Is the sky falling?

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
jdalu75

Is the sky falling?

Post by jdalu75 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:08 pm

Anytime a winning streak (nine in a row over Navy) ends it never looks good. A couple of things I'll point out:

- Pittsburgh and Navy both fielded their best teams against us. We fielded far from our best team. Pitt's coach said his team lost little preparation time, and my guess is that Army and Navy can clamp down their campuses better than anyone else in the country. I recall Pat saying that he lost his guys for six weeks in the fall. Mid-season form against pre-season form, and all that.

- Both matches were on the road. Unlike past years, we can't stay overnight this year. Means long bus rides, followed by trying to make weight, then competing, all on the same day. When's the last time we ever did that?

Sounds like Humphreys is out this year; don't know yet about Wood. Looking at our better guys, we haven't yet seen Karam, Paetzell, Moran, Ruth, Barnabae, and Munch. The lineup will look different in a few weeks.

Things that are going through the Navy coaches' minds today (yes, they're happy that they ended the nine-match losing streak to Lehigh, but they're in their jobs this afternoon because of the four-match losing streak to Army that they still need to address):

Why was their starting 125-pounder unable to take down, escape from, or ride against a guy they weren't expecting to start for us? And why don't they have a backup at 125?

Same concern at 133, except they did have a backup.

Why did their defending EIWA champ at 141 nearly lose to a freshman?

Why did the only Top 100 recruit on their entire team, Andrew Cerniglia (IM #22, Flo #20), nearly lose to a backup wrestling his first career dual?

Why does Brian Meyer have more takedowns in one bout against NCAA champion Vincenzo Joseph than their 2-time EIWA champ Skidgel has in two bouts against Meyer?

If Key is so good that he's ranked higher than Cerniglia, why did he have such a tough time with true freshman JT Davis?

Just in case you thought they're entirely pleased this afternoon.

jdalu75

Re: Is the sky falling?

Post by jdalu75 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:55 pm

And speaking of weird stuff happening in this weird season -- Hofstra's Holden Heller just beat Army's Markus Hartman.
Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:08 pm

jdalu75 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:08 pm my guess is that Army and Navy can clamp down their campuses better than anyone else in the country.

Army can, anyway. Navy, however, has done a lousy job. Football team had covid, basketball team had to stop for two weeks due to covid. Women's basketball had to stop due to covid. Don't know about wrestling.

In a fully fenced-in facility with guards at the gate, and no mids allowed to leave the facility, you'd think they could at least do as well as schools like Boston U or Bucknell.
mh1

Post by mh1 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:18 pm

Not sure the administrators did these kids any favors by ruling out overnight travel. Like you said, 5 hours in a bus, make weight, wrestle a couple matches and another 5 hours back is crazy. Bucknell has that today down in West Virginia. Sometimes folks in positions of authority feel like they have to do something to make it look like they are engaged. This decision was silly.
mookie

Post by mookie » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:58 pm

Of course all of this is nonsense. They have a serious lack of talent up top.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:04 pm

I'm really not sure why everyone is so surprised by what is going on. The coaches all but told us that this was going to be a very different season. I said before Hofstra to be prepared to have a season where we can watch and evaluate our young talent.
We knew that Humphreys and Wood probably not wrestle this year. We knew Weiler was gone. We found out Farro was not wrestling and we would need to replace Kutler. Covid impacted about 6 weeks of training for a very young squad. Factor in weight issues, health issues, injuries and this was bound to be more or less an exhibition season. When students come back on college campuses, expect even more obstructions.
In the meantime, I'm just going to sit back and see if our youngsters get better. It's better than an alternative of no wrestling at all.

Just my opinion
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:57 pm

Why are the '75 guys always reasonable?
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:13 pm

'cause of the '75 girls?
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:34 am

Have to agree with Mookie on this one.

Seems like from 157 up we are very young and raw except for Jake who as said earlier seems not completely into it this year (although who knows he may be dinged etc)..........

157 very young and very raw across the board

165 I like Brian Meyer, he battles, but he is not a 165 lber.....Lawrence has been disappointing but he's a true freshman, not worth getting worked up over yet by any means....although Cerniglia's start puts his struggles more in the spot light.......

174. Logan looks good on his feet....apparently has zero interest in riding?

184 very young and very raw across the board

197 After Jake....no sure who's there at the moment

285 Lacombe looks like an average D1 heavy, gonna win some going to lose some

As for Farro not wrestling this year......well after watching Hines and hearing Paetzell might not go back to 125.....have the feeling Farro saw the writing on the wall, he's not big enough to wrestle 141 (if he could even beat McGonagle or Karam).....so he would have had to go back to 125 which has been a losing battle for him weight wise or try to slug it out with Paetzell and Hines which I don't think would have ended up too well for him..........
mookie

Post by mookie » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:37 am

Desperately need to recruit 184 - 285. Cupboard is bare.