Defense-Fall 2021

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
TMH

Defense-Fall 2021

Post by TMH » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:42 pm

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder. After 18 month of a non-existent then highly diluted athletic season, the band-aid is finally being ripped open and regardless of wins and losses, I couldn't be happier about it. Since I will be much less active here in August, to most people's delight :-), I wanted to get a discussion going about this year's team by doing my version of an analysis of each unit. I urge everyone to join in and express their opinion.

First the Defense

History

The 2019 team under Coach K (Kasurba) saw #s reminiscent of the last Coach K (Kotolski) and that's a really good thing. That team was laced with a lot of veteran players (Woetzell, McColskey, O'Neill et al.)but for the first time the results showed their talent. IMO, that was due solely to much better schemes (putting players in the position to make plays) and a culture shift to toughness.

Spring 2021 was tough to assess due to whole lot of factors centering around Covid. Historically defenses are always ahead of offenses in spring so this year I was looking for signs that 2019 was not an aberration. Allowing only 15.2 ppg and 252 yds of total offense while experimenting with positions and combinations against limited competition gave me a sense of real confidence that our defense is on the right course.

So Fall, 2020..look forward to a defense that may be really talented, deep and young....God willing :-). We have been running a 3-4 defense with one of the LB serving as a rover (I think). I see no reason to expect a change.

Defensive Line

The defensive Line is virtually totally intact from the spring. Dean Colton (JR) will once again be our NG. It is probably our one position of little depth so I expect freshmen like Xavier Stephens or Ty Nichlolas to see a bit of action. The DE position is deep and young. It will include Mikhar Sibblis (JR), Michael Callahan (JR) , Trevor Harris SO) and Christian Jablonski (SO), all of whom saw considerable action with a great deal of success this spring.

TMH

Re: Defense-Fall 2021

Post by TMH » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:03 pm

Linebackers

Thought to be our Achilles heel this fall suddenly turns into our strength. Three of our starting LBs gradualted this spring. That's never a good thing. However Pete Haffner and Nate Norris return for a 5th year. That is exactly where you want your veteran leadership to be. Add highly touted transfer Liam McIntyre to the roster and now I'm really liking this unit. In addition, there is a lot of depth here with sophs Mike Denucci and Tim Bell in the middle and Junior Stepon Bland on the outside. The other OL (rover) position was manned by JR Mitchell Lawhead and SO Devari Robinson with significant success.

Again, based on my unsophiticated obsevation, I see talent, depth and youth

Secondary

Divine Buckrham was to be our lone senior starter in this group last spring but was injured early so again, everyone returns. TyGee Leach (JR) is the lynchpin in this unit at SS and as 1st ALL PL, he should only get better. Current SO Donovan Thomas filled in as the FS and at 6-3, he is going to be a force back there. LaTriel Wimberley CB, was the only FR to be chosen All-PL (2nd Team) in the entire league. JR. Jack Bush will likely start the season on the other side. Add a slew of SO (FR in the spring season) like Spencer Roof , Corey Meltzer, Donovan Lassiter and there is ample reason to be pumped IMHO. Of course the proof is in the pudding but there is plenty of reason to be optimistic about this defense.

Comments are welcome!!
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:31 pm

Thanks TMH.

Not a lot to add. DL s/b solid at least. Inside depth on DL is scarce. Bland could help inside and out. Murphy, at 265 now perhaps a good fit inside as well.
LBs a bit light on experience behind Haff and Norris . Agree Bell and Denucci showed well in ltd time last year. McIntyre a wild card add that give Coach K a real good option in 3 LB sets.
2ndary is deep and very talented. Leach and Wimberly are studs. Lawhead a force on the edge Robinson may be best athlete in 2ndary. Lavelle may be a factor at Rover
LUopa

Post by LUopa » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:49 pm

We are a little light on depth on the inside DL due to injuries. We have alot of young guys on DL that will work in at zero and 3 technique. Excellent size with the new kids on line. I think excellent goals for the defense top 10 FCS scoring defense. Under 100 yds a game rushing and under 150 yds passing. 2019 the defense was more bend don't break. They played their hearts out in SHU and Lafayette loses. This year would like to see more turnovers created and fewer yards on breakdowns in coverage and poor tackling. Would like to see a little more blitzing also...Villanova and Richmond will be great measuring sticks to see how we do against Ivies and Pat league.