Villanova

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

Re: Villanova

Post by RichH » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:06 pm

TMH wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:09 pm I'd like to address a few points.

There is a reason that the NCAA gave everyone an additional year of eligibility. Last year was a circus, more so for some schools than others. Veteran teams across the board fared better than others. Take very little from it.

This is now Gilmore's team almost by default. The vast majority of this team is made up of his 2 full years of recruiting. The first year was dedicated to the defense which was obviously the area of greatest need. By all accounts, this year is dedicated to restructuring the offense. You will see changes. They said that the defense was designed based on the personnel. This year you will probably see those kind of changes on offense.

As the season progresses, you will probably also see changes in the lineup. The freshman class is talented, but inexperienced and make some freshman mistakes. They will progress as the season wears on.

So how has recruiting done? It's tough to say since neither of his classes have yet to see a real season but the indications are very positive. In the spring season, the secondary was made up of almost all freshmen and they performed very well in what we saw. Wimberley was the only freshman to make all PL. Gaige Garcia was the #1 target in that class and now he is here with I believe 4 years of eligibility. OL George Padezanin may have been one of the most recruited individuals we ever got with 35 offers including most of the PL, Ivies, CAA and MAC. He missed the entire spring to injury. Cross Wilkinson was a 3 star recruit, ranked #3 in WV. He needed to get his sea legs under him again. This year he has the chance.
The next class needed offensive linemen and brought in a couple of 3 star recruits and another who was rated as the #6 OG in PA. They will eventually make their way into the lineup.

Have patience and enjoy a season. I missed not having one last year.
+1

LU808

Post by LU808 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:09 pm

LUFAN wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:30 am
TMH wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:22 pm Do you have any basis for that?

1.)Passarelli was hurt fairly early in the first game and didn't play after that. Fournier only played 2 games. Gurth was the only one to play all 3.

2.)Only 6 teams bothered playing in the spring (Georgetown did not). Colgate and I believe Holy Cross played 2.

3.) Fun fact: Lehigh's offense was atrocious and yet the coaches to allot 2 OL spots (2nd team) to Lehigh. The only 1st team PL selection was on defense (Leech) and Lehigh was 1st in total defense and 2nd in scoring defense. Go figure.

4.)Two decent OL will certainly not get the job done, especially when they have almost zero time together.
The basis is quite clear. The offensive slide began in 2018 with Mayes, Bragalone, Jorge, Bibbens, Fest, Gurth, Rosen, etc. Lehigh has cycled through countless bodies on the OL and none seem to be sufficient. Either bad recruiting, or it’s not the OL. I suspect the latter.
I wonder how much of the slide could be attributed to the Captain of the ship being ill w dementia....the slow progressive downward spiral takes it's toll on everyone in the afflicted' s circle.
TMH

Post by TMH » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:15 pm

LU808,

I truly believe more than we know. This team had to be almost totally rebuilt from the ground up.

I have all the respect in the world for Andy. He's was a great coach with some significant success here at Lehigh. He is a wonderful human being with great compassion for the young men he coached.

Now, we focus on the future and I like what I see. They may not be polished yet but I think they will be.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:43 pm

Agreed
Lu15

Post by Lu15 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:07 pm

https://www.college-sports-journal.com/ ... on-opener/

By the Great @LFN who were so lucky to have on this board!
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:52 pm

Lu15 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:07 pm https://www.college-sports-journal.com/ ... on-opener/

@LFN's prediction: 33-24. That might be a fun game to watch.

I hope he's right, but ...
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:22 pm

Latest Vegas line has Nova getting 12.5 pts.

Reading up on Nova a strong veteran O. Likevwise a solid veteran D with a a couple of studs but not a settled 2ndary.

An observation on CW. Regardless of husvyearscin college, he is essentially a froshvl with 3 games under his belt. I hope that means he will show marked mprovement as he plays more games.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:16 am

Sundayamqb wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:52 pm
Lu15 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:07 pm https://www.college-sports-journal.com/ ... on-opener/

@LFN's prediction: 33-24. That might be a fun game to watch.

I hope he's right, but ...
I had a chance to talk with Villanova's basketball/football play-by-play guy Ryan Fannon today. He seemed unabashed when it came to firmly stating Villanova has a very high ceiling this year. Seemed confident in the Wildcats ability to give Penn State a run for 60 minutes and didn't hide his belief that 'Nova is a legit threat to JMU's CAA throne. Time will tell if that's true but I do believe it is possible....

I gave Ryan a 42-13 final score. If that prediction comes to fruition I hope if/when Chuck sees Ryan in the press box "that guy at the CC of Scranton" gets a mention...
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:27 pm

44- 3 3rd period
Outclassed and out played. CW has had a few good plays amid an ocean of terrible ones. OL a mess today.

D some good play but atrocious tackling all day Nova ran thru tackles all game.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:34 pm

Chalk meet drawing Board....

Meanwhile Holy Cross is leading UCONN 31-28....very competitive.