New Football Roster

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
TMH

New Football Roster

Post by TMH » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:21 pm

The updated roster is out. I haven't had a chance to scour it yet but Rybka and Rakowsky, both of whom have been battling significant injuries are now off the roster.

On the upside, both Haffner and Norris are back as 5th years which should really solidify the linebacking corps and hence the defense.

Side note: Garcia is not on the roster...yet. I'll assume the ink has to dry on the paperwork in Admissions.

RichH

Re: New Football Roster

Post by RichH » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:56 pm

Roster at 85

sr 10
Jr 22
so 29
fr 26

Mike Laurencelle DL off roster.

justin Watson OL off roster

expect we'll see laRue and Garcia when their admissions are complete
TMH

Post by TMH » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:25 pm

LaRue's admission won't be complete for quite awhile. He is a commit for '22.

Sorry to see see Laurencelle and Watson go. I think both have been a contributor this year. This is going to be a really young team.
RichH

Post by RichH » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:02 pm

Thanks TMh I had him on the wrong list :oops:
van

Post by van » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:35 pm

both Haffner and Norris back, very good news
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:23 am

Liam McIntyre OLB. 6'0 205. LIU
His transfer to Lehigh mentioned some months back. Confirmation last night that he has done so and will be on team.
Originally set for Brown but finances required a flip. A full ride at LIU where his Dad played (CW Post)
A redshirt soph at LIU. Guess a soph here.66 tackles in 10 games as a frosh.
TMH

Post by TMH » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:22 am

Great news !!

Only a week ago, I thought that LB could be a weal link in our defense and suddenly, it may be our strength with Haffner, Norris, and now McIntyre.

BTW, the latter was a freshman All-American at LIU.

Our defense could be really tough this year.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:03 pm

Following a phenomenal rookie campaign, Hero Sports named Long Island University freshman linebacker Liam McIntyre to its freshman All-America team on Tuesday, Dec. 17.

McIntyre, the 2018 Carl A. Hansen award winner for the top high school football player in Suffolk County, continued to add to his resume with an honorable mention on the rookie All-America squad. The local product was a staple on the Sharks' defense all season, starting all 10 games at linebacker and ranking second on the team with 66 tackles.

Along with ranking second on the team in total tackles, McIntyre ranked 13th overall in the Northeast Conference in tackles per game and led all freshmen in the conference in tackles per game. In addition to his 66 tackles, he added six tackles for loss, one sack, one quarterback hurry, and one pass breakup.

During his collegiate debut, McIntyre led the Sharks with eight tackles at No. 3 South Dakota State University and tallied his first career double-digit output against Sacred Heart University the following game. At Central Connecticut State University, McIntyre posted eight tackles with one tackle for loss and one fumble recovery, while adding a season-high two tackles for loss at Robert Morris University.

Initially a verbal commit to Brown, McIntyre instead switched to LIU in March for financial reasons. His father, Bob, played outside linebacker for C.W. Post from 1986-88, and Collins said he was pleased to add “a talented son of a former player of ours.”

But that wasn’t the only draw for Collins. He said there was something about McIntyre’s confidence that he attributes to wrestling.

“His success on the football field as well as his success in the sport of wrestling, where you’re out there by yourself, that’s about as competitive as you can be,” Collins said.

That competitiveness helped McIntyre transition to not just college life, but a new position. An inside linebacker and fullback in high school, McIntyre shifted outside and never missed a beat. Collins said he could tell by McIntyre’s inquisitiveness that he’d be a fit for the position.

“It was a big adjustment I had to make, but you have to do what you have to do to be able to compete here,” McIntyre said.

Outside linebackers are a hybrid position at LIU. They aren’t just tasked with containing the run. McIntyre said he also practices with the defensive backs because his duties include playing man defense against slot receivers, among other pass-coverage responsibilities.

It’s a relatively complex scheme that Collins said requires a level of intelligence that McIntyre possesses.

“Our schemes defensively, you have to be a smart football player,” Collins said. “Going up a level, we’re not going to be able to sit there and line up in a vanilla set with vanilla coverages.”

McIntyre’s heady play and obvious athleticism have Collins excited for his future. He’s a role player now, but he’s being groomed for more.

Said Collins: “I envision him as a leader of his team as he gets older, no doubt.”
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:07 pm

The defense has the potential to be pretty good so long as the offense doesn't leave them on the field too often (which I think will happen). This is Kashurba's 4th year and he has history with Gilmore so there's no excuse why the defense should struggle at this point. The system is in place.

The PL offenses have been way down the last 2-3 years so the OOC slate will definitely provide a good barometer as to how the unit will stack up nationally! I love how the OOC provides plenty of opportunities to show where this program is! No where to hide!
TMH

Post by TMH » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:35 pm

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:07 pm The defense has the potential to be pretty good so long as the offense doesn't leave them on the field too often (which I think will happen). This is Kashurba's 4th year and he has history with Gilmore so there's no excuse why the defense should struggle at this point. The system is in place.

The PL offenses have been way down the last 2-3 years so the OOC slate will definitely provide a good barometer as to how the unit will stack up nationally! I love how the OOC provides plenty of opportunities to show where this program is! No where to hide!
Your bias is showing. Who is struggling on defense? Check the stats:

2013 Coen 31 ppg
2014 Coen 33 ppg
2015 Coen 35 ppg
2016 Coen 27 ppg
2017 Coen 41 ppg
2018 Coen 35 ppg
2019 Gilmore 21 ppg
2020-21 Gilmore 15 ppg

Are you noticing a trend yet? Give credit where credit is due. Obviously the cupboard wasn't stacked when Gilmore got here so the results are truly noteworthy if you choose to look.