New Football Roster

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
TMH

Re: New Football Roster

Post by TMH » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:55 am

LUopa wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:48 am We have to get the metrics right. The last full season in 2019 we were 4-7, 3-3 in league with a super difficult OOC schedule. The defense will be better in fall 2021 with an opportunity to be special. I think we could have 4 or 5 1st team All league players on defense. Compared to 2019 season, the OL and QB play should be better. We have the RBs, WRs and TE. I would like to see a little more under center snaps with play action since some of that seemed to work in 2019. 6-5 overall and a 4-2 in league seems like a reasonable goal for this team.
+1

That is the way I see it. Interesting fact: Holy Cross is being held out there as the team to beat in the PL and that is probably true. If those exhibitions in spring mean anything, Lehigh's defense held Holy Cross to just over 200 yds of total offense and that is with an ineffective offense keeping them on the field a lot.

RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:48 am

TMH wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:55 am
LUopa wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:48 am We have to get the metrics right. The last full season in 2019 we were 4-7, 3-3 in league with a super difficult OOC schedule. The defense will be better in fall 2021 with an opportunity to be special. I think we could have 4 or 5 1st team All league players on defense. Compared to 2019 season, the OL and QB play should be better. We have the RBs, WRs and TE. I would like to see a little more under center snaps with play action since some of that seemed to work in 2019. 6-5 overall and a 4-2 in league seems like a reasonable goal for this team.
+1

That is the way I see it. Interesting fact: Holy Cross is being held out there as the team to beat in the PL and that is probably true. If those exhibitions in spring mean anything, Lehigh's defense held Holy Cross to just over 200 yds of total offense and that is with an ineffective offense keeping them on the field a lot.
+1
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:08 pm

+1

Connor Degenhardt was a below average QB (not going to make waves nationally with him) and Chesney knew it. He made the switch to Sluka when they were down to Fordham and the Crusader's offense took off; relatively speaking. I have think the Crusaders offense will be a bit more formidable with Sluka having legit game experience heading into the fall.

Fordham will have the best offense in the league imo. The Rams are loaded....
Last edited by Go Lehigh TU Owl on Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:12 pm

I like the optimism! Lets see of the coaching staff can make those "coulds", "shoulds" and "woulds" a reality!
TMH

Post by TMH » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:41 pm

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:08 pm
+1

Connor Degenhardt was a below average QB (not going to make waves nationally with him) and Chesney knew it. He made the switch to Sluka when they were down to Fordham and the Crusader's offense took off; relatively speaking. I have think the Crusaders offense will be a bit more formidable with Sluka having legit game experience heading into the fall.

Fordham will have the best offense in the league imo. The Rams are loaded....
Sluka is a complete enigma for me. I have no idea if there was even opposition film during this spring season but so far he seems like a clone of Shafnisky but hasn't yet shown the same talent level but time will tell.

He made his debut against Fordham in the Ram's first game and I think they weren't prepared for his running ability.
stats 33 yds passing 145 rushing

Bucknell may or may not have been more ready for it

stats 78 yds passing 61 rushing

South Dakota St.

76 passing 22 rushing

He's young so he may improve or defenses may adapt. As I said, time will tell.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:16 pm

Lehigh74 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:13 pm Great analysis TMH. Makes me feel a lot more positive about the upcoming season.
+1
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:30 am

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:12 pm
I like the optimism! Lets see of the coaching staff can make those "coulds", "shoulds" and "woulds" a reality!
Never happen with this OC. It’s just that simple. If there was a young new OC I would see the likelihood of success much greater. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:42 am

I agree that Brisson’s play calling and the overall predictability of our offense has been very disappointing. However, without a reliable offense line it’s difficult to get anything done. Let’s hope that, this year, both our offensive line and the production of our offense will improve dramatically. It happened on defense, why not on offense?
TMH

Post by TMH » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:23 pm

Lehigh74 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:42 am I agree that Brisson’s play calling and the overall predictability of our offense has been very disappointing. However, without a reliable offense line it’s difficult to get anything done. Let’s hope that, this year, both our offensive line and the production of our offense will improve dramatically. It happened on defense, why not on offense?
I agree. Brisson has shown that he can produce when loaded with talent (2017) but is not the type of OC that can produce something from nothing. That takes flexibility and innovation. If that guy is out there somewhere, I'm more than OK bringing him in. The skill positions on paper have the capability of being really good. As you say, it is the offensive line that will stir the drink.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:12 am

Lehigh74 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:42 am I agree that Brisson’s play calling and the overall predictability of our offense has been very disappointing. However, without a reliable offense line it’s difficult to get anything done. Let’s hope that, this year, both our offensive line and the production of our offense will improve dramatically. It happened on defense, why not on offense?
Because the defensive staff was changed under Gilmore and he has a defensive mindset. The opportunity to start fresh on O was missed and until that change is made, no significant progress. The OL placed two on the PL All-Conference team last spring. Other teams were younger up front. The OL excuse is getting old. Find a way to be successful with what you have, that is what good coaches do. Any OC can be successful given top talent. Watch Lehigh’s route combinations….zero separation. Run game schemes that need a running QB yet Lehigh plays non-running QB. Red Zone creativity is abysmal. The list is long.