Simon Announces Resignation

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
LU808

Re: Simon Announces Resignation

Post by LU808 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:36 pm

Lehigh MUST control costs and lower the break even point....otherwise decision flexibility goes out the window!

TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:00 pm

LU808 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:36 pm Lehigh MUST control costs and lower the break even point....otherwise decision flexibility goes out the window!
I think we may all agree that controlling costs is an area that needs to be addressed. This tends to be a pet peeve about many non-profits. They first find projects that they feel compelled to do then raise the money to pay for it.

I do want ot clear up one misconception though. Lehigh like most private schools will put a high sticker price out there. Most students don't pay that. This article does a pretty good job of explaining how the system works.

https://blog.collegevine.com/what-does- ... niversity/
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:10 am

When I was alumni director at Drexel 1986-89, there was no medical school in sight there. From out of nowhere in 2002, DU assumed mgmt responsibility from Tenet Healthcare which had acquired Hahnemann U (and hospital) plus MCP the decade before. The Dragons claimed its origins in medicine via a woman's anatomy class described in 1903.

That was one helluva leap forward to create the Drexel University College of Medicine in 2002. If you haven't visited Drexel in the last 10-12 years, you won't recognize it. Its enrollment has virtually doubled since I worked there, to nearly 26k today. Meanwhile, the LU campus has become about 4x as liberal as it was when most of us were there, straining the the true definition of "university"; I can speak objectively, as a moderate liberal myself. You'd think we had acquired Cal-Berkeley.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:03 am

drd5748 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:10 am When I was alumni director at Drexel 1986-89, there was no medical school in sight there. From out of nowhere in 2002, DU assumed mgmt responsibility from Tenet Healthcare which had acquired Hahnemann U (and hospital) plus MCP the decade before. The Dragons claimed its origins in medicine via a woman's anatomy class described in 1903.

That was one helluva leap forward to create the Drexel University College of Medicine in 2002. If you haven't visited Drexel in the last 10-12 years, you won't recognize it. Its enrollment has virtually doubled since I worked there, to nearly 26k today. Meanwhile, the LU campus has become about 4x as liberal as it was when most of us were there, straining the the true definition of "university"; I can speak objectively, as a moderate liberal myself. You'd think we had acquired Cal-Berkeley.
Ooh, "liberal." How scary!
LU808

Post by LU808 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:53 pm

NothingMeaningful wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:03 am
drd5748 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:10 am When I was alumni director at Drexel 1986-89, there was no medical school in sight there. From out of nowhere in 2002, DU assumed mgmt responsibility from Tenet Healthcare which had acquired Hahnemann U (and hospital) plus MCP the decade before. The Dragons claimed its origins in medicine via a woman's anatomy class described in 1903.

EXACTLY - SCARY! Just look at the BLM manifesto they are clinging to today.

The Democrat party is a shell of it's former self and an empty vessel for the grievance crowd....shameless

JFK couldn't win a primary let alone the nomination.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:01 pm

Enough!!
Cut the crap with the political takes. Sports gentleman. I get the relevance for our Lehigh today with declining graduating senior classes to compete. Stick to that issue. Leave your political screeds for Facebook.
TMH

Post by TMH » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:39 pm

LU808 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:53 pm
NothingMeaningful wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:03 am

EXACTLY - SCARY! Just look at the BLM manifesto they are clinging to today.

The Democrat party is a shell of it's former self and an empty vessel for the grievance crowd....shameless

JFK couldn't win a primary let alone the nomination.
Denny,

Let me supplement a bit of your history. Steve Klasko, my roommate at Lehigh is now the CEO of Thomas Jefferson Hospital and University. He went to Med school at Hahnemann under an agreement that Lehigh had to supply students who wanted to pursue a medical degree much like Drexel. He later became the catalyst for the merger with Tenet serving as the CEO of the Drexel University Physicians and the first Dean of the Drexel University College of Medicine. I'm not sure if it would be a step up or step down for Steve but there is an opening here at Lehigh coming up. :-)

LU0808,

I won't try to change your politics but I would suggest reading up on JFK, especially during the last 5 months of his life. His speeches and the "manifesto" sound strikingly similar.
It also wouldn't hurt to apply your test to Reagan and the current Republican Party. I'll let you come to your own conclusions.

Enjoy this beautiful Labor Day everyone.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:39 pm

>>The Democrat party is a shell of it's former self

Its. And what exactly do you the GOP today led by, well, never mind ... the donkeys have held The White House 16 of the last 28 years, likely to make it 20 of 32. Pretty resilient shell

I didn't ask for a lecture on politics and have read more than most; all I did was point out that I don't agree with Lehigh's dramatic move to the Left.
mookie

Post by mookie » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:34 am

What specifically concerns you?
mookie

Post by mookie » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:13 pm

It was Simon's no mas moment. He just quit.