New Football Roster

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
TMH

Re: New Football Roster

Post by TMH » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:13 pm

I'm looking at the offensive line for 2019-2020/21 per the roster

Hudson Reynolds No action as a freshman. Opted out of the spring season
Charlie Aberle Saw no action last spring (freshman year)
Kyle Reiss Saw no action last spring (freshman year)
George Padezanin Injured spring season (freshman year)
Chris Fournier Started all 11 games in his junior year. Hurt in Bucknell game, missed Lafayette in spring
Justin Watson Started Holy Cross and Lafayette, injured Bucknell (freshman year
Brendon Passarelli Started 9 games at RG as freshman. Hurt in Holy Cross game at LG in spring
Jackson Wiles DNP Holy Cross/ started Bucknell/missed Lafayette to injury in freshman year
Jan Maciejewski Injured both his soph and junior season
Justin Gurth Iron man..started 25 straight games at C
Renach Gena No action as freshman in spring
Jack Fris 3 starts in 2019 as soph. 2 starts in spring, 1 at RT, the other at LG
Jack Kempsey No action as a freshman. Started all 3 games in spring. 1 at LG and 2 at RG

Anybody see a problem here?

Six of the 13 OL were freshmen in a year with little to no practice. Three others missed the entire season due to injury or opting out. Others missed games or were forced to start while seeing no action prior to this season. Several switched positions in mid-season. There was only 1 senior. There were only 2 juniors who saw action prior to this spring season. There was a new OL coach, no practice time and I'll venture that a significant part of this list were WOs

Other than that...there should be no excuses.

RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:16 pm

Problems ?? :lol:
Another new coach. 15 players. 2/3 starters . 10 are so/fr. 5 of whom are likely WOs.
Talent is there I think but so young and inexperienced.
I wouldnt even venture a guess on starters or a 2 deep after Gurth and Passarelli.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:22 pm

TMH wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:35 pm
Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:07 pm The defense has the potential to be pretty good so long as the offense doesn't leave them on the field too often (which I think will happen). This is Kashurba's 4th year and he has history with Gilmore so there's no excuse why the defense should struggle at this point. The system is in place.

The PL offenses have been way down the last 2-3 years so the OOC slate will definitely provide a good barometer as to how the unit will stack up nationally! I love how the OOC provides plenty of opportunities to show where this program is! No where to hide!
Your bias is showing. Who is struggling on defense? Check the stats:

2013 Coen 31 ppg
2014 Coen 33 ppg
2015 Coen 35 ppg
2016 Coen 27 ppg
2017 Coen 41 ppg
2018 Coen 35 ppg
2019 Gilmore 21 ppg
2020-21 Gilmore 15 ppg

Are you noticing a trend yet? Give credit where credit is due. Obviously the cupboard wasn't stacked when Gilmore got here so the results are truly noteworthy if you choose to look.
My bias is showing? I was referencing the PL offensive stats since 2018. They're way down across the board. The PL has been home to some of the worst offenses in the FCS the last 3 years or so. Colgate's 2018 defense was without question awesome but they also padded their stats against some horrific PL offenses. There's no bias there. That's reality; look the those stats.

No doubt that Lehigh's defense went down the tubes after Coach K left. Everyone acknowledges that. The end of the Coen era was a mess from a continuity standpoint. They really didn't have a DC the last two years iirc. It was Donnie Roberts and committee. Could the allocation of resources to the OC spot at the time (Cecchini then Folmer (left HC job at Kutztown) been a factor in not attracting a top flight assistant?. It seems to be Coen and company went all in on offense in 2016 and 2017 and rode it as far as it would take them.

I'm just tired of the excuses. It's time to get the ship headed in the right direction. Gilmore has had enough time to put his finger prints on the program. He was brought in to be a smooth transition and navigate the PL waters. Time to get it done!
Last edited by Go Lehigh TU Owl on Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:24 pm

RichH wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:16 pm Problems ?? :lol:
Another new coach. 15 players. 2/3 starters . 10 are so/fr. 5 of whom are likely WOs.
Talent is there I think but so young and inexperienced.
I wouldnt even venture a guess on starters or a 2 deep after Gurth and Passarelli.
Rich you and I know Gilmore's history of assistant turnover. It was a widely known and transparent issue in Worcester. This was to be expected. It's time to win! I'm sick of the excuses.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:03 pm

This year's freshmen will be only Gilmore's second class, right, as he was hired in January 2019, when many that year had already committed?

I agree with some others: His impact is clear on D.

Seems like he will/maybe should get a pass for the next year or two on winning a PL championship.

When he's recruited three or four classes and the O remains impotent, it would be time for a change.

Gilmore's hire from outside compared with the Higgins-Lembo switch shows the importance of succession planning on coaching staffs.
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:31 pm

Lots of ifs.The status of the program is no mystery. The issues are valid and real. TG has no choice but to solve them not rely on them to excuse a poor season. A success for This team would be a winning record with an O that can score.
owl is right about TG's history with assts. We differ a bit as I dont see it as terrible. The only unusual turnover has been at OL. 0 for 2.I chalk up last season as a mulligan. Little if anything to be learned. Year 1 OL was devastated by injuries.OL coach failed to get any semblance of an OL thru most of the seaon.He left.
The core of his staff is steady and has done good work.
OL primary goal.
Brisson needs to put a QB on the field and adapt the O to fit that QBs strength.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:33 am

Sundayamqb wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:03 pm This year's freshmen will be only Gilmore's second class, right, as he was hired in January 2019, when many that year had already committed?

Seems like he will/maybe should get a pass for the next year or two on winning a PL championship.

When he's recruited three or four classes and the O remains impotent, it would be time for a change.

Gilmore's hire from outside compared with the Higgins-Lembo switch shows the importance of succession planning on coaching staffs.
Spot on.

Fans can have so little patience (more on that later :-))

Kevin Higgins is considered God-like to Lehigh fans today. He took over a program that won the Patriot League the year before. He then had 1 winning season in his first 4 until he got his players in place and then the magic happened for 3 years.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:24 am

Sundayamqb wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:03 pm This year's freshmen will be only Gilmore's second class, right, as he was hired in January 2019, when many that year had already committed?

Recruiting classes shouldn't matter that much when it comes to a quality head coach/quality staff. Sure there will be some speed bumps along the way but a quality staff can come in and change the culture immediately. That means taking the current roster and instilling a new belief, sense of ability and cohesion and improving it to there point where there's tangible results in the W/L column. Moorhead took a 1-10 team at Fordham and made won 6 games the next year. Biddle took over an 0-11 team (1995) and went 6-5 in 1996. Bob Chesney took over a morbid program under Gilmore and won a PL title in his second year. Hell, even Frank Tavani built a great staff that was able to take a program on the brink of D3/disbandment and posted a winning record in his 3rd year. That 2002 campaign also saw the end to a seven game long losing streak to Lehigh (who was a top 20 program then). Al Golden and his staff had a similar impact at Temple.

Gilmore is 0-6 against Holy Cross, Bucknell and Lafayette. Time to win games...no damn excuses!
Last edited by Go Lehigh TU Owl on Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:29 am

TMH wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:33 am

Spot on.

Fans can have so little patience (more on that later :-))

Kevin Higgins is considered God-like to Lehigh fans today. He took over a program that won the Patriot League the year before. He then had 1 winning season in his first 4 until he got his players in place and then the magic happened for 3 years.
Higgins got by in large part to the 1996 and 1997 comeback wins against Lafayette. There were definitely grumblings regarding Higgins entering the 1997 Lafayette game. Lehigh was the 1997 PL favorites (Abdullah's sr year) but they suffered an awful opening season loss to Fordham then got crushed at Colgate (I was there) which really got the pressure mounting. If Stambaugh and Co. don't come back to beat Lafayette to close out the 1997 season perhaps the 1998-2005 run never happens. Higgins also referenced the Delaware game the week before Lafayette in 1997 as program tide turner. The Hens came to Goodman in the Top 5 and Lehigh went toe-2-toe with them.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:39 pm

OK, my memory of events differ a bit from yours.
There was more than a little grumbling with Higgins when they first hired him and certainly during his 1st four seasons. Had the impatient Lehigh faithful got their way, perhaps Stambaugh goes somewhere else or pursues baseball and we never see the fruition of his efforts.

Pete Lembo goes 44-14 (76% WP) and wins the Eddie Robinson award and the impatient Lehigh fan base wants his head because of 2 losses to Lafayette. He leaves.

As for Frank Tavani, his record resembled Kevin Higgins in his 1st 7 years. He had 3 losing seasons in his first 4 including 2 seasons with 2 wins each. It took him 4 years to get to the point of creating his legacy of 3 PL titles.

So let's talk Holy Cross. The "morbid program" that Chesney took over had enough fire power on it to crush #9 New Hampshire 51-26 and barely lose to FBS UConn 27-20. There were issues there but the cupboard was by no means empty.

Conversely, his predecessor, named Gilmore took over a program that was 1-11 and went 3-8 his first year before putting together a string of 7 winning seasons, finishing no lower than 2nd in the PL over the last 5.

So why do you insist on idolizing a certain few and condemning only the last one?
Interestingly, Gilmore was a 2 X COY in the Patriot League and a finalist for the Eddie Robinson award in addition to National Assistant Coach of the year at Lehigh. He has a pedigree.

Patience is only half the problem with the Lehigh or perhaps all fan bases.