Demand Accountability. Letters to President Heible

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
LUFAN

Re: Demand Accountability. Letters to President Heible

Post by LUFAN » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:36 am

TMH wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:08 pm
HFO wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:36 am As a veteran of WW II and Korea, imagine being a buck private and your orders are to a platoon led with history of defeat by a Captain Gilmore. Now imagine total point score differential as casualties on both sides. Something told to me as an 18 year, "A good general believes an infantryman is replaceable. A GREAT general believes an infantryman is IRREPLACEABLE!."

There are great leaders out there. Lehigh took a chance years ago on a high school coach named John Whitehead. Phil Stambaugh was a pretty tough wrestler, pitcher and QB. Even played at Lehigh. Has great leadership ability and a mind for football. If I were President or AD, I'd be looking at that guy. Leaders of men are out there. These young men deserve someone who can lead them into something bother than slaughter.

LEHIGH has been lost for a decade or more. It is time for alumni to demand accountability, not just in sports,but in academia too.

I sent my letter seeking termination of Sterrett as AD and Gilmore as Head Football Coach for reasons previously presented as well as here. Lehigh as an institution deserves better across all areas of the institution. Next step is academic output of faculty.

Bombard President with action letters to his email.
Life has a way of giving us different perspectives. I read every one of your posts but unfortunately agree with very little and so the discussion goes on.

I had a very good friend who died recently and fought in virtually every major battle in the African and European theatre as part of the Fighting 1st Division under Patton and theoretically Eisenhauer. His take was that the infantrymen (grunts I believe he called them) were like pawns in a giant chess match. The "Grand Masters" would gladly sacrifice them for the "greater cause".

I do find it somewhat strange to compare war with an extracurricular college sport. Apparently, the generals at West Point don't equate them or Army would have had more than 5 winning seasons in the last 25 years. Ironically, 4 of those campaigns were under current Head Coach Jeff Monken who went 4-8 and 2-10 in his 1st 2 seasons. In hindsight, a similar letter to the brass would have seemed foolish then. Army has a far larger budget than Lehigh.

So to correct your history. John Whitehead was brought on at Lehigh to coach the offensive line (3 seasons). Only then did he become the OC (6 years) before becoming the HC. Phil Stambaugh, per a variety of sources, has no intention of leaving his job as Dean of Students, teacher and football coach at Notre Dame to come to Lehigh or anywhere else.

If I'm not mistaken, you have already informed the University that you are not giving the University a dime because they took back and honorary degree from someone you obviously look up to. You may be out of ammo.

I'm sure you look back at your years at Lehigh with rose-tinted glasses but Lehigh still prepares their students exceptionally well for the real world. They rank #21 in the country in terms of salaries, interestingly just ahead of Cal-Berkley. They are tied for 10th for most CEOs in Fortune 500. Along with Bucknell, they have far fewer undergraduates than the others.

Lehigh is doing just fine where it counts. Save your ink.

TMH is clearly a Lehigh University administration myrmidon. There is so much to dissect but when someone is clearly associated with the very powers that are under fire, there is no rationalizing. First, CEOs provide little information because we all know that most are well into their 40s, 50s, or older. That fact, while impressive, does not speak to the current state of Lehigh.

I am not sure if you have ever been there, but please see the George C. Marshall plaque located on the southeast entrance to Michie stadium. Grunts? Maybe that is how your friend saw it, but I see it much differently. Army football had a bleak time period in the early 2000s. Do you know what happened? Todd Berry was relieved of his duties.

What TMH is missing, and I cannot speak for every fan of Lehigh Football, is the lack of progress in the program. Last spring Lehigh was 0-3 with excuses abound. It was youth, it Lehigh had it harder than others, it was weather. So with another "promising" freshman class in the fold and an entire summer of preparation, the team has gone backward vs other Patriot League foes. Let that resonate. All teams had a shortened prep time in the spring and it actually evened the playing field. Now, with June, July, August, and September to prepare, the team is worse than ever. THAT is the problem.

The fact that the OC was retained after the spring season lands in the lap of one person. Lehigh's offense has gotten progressively worse since 2017 under his command. What football person thought the fall season would be any different? Mr. Gilmore was relieved of his duties midseason in 2017 after compiling a less than impressive record and alienating many who coached and played for him. Who thought his time at Lehigh would be any different?

There are 5th year ex-Lehigh players all around the country excelling. Maybe someone close to the program should ask why they didn't come back. Two freshman contributors left for the transfer portal in 2019. Maybe someone should ask them why they left. A senior QB of a football alum left this fall. A senior DL left the team this summer. A senior RB left the team in camp. Maybe someone should ask why.

I do not have the inside track to the interworking of Lehigh Football, but as a longtime fan and local, I am disgusted. It's not just the record, the losing streak, or the offense that is actually doing something quite historical, but the lack of culture, passion, and toughness that is part of Lehigh's fabric. Who is to blame for that? Well, I would start with the head coach who enters every press conference armed with excuses and poor explanations. Leadership starts at the top and until Mr. Gilmore accepts responsibility for his team's dreadful execution, the players will also be fooled into thinking all is okay. Great coaches take the heat and work to get better, bad coaches point fingers and make excuses. It is that simple.

I don't donate to Lehigh so I cannot "withhold" anything, but I hope that the administration realizes the very obvious need for change. Very few fans, parents, alumni, or players would disagree.....maybe just TMH.

TMH

Post by TMH » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:19 pm

"There are 5th year ex-Lehigh players all around the country excelling. Maybe someone close to the program should ask why they didn't come back. Two freshman contributors left for the transfer portal in 2019. Maybe someone should ask them why they left. A senior QB of a football alum left this fall. A senior DL left the team this summer. A senior RB left the team in camp. Maybe someone should ask why."

With all due respect, I'm sure that those close to the program know the answer. Unfortunately, many of us, don't nor should we. I would suggest that you take a peak at the transfer portal one day. The volume of kids on there is astounding and they are there for a variety of reasons. Lehigh, very recently has had 3 transfer in here. Perhaps, it would be helpful knowing their story.

I'll assume you are referring to Hope and Spencer. They were great friends before Lehigh. The former talked the latter into coming here and I suspect in leaving too for the brighter lights. Hope is now at Coastal Carolina and is currently way back on the depth chart. Spencer Tweeted about going to Oklahoma St. and the Iowa but ended up at Florida Atlantic before transferring again to Fordham.

5th year players is a whole new ballgame. Those who intend on going to grad school need to have a matching major at Lehigh. There also needs to be funding available. It appears that Lehigh was prepared to bring back 2 in every sport. Linebacker was going to be hit hard to graduation, potentially losing 3 starters so they got the funds. I have no idea what reason Fournier, Fest etc. for transferring. I believe they all graduated but I don't think it is nearly as nefarious as you want to believe.

I hope this answers your question to some degree.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:47 pm

TMH wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:19 pm "There are 5th year ex-Lehigh players all around the country excelling. Maybe someone close to the program should ask why they didn't come back. Two freshman contributors left for the transfer portal in 2019. Maybe someone should ask them why they left. A senior QB of a football alum left this fall. A senior DL left the team this summer. A senior RB left the team in camp. Maybe someone should ask why."

With all due respect, I'm sure that those close to the program know the answer. Unfortunately, many of us, don't nor should we. I would suggest that you take a peak at the transfer portal one day. The volume of kids on there is astounding and they are there for a variety of reasons. Lehigh, very recently has had 3 transfer in here. Perhaps, it would be helpful knowing their story.

I'll assume you are referring to Hope and Spencer. They were great friends before Lehigh. The former talked the latter into coming here and I suspect in leaving too for the brighter lights. Hope is now at Coastal Carolina and is currently way back on the depth chart. Spencer Tweeted about going to Oklahoma St. and the Iowa but ended up at Florida Atlantic before transferring again to Fordham.

5th year players is a whole new ballgame. Those who intend on going to grad school need to have a matching major at Lehigh. There also needs to be funding available. It appears that Lehigh was prepared to bring back 2 in every sport. Linebacker was going to be hit hard to graduation, potentially losing 3 starters so they got the funds. I have no idea what reason Fournier, Fest etc. for transferring. I believe they all graduated but I don't think it is nearly as nefarious as you want to believe.

I hope this answers your question to some degree.
You seem to have all the answers TMH, it's just that the sum total of what you say amounts to nothing!

Spencer and Hope are enjoying "brighter lights". One is on a 6-0 FBS team and he has worked himself into a great position moving forward. The other is on a team about put a whooping on Lehigh this weekend. They play for winning teams and winning programs. Much brighter than what these poor Lehigh players are enduring.

The transfer portal is full of many player, for many different reasons. However, when a program and university the likes of Lehigh is losing kids, there MAY be more to it. I don't know that answer, you seem to. I simply suggested that it would be good information for those in power to have.

Transfers: A Toledo transfer who was a 5th string QB, seemingly for good reason. A Michigan transfer who was down on the depth chart at P5 school. Are you serious?? You need to know why they transferred? Garcia made a great decision to come to Lehigh for football and wrestling and we all hope he stays.

LB was a need? Yes. But to prioritize, OL seems to be a bigger problem, at least in the eyes of complaining alumni on this forum. Fest, Fournier, and Rosen would be difference makers.

I cannot tell you what changes need to take place, but any observer would acknowledge that something has to change. The current state of Lehigh Football is unacceptable. Sadly, I have simply stopped attending games. If you prefer to ignore the obvious, then you are part of the problem, not the solution.
lfnadmin

Post by lfnadmin » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:47 pm

Some real talk about why kids are spending their 5th year elsewhere. I don't think it has much to do with the head coach.

Suppose you are a 1st team all-PL player at Lehigh. Let's say you've enjoyed a Patriot League championship, played in Leh/Laf, and overall had a very good time at Lehigh - and you've gotten your degree.

You want to see how far you can take your football career. Can you play professionally? In the CFL, NFL? Maybe. Nobody knows. You have one more year to play college football to show your abilities to play professionally.

Do you sign up for a year of graduate school at Lehigh and play a 5th year? Maybe. Maybe your major lines up, the funding lines up, and it all works out. Many folks love Lehigh. I do, of course. So I get that, and I will ensure those names get written into Lehigh history.

But look at Lehigh's future schedules. There aren't games against Nebraska or Boston College - or even Army and Navy - to get you in front of NFL scouts that often. You could dominate the Patriot League and be 1st team all-Patriot League. But if you stay at Lehigh, you're taking a chance that an NFL scout following Villanova or Princeton players will be paying attention for the quarter where you make that viral play.

Ryan Greenhagen has been a dominant force at Fordham for two years running. But most of America, and certainly NFL scouts, now know his name because he got 31 tackles against Nebraska. I don't know if he will get drafted, play in the NFL, etc. But he undeniably improved his position to be able to play professionally after college.

Holy Cross/UConn, Colgate/BC, Fordham/Nebraska - we cringe at the mismatches, but the reality is they allow their athletes to get in front of a different audience and impress someone.

That extends to the kids who have transferred for their 5th year - Jorge Portorreal (Youngstown State, played Michigan State, will play North Daktota State, South Dakota State) Chris Fournier (Louisiana Tech, played Mississippi State, SMU, NC State, and will play nationally-ranked UTSA this weekend) and others. Sure, Lehigh can't schedule four FBS Top 25 teams, but the prospect of playing, say, a Rutgers, Maryland, Army, Navy, hell even UMass or UConn every year would go a long way towards bridging this gap.

Remember - this mythical all-PL kid already has a Lehigh degree. We say it's all about the degree, and that's 100% correct. But the kids who have their degree, and have to make decisions on their future lives that may involve football, are making football choices that improve their chances (however slight) of playing professionally. If they have their degree, they can make these decisions. I think if the folks at Lehigh realized this, they would schedule more FBS games, and that would cause more kids to figure out reasons to stay.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:28 pm

lfnadmin wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:47 pm Some real talk about why kids are spending their 5th year elsewhere. I don't think it has much to do with the head coach.

Suppose you are a 1st team all-PL player at Lehigh. Let's say you've enjoyed a Patriot League championship, played in Leh/Laf, and overall had a very good time at Lehigh - and you've gotten your degree.

You want to see how far you can take your football career. Can you play professionally? In the CFL, NFL? Maybe. Nobody knows. You have one more year to play college football to show your abilities to play professionally.

Do you sign up for a year of graduate school at Lehigh and play a 5th year? Maybe. Maybe your major lines up, the funding lines up, and it all works out. Many folks love Lehigh. I do, of course. So I get that, and I will ensure those names get written into Lehigh history.

But look at Lehigh's future schedules. There aren't games against Nebraska or Boston College - or even Army and Navy - to get you in front of NFL scouts that often. You could dominate the Patriot League and be 1st team all-Patriot League. But if you stay at Lehigh, you're taking a chance that an NFL scout following Villanova or Princeton players will be paying attention for the quarter where you make that viral play.

Ryan Greenhagen has been a dominant force at Fordham for two years running. But most of America, and certainly NFL scouts, now know his name because he got 31 tackles against Nebraska. I don't know if he will get drafted, play in the NFL, etc. But he undeniably improved his position to be able to play professionally after college.

Holy Cross/UConn, Colgate/BC, Fordham/Nebraska - we cringe at the mismatches, but the reality is they allow their athletes to get in front of a different audience and impress someone.

That extends to the kids who have transferred for their 5th year - Jorge Portorreal (Youngstown State, played Michigan State, will play North Daktota State, South Dakota State) Chris Fournier (Louisiana Tech, played Mississippi State, SMU, NC State, and will play nationally-ranked UTSA this weekend) and others. Sure, Lehigh can't schedule four FBS Top 25 teams, but the prospect of playing, say, a Rutgers, Maryland, Army, Navy, hell even UMass or UConn every year would go a long way towards bridging this gap.

Remember - this mythical all-PL kid already has a Lehigh degree. We say it's all about the degree, and that's 100% correct. But the kids who have their degree, and have to make decisions on their future lives that may involve football, are making football choices that improve their chances (however slight) of playing professionally. If they have their degree, they can make these decisions. I think if the folks at Lehigh realized this, they would schedule more FBS games, and that would cause more kids to figure out reasons to stay.
Well said. Many truths in that post.

There can certainly be non-coach related reasons a kid chooses a 5th year elsewhere. Here is the simple question. Does anyone know how these players felt about Lehigh Football and the direction of the program? Did that weigh on their decisions?

I think it’s information that would be valuable. If there is a cultural problem, then it’s obvious what has to change. If players loved their coach but it’s a scheme or recruiting problem, again, it can be addressed in those areas. Point is, Lehigh can no longer pretend that there is progress. Heading to an in-conference game vs Fordham as a 40 point underdog is quite the contrary. We don’t need to rehash the many categories where Lehigh is dead last of 123 FCS programs. It should be glaringly obvious to all.

Address the deficiencies and move forward with hope and enthusiasm.
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:40 pm

Quick followup:

Chris Fournier actually did get drafted in the CFL (Alouettes) coming out of Lehigh.
Jorge Portorreal is averaging 18 yds/game at Youngstown but does have 2 TD catches.
Recent verbal commit DJ Brown chose Lehigh over that nationally ranked UTSA team as well as a whole pile of Ivies.

Just some info
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:03 pm

TMH wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:40 pm Quick followup:

Chris Fournier actually did get drafted in the CFL (Alouettes) coming out of Lehigh.
Jorge Portorreal is averaging 18 yds/game at Youngstown but does have 2 TD catches.
Recent verbal commit DJ Brown chose Lehigh over that nationally ranked UTSA team as well as a whole pile of Ivies.

Just some info
I guess Jorge stinks?? 2 hours ago these guys were leaving Lehigh because they wanted to play in the NFL!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

You are now talking about a POSSIBLE recruit turning down UTSA??? Verbal means nothing. Holy cow. Lots of recruits have turned down FBS have underperformed at Lehigh. Rayshawn Allen, a 3 star recruit. 700 career yards. I wonder why.

Have it your way TMH. I hope there is no change and all staff remain in place. We can all come back and get a big laugh at your expense. I’m done with you.

Just some info.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:11 pm

The point about playing against FBS teams is well taken. After all, we had at least two guys we all thought would be at least late round NFL draftees who weren't. Spadola and Bragalone.

I gather that if you want to get an MBA in your 5th year, you always want to go to another you. It is why Chris Weiler went to wrestle for Wisconsin.
IPSY1975

Post by IPSY1975 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:16 am

So many excellent Posts from all of you (except of course that weak Sterrett apologist TMH)

In 40 years of Service Joe S failed on 2 most important decisions: Not at the very least making Lehigh and rest of Pat League competitive like Ivies did in 2015 and of course dumpster firing the Football program by getting T Gillmore

First steps are replacing AD and Football coach imo

Whoever posted the the 5th year senior thread had a brilliant idea and no brainer to play some FBS teams for National exposure

We need to think Big here ..Setbacks are opportunities :)
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:02 am

LUFAN wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:28 pm
lfnadmin wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:47 pm Some real talk about why kids are spending their 5th year elsewhere. I don't think it has much to do with the head coach.

Well said. Many truths in that post.

There can certainly be non-coach related reasons a kid chooses a 5th year elsewhere. Here is the simple question. Does anyone know how these players felt about Lehigh Football and the direction of the program? Did that weigh on their decisions?

I think it’s information that would be valuable. If there is a cultural problem, then it’s obvious what has to change. If players loved their coach but it’s a scheme or recruiting problem, again, it can be addressed in those areas. Point is, Lehigh can no longer pretend that there is progress. Heading to an in-conference game vs Fordham as a 40 point underdog is quite the contrary. We don’t need to rehash the many categories where Lehigh is dead last of 123 FCS programs. It should be glaringly obvious to all.

Address the deficiencies and move forward with hope and enthusiasm.
Well said by both.From my perspective, most of the hyperbole is misplaced. We are terrible this year. How can we be this bad? It must be Gilmore and Sterrett.
There is in fact no such straight line equivalency. Dunno if TG is the right HC. Wasnt my 1st choice.
Should Brisson still be the OC? We have a lot of QBs rostered. Yet none even remotely as capable as the ones we are used to seeing on the field.
A perfect storm of reasons, most somewhat valid, for the offense's situation.
Did Sterrett err in hiring TG? Perhaps . To then demean all that he has accomplished because of that is asinine. To further assume that he is incapable now to address the issues belies his lifelong commitment to Lehigh.
Prior to the season I thought we could get 4 maybe 5 Ws.. I assumed we had a QB. Turns out we didnt. A fatal mistake in talent evaluation. A practice stud but a game dud. Agree the situation must be fixed.
Cant say I am happy about where we are but I see no reason to prejudge what should be done or what Sterrett will or will not do.