Simon Announces Resignation

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
RichH

Re: Simon Announces Resignation

Post by RichH » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:40 pm

An interview in the B&W, Simon basically said just that. He is worn out. His contract runs thru '25. He noted that he had basically been going 24/7 since February. He hasnt considered what's next except that he doesnt want to be a univerity President again anywhere.

TMH

Post by TMH » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:07 pm

I thought he announced that he was taking a year sabbatical and then teaching presumably at Lehigh. I hope he can get a parking space. :-)
mookie

Post by mookie » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:21 pm

They need to name an interim and remove him now.
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:53 pm

TMH wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:07 pm I thought he announced that he was taking a year sabbatical and then teaching presumably at Lehigh. I hope he can get a parking space. :-)
Interview was a cursory hit as Simon was grabbing a coffee. Lets see how it plays out. A guaranteed parking spot could be the key. :)
TMH

Post by TMH » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:04 pm

mookie wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:21 pm They need to name an interim and remove him now.
I wonder what the job market is like for an "interim college President" in the era of COVID. It just doesn't seem that attractive to me.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:36 pm

Simon has recognized that the current position of Lehigh in the age of COVID needs someone who has the energy AND the long term commitment needed to see the transition through. Although, his current contract went to '25, past comments indicate he doubted he would complete that term and, now, would be the time to change leaders. I have been impressed with his embracing Lehigh before he even arrived. He was "all in" for Lehigh back in 2014 coming up to NYC to see us wrestle Columbia the night before the "150" debacle. He jumped a the idea of being on the cover of our "Mat Wrap" to promote membership, despite really not knowing much about wrestling. He proposed a bold vision for Lehigh's future. I think the College of Health Sciences is an excellent idea and positions the school for being a leader in a field that will continue to have tremendous growth. Yes, he or his administration made some stumbles. Who doesn't? But overall, I think he was a the right person at the right time. Hopefully, the search for his successor goes smoothly. I believe there will be a tremendous interest in the position.
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:01 pm

Apparently resignations are contagious too. Alison Byerly (lafayette)just announced her resignation too effective the end of the school year.

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/easton ... -year.html
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:43 am

TMH wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:39 pm
LU808 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:53 pm
NothingMeaningful wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:03 am

Ooh, "liberal." How scary!
EXACTLY - SCARY! Just look at the BLM manifesto they are clinging to today.

The Democrat party is a shell of it's former self and an empty vessel for the grievance crowd....shameless

JFK couldn't win a primary let alone the nomination.
Denny,

Let me supplement a bit of your history. Steve Klasko, my roommate at Lehigh is now the CEO of Thomas Jefferson Hospital and University. He went to Med school at Hahnemann under an agreement that Lehigh had to supply students who wanted to pursue a medical degree much like Drexel. He later became the catalyst for the merger with Tenet serving as the CEO of the Drexel University Physicians and the first Dean of the Drexel University College of Medicine. I'm not sure if it would be a step up or step down for Steve but there is an opening here at Lehigh coming up. :-)

LU0808,

I won't try to change your politics but I would suggest reading up on JFK, especially during the last 5 months of his life. His speeches and the "manifesto" sound strikingly similar.
It also wouldn't hurt to apply your test to Reagan and the current Republican Party. I'll let you come to your own conclusions.

Enjoy this beautiful Labor Day everyone.
I was friends with Steve's brother Ron Klasko at a fraternity on Warren Square in the late 60's. Ron's no slouch either. Currently has an international law firm in Philly and arguing before the supreme court from time to time. Both are brilliant & remarkably down to earth people. Either would be great for the job.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:54 pm

TMH wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:39 pm
LU808 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:53 pm
NothingMeaningful wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:03 am

Ooh, "liberal." How scary!
EXACTLY - SCARY! Just look at the BLM manifesto they are clinging to today.

The Democrat party is a shell of it's former self and an empty vessel for the grievance crowd....shameless

JFK couldn't win a primary let alone the nomination.
Denny,

Let me supplement a bit of your history. Steve Klasko, my roommate at Lehigh is now the CEO of Thomas Jefferson Hospital and University. He went to Med school at Hahnemann under an agreement that Lehigh had to supply students who wanted to pursue a medical degree much like Drexel. He later became the catalyst for the merger with Tenet serving as the CEO of the Drexel University Physicians and the first Dean of the Drexel University College of Medicine. I'm not sure if it would be a step up or step down for Steve but there is an opening here at Lehigh coming up. :-)

LU0808,

I won't try to change your politics but I would suggest reading up on JFK, especially during the last 5 months of his life. His speeches and the "manifesto" sound strikingly similar.
It also wouldn't hurt to apply your test to Reagan and the current Republican Party. I'll let you come to your own conclusions.

Enjoy this beautiful Labor Day everyone.

I disagree...I don't see the DNC supporting ANY candidate with positions like these....

He cut taxes. The Kennedy tax cuts, passed by the House in September 1963 cut the top individual income tax rate to 70% from 91% (Kennedy had wanted the income tax rate lowered to 65% and the long-term capital gains rate cut to 19.5% from 25).

He told a liberal Harvard economics professor to "shut up" when he opposed Kennedy's tax cuts. He told John Kenneth Galbraith to shut up. John Kenneth Galbraith, the 6-foot, eight-inch tall liberal Keynesian Harvard economics professor, opposed the Kennedy tax cuts, preferring increased government spending instead.

He favored free trade. Kennedy’s highest priority with Congress in 1962 was trade negotiation authority, which gave him power to negotiate tariff reductions. Opposing taxes on goods imported from overseas, he sounded like a member of the Tea Party: “When the people of Boston in 1773 threw cargoes of tea into the harbor, the American Revolution was in effect underway.”

He was really, REALLY anti-Communist. At the Mormon Tabernacle in 1960, Kennedy said, “The enemy is the communist system itself — implacable, insatiable, unceasing in its drive for world domination.” And at Berlin in 1963, Kennedy said, “There are some who say in Europe and elsewhere we can work with the Communists. Let them come to Berlin.”

He invaded, then blockaded Cuba. Kennedy OK'd the Bay of Pigs invasion, backing Cuban rebels in their attempt to dislodge the Communist Fidel Castro. When that failed and the Soviets later sent nuclear missiles to Cuba, Kennedy disregarded the counsel of dovish advisers who told him to ignore the weapons. Instead, he ordered the U.S. Navy into action.

He escalated American involvement in the Vietnam War. The American antiwar movement that peaked in the late 1960s started as a protest against President Kennedy’s war in Vietnam.
He was very religious. Kennedy attended mass weekly, sometimes more, and knelt to pray at bedtime. Kennedy justified his political beliefs by explaining that Americans believed people had certain rights that came from God, and by contrasting that with the godless Soviet Union.

He appointed one of the two justices who dissented against Roe v. Wade. Byron White (left), a Kennedy Surpeme Court appointee, was one of only two justices who dissented against the 1973 decision in Roe v. Wade that found women had the constitutional right to an abortion.

He called abortion repugnant. Now, on the question of limiting population: As you know the Japanese have been doing it very vigorously, through abortion, which I think would be repugnant to all Americans.”

He went slow on civil rights. Martin Luther King Jr. called the Kennedy administration’s approach on civil rights “essentially cautious and defensive.” After King gave his “I have a dream” speech at the March on Washington, Kennedy met with him and the march’s organizers and suggested "with all the influence that all you gentlemen have in the Negro community…[you] really have to concentrate on what I think the Jewish community has done on educating their children, on making them stay in school, and all the rest.”

He was not a big spender. Kennedy’s annual federal budget deficits were all lower than Eisenhower’s had been in 1959.

He was not a big spender except when it came to the military. During Kennedy's reign, spending increases were concentrated on the military, the defense budget rose 20%

He was tough on unions. He criticized union leaders who he said “practice extortion, shakedowns, and bribery.”

He wanted to reform welfare. Kennedy followed through with welfare policy stressing “training for useful work instead of prolonged dependency.”

He was friendly to the oil and gas industries. In a 1961 message to Congress on regulation, Kennedy spoke of the job-creating value of natural gas pipelines and asked Congress to change the law to exempt more pipelines and gas producers from federal regulations.

Kennedy gave conservative speeches. On Jan. 29, 1950, at Notre Dame, he said, “The ever expanding power of the federal government, the absorption of many of the functions that states and cities once considered to be the responsibilities of their own.

He wanted to reform welfare. His famous inaugural address line, “Ask not what your country can do for you…” was later described by journalist Chris Matthews as “a hard Republican-sounding slap at the welfare state.” Kennedy followed through with welfare policy stressing “training for useful work instead of prolonged dependency.”
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:40 pm

Did Kennedy or Nixon ever speak at Lehigh? No? Then WTF does this have to do with Lehigh Wrestling,

(Ike Spoke at the East Mauch Chunk RR Station of the LVRR)