And the Head Coach Clock restarts. Tick-Tock....

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

Re: And the Head Coach Clock restarts. Tick-Tock....

Post by RichH » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:14 pm

IPSY1975 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:01 am First,It's good that Sterrett wants a Defensive HC because I don't think we can maintain the same approach that has not been working for years..D has to be fixed

Secondly, tell me I am wrong but we don't have to worry about fielding a good Offense since season after season we have produced points. That said,insert a new OC or keep who we have

Thirdly, the elephant in the room must be addressed i.e. how to take this program to the next level in the FCS. Why not revamp the Scholarship with Financial Aid packages like Ivies have figured out?? Does Lehigh and PL have ability to follow suit?

I want a new HC that lobbies for these points ...period.

Favorites: Venuto from Villanova or FCS/ Ivy Coordinator.
PL does not provide sam flexibility. Fro recruited kids a total of 60 schollies ftom any source. True WOs can now get need aid that does not vount vs cap.

van

Post by van » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:30 pm

right, Ivys can have 90 guys on need aid if they can find them academically qualified
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:26 pm

Clements' bio impressive: https://kubears.com/coaches.aspx?rc=654

Venuto's too -- and his kid plays QB at Muhlenberg: https://villanova.com/coaches.aspx?rc=388

If offered, could be Venuto's last crack at a HC job -- looks like he's in his late 50s.

Hard to predict who will get the nod ...
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:51 pm

Dont see Venuto moving. Dont think his age should be a deciding factor if Joe believes he can do the job.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:36 am

Venuto certainly qualified on paper, but hasn't he been the OC for 'nova for many years? I know some guys flip sides, so he philosophy on recruiting and putting some of the best athletes on D would be important. I wonder if final interviews occuring today. Most people gone and diverted, nice and quiet, a good time for uninterrupted office time...like what I'm doing at my office. This is my 'break'! :D
News
Site Admin

Post by News » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:36 pm

ngineer

Post by ngineer » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:54 pm

Huh?
Lehigh4Life

Post by Lehigh4Life » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:24 pm

The entire PL would have to go along with the guidelines for the scholarships/fin aid.. The Ivy League has made the decision that they will offer every student the same package, so that is why they can offer as many kids as they do, the way they do.

I talked to Joe at one of the games, and he said that the 60 scholarship limit is tough, but the real problem is getting another 30 players to pay FULL tuition. They are NOT allowed to give financial aid to a player outside of their 60 scholarships. If you look at other FCS Scholarship schools, most of them can offer academic $$, in-state tuition, etc, and still have those 63 scholarships. In essence, a player at Lehigh gets a half scholarship, they are likely still paying $35k for that half (or whatever it comes out to). A lot harder to get a kid to pay that much money, or in the case of the walk-on, 70k.

We need to look at the models that HC and Colgate are using, because they are doing it differently. Not sure it's within the rules, but they are doing it.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:16 pm

Lehigh4Life wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:24 pm The entire PL would have to go along with the guidelines for the scholarships/fin aid.. The Ivy League has made the decision that they will offer every student the same package, so that is why they can offer as many kids as they do, the way they do.

I talked to Joe at one of the games, and he said that the 60 scholarship limit is tough, but the real problem is getting another 30 players to pay FULL tuition. They are NOT allowed to give financial aid to a player outside of their 60 scholarships. If you look at other FCS Scholarship schools, most of them can offer academic $$, in-state tuition, etc, and still have those 63 scholarships. In essence, a player at Lehigh gets a half scholarship, they are likely still paying $35k for that half (or whatever it comes out to). A lot harder to get a kid to pay that much money, or in the case of the walk-on, 70k.

We need to look at the models that HC and Colgate are using, because they are doing it differently. Not sure it's within the rules, but they are doing it.
Am I reading you right? There is a kid X(This is totally hypothetical) at Say Saucon Valley. Having lived near Goodman Stadium, he would like to play for Lehigh, But as of his Junior Year, he is only Colonial league honorable mention, maybe 2nd team as senior. He is also, academically, top boy in his HS class 4.0+ with 1500 SAT. He wants to study Engineering. Well normally, we would not give football money to such a guy, but with his academics, and the fact that his mom is a single parent, a HS teacher, we can sure give him academic need money.

But if I read you correctly, he cannot walk onto the football team without his academic money counting against football's 60. If I am interpreting you correctly, that is insane, criminally insane.
Lehigh4Life

Post by Lehigh4Life » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:29 pm

The way I understand it is if the school recruits him at all, he CANNOT receive any financial aid. The 60 scholarships are separate.

If he had an academic scholarship, that was not based on anything from the football program, then he would be fine to walk on. I've been told by many in the program that Lehigh is very careful with that, as they don't want to appear to break the rules.

Also, it appeared someone posted that the PL can now offer financial aid, so that is news to me.

I am a HS coach, and I talked to the past two Lehigh recruiters for my area, as well as had a couple conversations with both Joe and OC Scott Brisson about how hard it is to have practice with the limited roster sizes, and the talent level of the guys they can get to practice with these rules.

This is what I understand it to be.

I also have talked with FCS Scholarship schools around me, mostly public schools, that have much different standards for their academic scholarships.

You also have to remember, if I am recruiting a scholarship kid, that can compete at FCS level, and then my next option, player 61, is a walk-on that is willing to pay full tuition, it's not going to be close to the caliber of player that received a scholarship. This is the issue Lehigh needs to figure out. How to get around this dumb rule that limits the roster size and ability of kids to pay to go to school.