Lehigh Lafayette

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
TMH

Re: Lehigh Lafayette

Post by TMH » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:31 pm

"So I will ask this question again. Why was Lehigh successful running the football the last two weeks of 2019?"

I'm guessing volume. We ran the ball 81 times over that 2 game stretch. A good bit was the quarterback scrambling.
I think Beesmer and Shoup had a combined 80 yds rushing against Sacred Heart.

Just looking at stats, Lehigh QBs took almost 50 sacks last year. Twice we gave up 7 in a game.

As for losing Pelletier and Casey, it is duly noted but the cupboard was not bare in that Portorreal was 1st Team All Patriot League in 2018.

BTW, does anyone know what happened to Damon Stewart who was starting on the OL as a freshman?

LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:01 pm

TMH wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:31 pm "So I will ask this question again. Why was Lehigh successful running the football the last two weeks of 2019?"

I'm guessing volume. We ran the ball 81 times over that 2 game stretch. A good bit was the quarterback scrambling.
I think Beesmer and Shoup had a combined 80 yds rushing against Sacred Heart.

Just looking at stats, Lehigh QBs took almost 50 sacks last year. Twice we gave up 7 in a game.

As for losing Pelletier and Casey, it is duly noted but the cupboard was not bare in that Portorreal was 1st Team All Patriot League in 2018.

BTW, does anyone know what happened to Damon Stewart who was starting on the OL as a freshman?
Not exactly volume, in fact, those games were also the highest yards per carry.

But there you have it...the offense Lehigh runs needs a mobile QB. I cannot recall Monaco or this years QB pulling a single read option or scrambling for meaningful yards. That threat then opens up the run game as the defense must account for an additional runner. The running backs did run for over 100 in both of those games.

Scheme must match personnel.
van

Post by van » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:34 am

and scheme is not changing as long as OC is there, and failure to recruit personnel to fit scheme goes on him too
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:35 am

van wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:34 am and scheme is not changing as long as OC is there, and failure to recruit personnel to fit scheme goes on him too
I have no problem with replacing the OC but I'm not sure what you are inferring exactly.
I'm under the impression that assistant coaches recruit areas and not necessarily their positions although I'm sure they have some input. Lehigh over the last few years has had a rash of career ending injuries at one position, the OL. There was also rash of defections prior to this ill-fated spring season. Welcome to the transfer portal. That may or may not be on the coaches. Tom Gilmore has had one full recruiting year which will arrive next year. Are you dissatisfied with the quality or quantity of the OL recruits?

Scheme is intriguing to me and I am certainly no offensive guru. Do you change the scheme to match the personnel or do you change the personnel to match the revised scheme?
By that, I mean, until the OL situation gets corrected, do we stay with the same personnel and perhaps throw more to the RBs to give them space to maneuver or roll the QB out more to buy more time. Do we abandon throwing deep downfield for now due to lack of time? Will misdirections work? Shotgun or under center?
Or do you change personnel and go with the more mobile QB or a RB with more twitch rather than straight ahead?

The Lafayette game was the first time this year I spent some time looking at our scheme. We threw to the RB on the first play. He dropped it. We went back to it about 3 more times, completing 2. At least the 2nd half we did a lot of rolling out. I still think Somerville may be our best option. He has an accurate arm and given some real practice may turn into a legitimate running threat.

A good topic for discussion.
van

Post by van » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:49 pm

2009 to 2013, under Checchini, mostly passing QBs, Clark/Lum/Colvin/Bialkowski, great records

2014 to 2016, Folmer, mostly running QB Shaf and Mayes, one off year, one mediocre year, one good year. awful D

2017 to date, Brisson, non-running QBs Mayes/Monaco, mediocre years, keep running slow developing read option with non-running QB and that is what we have to look forward to (see spring games as example)

we can win with runners or passers or dual threat QBs if the OC sets them up properly or we have generational D and win some with boring 9-7 scores
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:05 pm

van wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:49 pm 2009 to 2013, under Checchini, mostly passing QBs, Clark/Lum/Colvin/Bialkowski, great records

2014 to 2016, Folmer, mostly running QB Shaf and Mayes, one off year, one mediocre year, one good year. awful D

2017 to date, Brisson, non-running QBs Mayes/Monaco, mediocre years, keep running slow developing read option with non-running QB and that is what we have to look forward to (see spring games as example)

we can win with runners or passers or dual threat QBs if the OC sets them up properly or we have generational D and win some with boring 9-7 scores
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. :-)

1.) Please don't confuse records and offensive performances. Under Clark/Dave C. we had neither. Lum had one great year (2011) and 1 mediocre year where Lehigh scored 23 ppg and had 18 interceptions (2011). Colvin didn't begin passing until his senior year but ran an awful lot. That was a great coaching job.

2.) Lehigh, under Folmar, put up as many or more ppg in 2015 and 2016 then Lum did in his best year. In 2014, Shaf had a bad throwing shoulder.

3.)Brissom's 1st year surpassed them all.

So we have 3 offensive coordinators, passing QBs (lum, Mayes), dual threat QBs (Shaf, Colvin). What is the common denominator. In Lum's 2 years, he had 3 All-American OL Rackley, Liebler, McKenna). In the Shaf/Mayes juggernaut, Lehigh had 2 3X all Patriot League OL (Duffy, O'Hara) and 1 2X honoree (Short).

Interesting thing about the transition to Lum. Chris was one of two real blue chippers out of that group coming out of HS (Mayes being the other). I'm doing this from a very cloudy memory but I think Chris put up huge #s during his junior year at Lake Orion and had a lot of big time interest but got hurt in his 1st game of his senior year and I'll assume the interest melted away.
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:36 pm

TMH wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:05 pm
van wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:49 pm 2009 to 2013, under Checchini, mostly passing QBs, Clark/Lum/Colvin/Bialkowski, great records

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. :-)

1.) Please don't confuse records and offensive performances. Under Clark/Dave C. we had neither. Lum had one great year (2011) and 1 mediocre year where Lehigh scored 23 ppg and had 18 interceptions (2011). Colvin didn't begin passing until his senior year but ran an awful lot. That was a great coaching job.

2.) Lehigh, under Folmar, put up as many or more ppg in 2015 and 2016 then Lum did in his best year. In 2014, Shaf had a bad throwing shoulder.

3.)Brissom's 1st year surpassed them all.

So we have 3 offensive coordinators, passing QBs (lum, Mayes), dual threat QBs (Shaf, Colvin). What is the common denominator. In Lum's 2 years, he had 3 All-American OL Rackley, Liebler, McKenna). In the Shaf/Mayes juggernaut, Lehigh had 2 3X all Patriot League OL (Duffy, O'Hara) and 1 2X honoree (Short).

Interesting thing about the transition to Lum. Chris was one of two real blue chippers out of that group coming out of HS (Mayes being the other). I'm doing this from a very cloudy memory but I think Chris put up huge #s during his junior year at Lake Orion and had a lot of big time interest but got hurt in his 1st game of his senior year and I'll assume the interest melted away.
Chris had at least 4 MAC offers going into senior year. Lehigh stuck with him.

ALL PL teams announced Ty got 1st team. Haffner.Fournier,Gurth, Snyder and Wimberly 2nd team. Haffner absolutely robbed.

The odd take from Pard game is that overall Brisson called a good game. The huge exception being the run options with a QB that wont run.Why keep calling them? Do any coaches put the QB under C anymore? Rewatched the game. Lots of mistakes,missed assignments on O. When we executed we moved. To be fair some good calls by Pard DC and good play by Pard DL.
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:17 pm

And the rumor mill is revving up. :lol: So much speculation about staff and players.

One more thought . I wonder why we didnt run a Wildcat set as was done with Colvin. An ideal way to run read options and good fits for Shoup and Beesmer. Was it lack of time? Bodies? Dunno but certainly an option for next year with Beesmer who is coming back next year.
van

Post by van » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:50 pm

How about we put the QB under center and let tailback start to run at snap instead of standing like a statue until QB takes snap does a little danc3 and hands off just in time for DL to get penetration
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:58 pm

van wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:50 pm How about we put the QB under center and let tailback start to run at snap instead of standing like a statue until QB takes snap does a little danc3 and hands off just in time for DL to get penetration
Another better option for sure.