Lehigh Lafayette

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
LUopa

Re: Lehigh Lafayette

Post by LUopa » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:17 am

Final Spring stats Total Defense 7th in country of 97. Almost everyone coming back...Total Offense 95th of 97. Transition to a wishbone would be hard...I like group thots on 2 QB attack- runner who can pass...passer who could run...

RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:16 pm

The staff shuffle starts. Noticed this AM an ad by Lehigh for a full time asst, a low pay? Not unusual for assts to move around each year. Most are always searching for better jobs and advancement. we'll see if this presages a major staff shakeup.
Last edited by RichH on Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:48 pm

LUopa wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:17 am Final Spring stats Total Defense 7th in country of 97. Almost everyone coming back...Total Offense 95th of 97. Transition to a wishbone would be hard...I like group thots on 2 QB attack- runner who can pass...passer who could run...
While the defense has definitely improved the level of competition is skewing those stats considerably. Bucknell, Lafayette and Holy Cross (w/Degenhardt at QB) is not the best barometer. The Crusaders became a more formidable attack, despite being run heavy, with Sluka at QB.

Villanova, Richmond and hopefully Princeton will show how legit the defense is. 'Nova and the Spiders have good but not scary good offenses so I would like to believe Lehigh's defense can keep both of them in check. Princeton will probably be the best offense they play in the OOC. Fordham has the best PL offense and it's really not close imo. If Sluka develops into a passer then the Cross become THAT much more dangerous. I saw Sluka is up for the Jerry Rice Award (FCS Top Freshman).

The offense has to improve dramatically for Lehigh to have any hope of a winning record.
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:43 pm

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:48 pm
LUopa wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:17 am Final Spring stats Total Defense 7th in country of 97. Almost everyone coming back...Total Offense 95th of 97. Transition to a wishbone would be hard...I like group thots on 2 QB attack- runner who can pass...passer who could run...
While the defense has definitely improved the level of competition is skewing those stats considerably. Bucknell, Lafayette and Holy Cross (w/Degenhardt at QB) is not the best barometer. The Crusaders became a more formidable attack, despite being run heavy, with Sluka at QB.

Villanova, Richmond and hopefully Princeton will show how legit the defense is. 'Nova and the Spiders have good but not scary good offenses so I would like to believe Lehigh's defense can keep both of them in check. Princeton will probably be the best offense they play in the OOC. Fordham has the best PL offense and it's really not close imo. If Sluka develops into a passer then the Cross become THAT much more dangerous. I saw Sluka is up for the Jerry Rice Award (FCS Top Freshman).

The offense has to improve dramatically for Lehigh to have any hope of a winning record.
Very true. Its possible that O may improve. Before the start of next season? One can hope but not likely. There is no lead in to next season. OL will stabilize IMO even tho young. That alone will boost the O. Will we get a W in the 1st 5 weeks?
TMH

Post by TMH » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:56 pm

If anything, I think we have learned to temper our expectations. :-)

Personally, I was amazed at how many fans thought that we should compete for the PL Championship in 2019.
Gilmore was hired in mid January and over the next 2 months, he needed to replace most of his staff, try to fill a vastly undermanned roster with those who had not committed early then get to know each of his players personally before he could even get to know what their skill sets were like.

He inherited a team that was in bad shape in all 3 phases of the game. The defense was among the worst in the nation. On offense, the OL was in disarray and most of his high powered skill players graduated. He was left with a group of untested QBs. On special teams, we lost both our kicker and punter (same guy) to graduation.

By any definition, that is a recipe for failure. As fans, we set ourselves up to fail. We are in a better place right now, and the recruiting class is a good one. What we need to do is get all the pieces to gel and 2020 was no friend for a team desperately in need of cohesion.

I have no anticipation of beating CAA teams especially so early in the season. What I want in 2021, is a team that competes week in and week out against the PL and leaves it all on the field. I would love to see the offense grow like the defense did last year but mostly I want to see us get better every week. I'm really optimistic though for the intermediate future.
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:21 pm

Agree on future prospects. Expect team will be much better the wnd half of the season.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:51 pm

TMH wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:56 pm If anything, I think we have learned to temper our expectations. :-)

Personally, I was amazed at how many fans thought that we should compete for the PL Championship in 2019.
Gilmore was hired in mid January and over the next 2 months, he needed to replace most of his staff, try to fill a vastly undermanned roster with those who had not committed early then get to know each of his players personally before he could even get to know what their skill sets were like.

He inherited a team that was in bad shape in all 3 phases of the game. The defense was among the worst in the nation. On offense, the OL was in disarray and most of his high powered skill players graduated. He was left with a group of untested QBs. On special teams, we lost both our kicker and punter (same guy) to graduation.

By any definition, that is a recipe for failure. As fans, we set ourselves up to fail. We are in a better place right now, and the recruiting class is a good one. What we need to do is get all the pieces to gel and 2020 was no friend for a team desperately in need of cohesion.

I have no anticipation of beating CAA teams especially so early in the season. What I want in 2021, is a team that competes week in and week out against the PL and leaves it all on the field. I would love to see the offense grow like the defense did last year but mostly I want to see us get better every week. I'm really optimistic though for the intermediate future.
I don't anticipate beating Villanova or Richmond to start the year but I'd like to think the coaching staff can put a team on the field that is at least competitive with those two teams; don't get blown out. Unfortunately, I have my doubts on so much as a moral victory. As for the PL, it's currently the lowest ranked FCS conference in the country so simply being competitive within it at this point is not going to cut it for me. Although, with this current coaching staff that's probably the best we can reasonably hope for. 2 or 3 wins at most.

I just wish we had a truly competent, top shelf coach like Chesney at Holy Cross. Gilmore isn't qualified to be his water boy.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:32 pm

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:51 pm
TMH wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:56 pm If anything, I think we have learned to temper our expectations. :-)

I don't anticipate beating Villanova or Richmond to start the year but I'd like to think the coaching staff can put a team on the field that is at least competitive with those two teams; don't get blown out. Unfortunately, I have my doubts on so much as a moral victory. As for the PL, it's currently the lowest ranked FCS conference in the country so simply being competitive within it at this point is not going to cut it for me. Although, with this current coaching staff that's probably the best we can reasonably hope for. 2 or 3 wins at most.

I just wish we had a truly competent, top shelf coach like Chesney at Holy Cross. Gilmore isn't qualified to be his water boy.
Gilmore isn't qualified to be his water boy. Are you auditioning? :D
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:11 pm

LU808 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:32 pm
Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:51 pm

Gilmore isn't qualified to be his water boy. Are you auditioning? :D
Perhaps! A free trip to Brookings and the FCS playoffs?!? I've been to NDSU, Montana and Montana State for games but never 'Wabbit Country.

There has to be some legit tangible improvement this fall. While the recruiting has been "ok" it simply hasn't been at the level of Chesney or even Conlin at Fordham. Colgate has seen a drop in talent too due to Hunt and his staff not keeping up. Gilmore and the staff have to develop what they have on the roster. That's part of what makes a great coach and staff. The ability to inherit someone else's trash and at least make it competent before the next step can be taken.

We all know this program's ceiling at the FCS level. I understand Gilmore took over a tough situation but I will never concede that it should take more than 2-3 years (Covid or not) to at least put a respectable (.500'ish) product on the field at Lehigh; especially while in the Patriot League. Heck, Gilmore managed 6-5's and 7-4's at Holy Cross out of the gate.

This ship should be headed in the right direction this fall. There's no excuse for it not to be at this point. Sadly, based on the spring I don't see it. Lehigh (and Colgate) had awful spring seasons. There's no way around it. Holy Cross, Bucknell and Fordham definitely head into the fall with some legit, justified positive mojo. I'd add Lafayette too even though they feasted on "lowly" Lehigh and Colgate.

I just can't help but think the leaves will be at their peak before there's any chance at a win in fall. The losing is going to start piling up and will take its toll. I want to be optimistic too but this program hasn't won a football game since October 26th 2019. Other than blind faith I don't see what tangible evidence there is that justifies the notion we'll see a team that really shows signs of progress. If Gilmore makes a good, sound hire at OC then I'll have some hope for statistical improvement on that side of the ball. That COULD pave the way for a "trending in the right direction"/.500ish type season.

TMH, I just want a legit reason to believe this year. Unfortunately, I can't help but think we're looking at a 1 or 2 win season without some great assistant hires. Time will tell, just over 4 months until Villanova...
TMH

Post by TMH » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:45 pm

I think our biggest disagreement is the importance placed on this spring.

I tried to explain about tempering expectations to both the wrestling crowd and the football crowd before their respective seasons even began. Some just chose not to believe it.

I have no idea how Chesney will perform going forward. He appears to be a very good recruiter has has gone 12-12 so far in the fall and 3-8 in the OOC (admittedly a tough schedule). He may be incredibly successful, in which case, he'll leave and time will go on.

I'm also not about to write Gilmore off as a failure with just one season under far less than optimal conditions. He has only had one true recruiting year which I consider to be a significant success at least on paper. Time will tell. What I do know is that he appears to have addressed our most pressing need on the OL. I also believe that the change in culture especially on defense is remarkable.

Yes, I know what our high water mark is but Kevin Higgins inherited a team that was 7-4, losing 3 games to top 25 teams and promptly had 3 non-winning seasons before hitting the Holy Grail with his recruiting classes. Gilmore won 2 COY awards in his first 6 years at Holy Cross. Give the man a chance or at least the same slack you are giving Chesney.