Villanova

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
IPSY1975

Re: Villanova

Post by IPSY1975 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:02 pm

How does your Head Coach leave an Offensive Coordinator around for 8 Seasons without any dramatic results?

Score is embarrassment

It seems like Holy Cross post Tom Gilmore headed in right direction beating UCONN

Sorry but it appears Joe Sterrett made a hasty decision with this hire

Gotta see improvement or blow it up imo

Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:10 pm

No real surprises in this one. Lehigh is completely inept in virtually all phases and that's the result of a terrible coaching staff. Today's display was simply awful because everything pretty much went to script. All the issues and problems persisted! The offense is a disgrace and the defense is weak against legit competition. In order to be an above average defense you actually have to tackle! Did anyone honestly believe the nonsense that the defense was good?

I love the fact Richmond and Princeton are next. Either improve or keep getting embarrassed....
mookie

Post by mookie » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:35 pm

I knew they would get blown out when 5 minutes before kickoff 1/2 the team was in the end zone on bended knee praying...WTF? Wouldn't know where to start to fix things but I do know praying isn't going to help.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:21 pm

Other than last year, it's been 55 years since LU had a winless season (0-9 in 1966).

In four of the five years around that 0-win season LU won only one game per season, until Dunlap turned things around after two one-win years.

Dunlap's two wins in his first three years: Ithaca and Lafayette.

He had three straight losses to Gettysburg.

LU football team can only go up from this week, but expectations must be low.

Seems to me there is some potential talent on O, but ... OMG! What's going on?
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:36 pm

I just looked at the stats: (-12) yards net rushing for LU; 139 yard total offense. 6 TOs.

Wow ...

Anyone remember anything worse than this?
LUopa

Post by LUopa » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:09 am

I couldn't imagine us giving us over 500 yards on defense. Out classed in every phase of the game. Watched 5th year seniors on that Nova O line push us around a good bit. Let's not judge after one game. The kids moral seemed pretty good taking it in stride. We had injuries. crows small due to Penn State on TV perhaps.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:51 am

I'm looking for a positive and came away with great weather and the opportunity to watch football live again with friends I haven't seen in 2 years.

As for what I saw on the field, about the only positive for me was better pass protection than I've seen in a while.
Unfortunately Wilkinson appeared lost and lacked the arm strength to complete passes downfield. I know...I've been warned :-)

The marker has been laid down. Now to see if we adjust going forward. The OOC schedule is truly brutal. My focus is getting ready for the PL.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:20 am

Rewatched game. Even uglier 2ndvtime around.
Takeaways.
CW a deer in headlights too often. All 3 INTs were our mistake not a Nova play. CW fine with single read plays. Roll outs and 3 step drop and throw. Doesnt execute well if play has to develop. Part of that us the OL but just as much is him.Far too many off target passes.
OL trashed start to finish Outmanned outclassed
A good part of that is Nova's talent/ experience. OLs take time and reps to jell. This line has had neither yet.
Brisson has adapted the O to better use his talent. Nice to see Snyder getting more targets. Multiple sets and a good scheme that only lacked execution. Garcia ran very well. Able to get yards after contact. OL rarely got any RB beoynad the front 7 of Nova.
D. Can nitpick good and bad plays but the overwhelming takeaway is abysmal tackling everywhere. Unbelievably weak. Reminiscent of the Ds in Andy's last few years. UGH.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:38 am

Rich,

This team is terrible in all phases. The inability to execute, do simple reads, block/tackle at this level is inexcusable. Lehigh is without question one of the worst PROGRAMS in the country. That alone should be unacceptable for a program that has an honest history of success since the mid 1970s.

I believe this 'Nova fans take (who predicted 51-10, they "know") is spot on...

"I was at the 47-3 win over Lehigh. Most telling was how bad Lehigh football has become the past few years. The Patriot League going to schollies hasn’t improved the play of most Patriot League teams. Quite sad to see how far Lehigh has fallen over the years."

Everything thing I've posted the last 18-24 months has been an honest, deep down assessment of Lehigh football. It's time to face reality. If you watched the TV2 broadcast you can tell the resignation in Mike Yadush's voice/comments (Kerr's wingman) given the overall disfunction. This is headed down a dark road for the rest of the season.

Holy Cross, Fordham and Lafayette will easily beat Lehigh barring catastrophic injuries. If getting one or two token wins against Georgetown, Colgate and Bucknell (perhaps 3 of the 25 worst FCS teams) is a sign of progress then I'll happily never be on that same page. Lafayette's 35-14 loss to Air Force is a sneaky good sign in 'Pardville. Air Force is a solid (7-5/9-3) FBS program with a tough homefield advantage; 7,000 ft and hot. They get W&M next week. I think Lafayette can win....

BTW, banner weekend for FCS against FBS. Montana beat #20 Washington, Holy Cross beat Uconn, ETSU easily took out Vandy, SDSDU rolled Colorado State, UC-Davis ('19 Lehigh opponent) beat Tulsa, UNI had a near miss against #7 Iowa State, Missouri State had Oklahoma State on the ropes, likewise Montana State vs Wyoming.
Last edited by Go Lehigh TU Owl on Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
IPSY1975

Post by IPSY1975 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:39 am

Sundayamqb wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:21 pm Other than last year, it's been 55 years since LU had a winless season (0-9 in 1966).

In four of the five years around that 0-win season LU won only one game per season, until Dunlap turned things around after two one-win years.

Sundayamqb wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:21 pm Other than last year, it's been 55 years since LU had a winless season (0-9 in 1966).

I want to be optimistic...yes. But Dunlap started from zero and TG inherits a Championship Program . We have clearly regressed. After Richmond and 3 Ivies will there be more excuses? I hope not . In his third year Gilmore has to show something tbh