don't SELL the Health-Care field short if the St. Lukes expansion in the Lehigh Valley is any indication! :o
IMO the FIELD is/has been booming, altough entry ($$) level scale probably leaves alot to be desired! :oops:
Just to be clear, all those stats were provided by HFO, not me, Giving credit where credit is due. However, he may have mistyped or misinterpreted one line. China/India make up 52% of all foreign students...not all students. That shouldn't be a shock to anyone. Those 2 countries make up about 40% of the world's population. and the economic areas of China has positioned itself according to Programme For International Assessment as the producing the top students in math, science and reading in the world. The US is #38, #19 and #13 respectively.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programme ... Assessment

If a college wants to increase their academic reputation and their world presence, they need to bring in the best and brightest students in the world.

As for the School of Health, it is not a med school but rather a vehicle to student population health. As such, although they do offer both undergraduate and graduate degrees, it's function seems to be primarily for research. That may change.
HFO

Post by HFO » Tue May 14, 2024 4:45 pm

Justafan wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:10 pm
1/2NELSON wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:56 pm Justafan states,.."Lehigh will continue to get capable students. Having a few "special admissions" for elite athletes who have an 1150 SAT instead of 1300 is not the end of the world given the plethora of majors Lehigh now offers. You can major in Community Health in School of Health Population or Health, Medicine & Society in School of Arts and Science or Design or Theater."

Just to be clear, all those stats were provided by HFO, not me, Giving credit where credit is due. However, he may have mistyped or misinterpreted one line. China/India make up 52% of all foreign students...not all students. That shouldn't be a shock to anyone. Those 2 countries make up about 40% of the world's population. and the economic areas of China has positioned itself according to Programme For International Assessment as the producing the top students in math, science and reading in the world. The US is #38, #19 and #13 respectively.

If a college wants to increase their academic reputation and their world presence, they need to bring in the best and brightest students in the world.

As for the School of Health, it is not a med school but rather a vehicle to student population health. As such, although they do offer both undergraduate and graduate degrees, it's function seems to be primarily for research. That may change.
I hear it is a loss leader and going to be eliminated. Will fold the majors into Arts & Science.
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Tue May 14, 2024 5:10 pm

I'm not sure I would use the term "loss leader" in this case but it was certainly a ship without a rudder during the last administration.

I had not heard the rumor about folding the College of Health into the College of Arts and Science but it certainly makes a lot of sense to me. The HST Building houses the new state of the art engineering and science labs that Lehigh was sorely lacking and together with the health curriculum was probably largely responsible for the 35% increase in research $ in the first year of the Helble Administration.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Tue May 14, 2024 8:11 pm

HFO wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:45 pm
Justafan wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:10 pm

I hear it is a loss leader and going to be eliminated. Will fold the majors into Arts & Science.
The clowns that chose our last President should be out at Lehigh. I know they have their names on things now due to generational family wealth, but get them out of the university business. Awful decision-making wasting millions of dollars in the process.