A basketball link.

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Richb-3

A basketball link.

Post by Richb-3 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:38 am

I suspect the majority of followers of the Lehigh Wrestling Board do not look at the other boards I think this is a worthwhile link. 3 M-BktB frosh of Asian heritage.

https://www.lehighsportsforum.com/viewt ... =5&t=21056

It also makes me a little sad that my friend who was Mech Eng Prof, and still lives southside and is officially a visiting professor informs me that the two Asian NAtions with the most Lehigh Students might not be China and India, But Turkey and Iran, but no wrestlers

TMH

Re: A basketball link.

Post by TMH » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:08 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:38 am I suspect the majority of followers of the Lehigh Wrestling Board do not look at the other boards I think this is a worthwhile link. 3 M-BktB frosh of Asian heritage.

https://www.lehighsportsforum.com/viewt ... =5&t=21056

It also makes me a little sad that my friend who was Mech Eng Prof, and still lives southside and is officially a visiting professor informs me that the two Asian NAtions with the most Lehigh Students might not be China and India, But Turkey and Iran, but no wrestlers
The basketball players in this article were Asian by heritage only, still a rarity in that sport. Of a bit more interest to me is the initial trend at Lehigh to bring in a limited # of foreign student/athletes from countries that excel in that sport. Men's lacrosse has been getting a # of players from Canada who almost all enjoyed a great deal of success here. Field hockey is bringing in one girl annually from the Netherlands. Men's soccer has recently been recruiting some outstanding players from Africa via a program that brings them to a New England prep school to assimilate. Track and field ha also brought in runners from Africa who have enjoyed significant success here.

There is no reason, that I know of, that would prohibit Lehigh wrestling from exploring this option at least on a limited basis perhaps using Blair or Wyoming Seminary as a stopping point. Just a thought.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:27 pm

non fWe have had a couple good guys from non football nations. Not quite up with Georgetown who had guys from all the other continents, save antarctica, in the last decade.

Again, my point is that it is such a shame that we have had so many students from such strong wrestling countries and none were wrestlers. Admittedly, I don't know the Grad to undergrad ratio.
HFO

Post by HFO » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:40 am

If self financed, Bethlehem Catholic has a number of foreign students. Few are there for athletics, but to get into Top 30 universities.

The problem is that if you are on the Junior National Team of your home country or in the mix, they typically want you in country at their National Training Center for development. I don't expect you will get the best wrestlers of countries like Iran, Japan, Russia. However, I do think you can get outstanding wrestlers of countries that do not have high per capita income and huge national budgets of places like Georgia, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Mongolia, Cuba which are deep in talent. Then they have to be academically ready for any American college, let alone Lehigh or other top tier colleges. A rough road for a sport that doesn't lead you to a big money payoff like hockey, basketball, baseball or even soccer. It should not be ignored, but not something you want to throw too much Athletic Department money at.