Villanova

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

Villanova

Post by RichH » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:18 am

Some early lines
Bassett. Nova 45-31

Massey. Nova 26-17

LFN has a great article in College Sports Journal highlighting our D. A very good read..
Of note. Leach has been moved to OLB. A genius move I believe. Haffner Norris at ILB.

Go Lehigh TU Owl

Re: Villanova

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:36 am

RichH wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:18 am Some early lines
Bassett. Nova 45-31

Massey. Nova 26-17

LFN has a great article in College Sports Journal highlighting our D. A very good read..
Of note. Leach has been moved to OLB. A genius move I believe. Haffner Norris at ILB.
I think the defense is being looked at through the "patriot league" prism a bit too much. While I believe the unit is "solid" I don't believe its good enough to truly slowdown (less than 30 pts) quality FCS competition. In fact I'll be rather surprised if Lehigh's defense holds the better teams on their schedule (Yale, Princeton, Villanova, Richmond, Fordham and Holy Cross) to less than 30 ppg.

The offense will cause the defense to wear down. Plus, the DL is still extremely suspect in terms of size which keeps it prone to being pushed around by good OL play.
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:03 pm

Bassett. Nova 45-31

Massey. Nova 26-17

Lehigh, at least under Gilmore it seems, has manned one OLB, with someone who is undersized, usually a safety turned LB. Last year it started with Lawhead. Is it really a rover i.e someone who can hit like a LB but drop back in coverage like an additional safety.?

Any idea who the other OLB is then? Lawhead, Robinson, or McIntyre or someone else?
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:35 pm

That is Slater's spot. Perhaps Bland a converted LB or Harris. Trevor has to see a lot of PT.

Do get owl's dire take on Lehigh. We are young. Nova is a veteran squad with a lot of talent. No matter how good the D is it will not last if the O cannot keep the ball and score points.
Will O be ready for Nova? Unlikely but one can hope.
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:08 pm

Game Notes are up

Lehigh is starting the season with experience

Interesting observations:

DeNucci is starting at ILB and Norris is moving outside
As noted before Leach is the other OLB

The offensive line is made up of all veterans although 4 of them were injured for most if not all of the "spring season"

RaShawn Allen will start the season as our RB. This should be a real competition.
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:23 pm

the notes are an interesting read for everyone. Wow
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:36 pm

A lot of surprises. Didnt expect 6 frosh on the 2 deep.
OL depth shaky. Hopefully more of the frosh will level up over the season.
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:45 pm

Starting lineups, at this stage doesn't mean much and the game notes aren't always accurate. Things will evolve with the real goal of putting together the best lineup for the Patriot League.

With that said, none of our arguably 3 most decorated recruits were mentioned in the 2-deep.

BTW Bland and Wilkinson have the same number (11)
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:27 pm

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:36 am
Bassett. Nova 45-31

Massey. Nova 26-17

I think the defense is being looked at through the "patriot league" prism a bit too much. While I believe the unit is "solid" I don't believe its good enough to truly slowdown (less than 30 pts) quality FCS competition. In fact I'll be rather surprised if Lehigh's defense holds the better teams on their schedule (Yale, Princeton, Villanova, Richmond, Fordham and Holy Cross) to less than 30 ppg.

The offense will cause the defense to wear down. Plus, the DL is still extremely suspect in terms of size which keeps it prone to being pushed around by good OL play.
+1
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:14 am

Lehigh OL 293 vs Villanova DL 283
Villanova OL 317 vs Lehigh 253

'Nova should be able to pound Lehigh's defense into submission. Their QB is a really good athlete who will give the Lehigh "D" fits all afternoon. The more I think about this game the more I'm starting to believe a 51-10 type prediction might be closer to reality.

I honestly can't wait to see what type of team Gilmore puts on the field. This is Gilmore's 3rd year, Brisson's 8th year and Kashurba's 4th year on the staff. Time to show improvement.....